• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shirt Alteration Tailor in Baltimore or DC

2008mbaer

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good tailor that can shorten the sleeves on my dress shirts? And maybe take in the waists?

I live in the Columbia, MD area so anywhere between Baltimore and DC would be ideal. I already go to Field for my suits, but he doesn't alter shirts.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help you on the shirts, but who is Field? I am in Baltimore and would love to find a really excellent tailor.

2008mbaer

Reaction score
William Field Custom Tailor in Georgetown. Read about him on this board and decided to check him out. He is known for his bespoke suits, but will also do alterations on OTR/RTW suits that you bring in. Apparently is the most expensive guy in the area, but I don't mind too much. I've taken a couple suits to him and I'm still waiting on them, so I can't speak to the quality.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
I used to live in Columbia. There is a really good guy off Dobbin road. In fact, I think the name of the place is Dobbin Tailor and his last name is Sung or Mung. A little gruff sometimes and his english is a little rough but he did a lot of alterations for me, shirts, suits, even narrowing ties, and I would still be using him if I lived nearby.

2008mbaer

Reaction score
Hi Nuke,

Do you remember about how much it cost to get work done on a dress shirt (Sleeves and Waist)? What type of work did you get done on your suits?

Thanks,
Mark

hangthree

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2008mbaer
William Field Custom Tailor in Georgetown. Read about him on this board and decided to check him out. He is known for his bespoke suits, but will also do alterations on OTR/RTW suits that you bring in. Apparently is the most expensive guy in the area, but I don't mind too much. I've taken a couple suits to him and I'm still waiting on them, so I can't speak to the quality.

I have used Field's for OTR alterations - you will be very pleased with the quality. Its worth the price.

ColeFieldHouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hangthree
I have used Field's for OTR alterations - you will be very pleased with the quality. Its worth the price.

TITCR.

2UFU

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good tailor that can shorten the sleeves on my dress shirts? And maybe take in the waists?

I live in the Columbia, MD area so anywhere between Baltimore and DC would be ideal. I already go to Field for my suits, but he doesn't alter shirts.

Air Rights Custom Tailors 4550 Montgomery Ave Bethesda, MD 20814 (301) 654-8631‎

2008mbaer

Reaction score
I just called Dobbin Tailors and he mentioned that Sleeve Shortenings would cost $15 and taking in the Sides would cost $20. Are those prices reasonable? I have never gotten any of this work done before.

2008mbaer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2UFU
Air Rights Custom Tailors 4550 Montgomery Ave Bethesda, MD 20814
How much do the sleeves and waist alterations cost?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a bespoke tailor at the Columbia Mall. He is not cheap though...I was going to have him turn a vintage jacket to surgeon cuffs and I think it was going to be around $130.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
There is a bespoke tailor at the Columbia Mall. He is not cheap though...I was going to have him turn a vintage jacket to surgeon cuffs and I think it was going to be around $130.

A bespoke tailor in the Columbia mall? Wow, that's shocking.

Thanks to all for the Field suggestion - I have a ton of RTW stuff that needs love, and I'll spend just about anything to get it where I need it to be, but I have found NOBODY in Baltimore, and after about 100 different bad experiences with 20 different Korean dry cleaners in the area, I'm done going down that road.

FYI to the OP: I checked Baltimore Magazines and City Papers going back a few years for recommendations and came up with 2: Nina's Alterations in Catonsville and a Mr. Bak (or something like that - can't find it again on the spur of the moment) on Falls Road in the Mt. Washington area. Both were touted because the owners (Nina and Mr. Bak or whatever) were trained abroad and had lots of experience. I tried both. Both have been purchased by Koreans who have not changed the names of the stores but are incapable of even basic things. I asked at Nina's for surgeon cuffs and was told "No need! No need!"

Sorry for all the Korean hate in this note - I love Koreans and my favorite grocery store in the world is owned by Koreans. But none of the ones who own laundromats in this area are capable of any kind of real alterations.

2008mbaer

Reaction score
haha, brutal. I am Korean, but I have trouble with my own people anyways. I'm going to check out Dobbin Tailors to get some shirts altered. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jerry's Tailoring
2809 University Blvd.
Kensington, MD 20895
301-946-7757

Jerry has done a lot of shirts for me and the results are usually excellent. His prices seem more than reasonable, too. He works out of his house, which faces Wheaton Plaza from the other side of University Blvd.

2008mbaer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Jerry's Tailoring
2809 University Blvd.
Kensington, MD 20895
301-946-7757

Jerry has done a lot of shirts for me and the results are usually excellent. His prices seem more than reasonable, too. He works out of his house, which faces Wheaton Plaza from the other side of University Blvd.

Hi,

Can you speak to the prices for getting the sleeves shortened and the sides/waist shaped down?

I was quoted $15 and $20 from the guy in Dobbin.

Thanks,
Mark

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads