1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shirt alteration question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CloudLi, Jan 13, 2018 at 11:44 AM.

1. CloudLi

CloudLi Senior Member

Is it possible to take in waist without slimming chest? I know darting is the way to slim a shirt, but darts on the back will also slim the chest which is something I don’t want.
    Also, how difficult is removing chest pocket? Is it possible to do it yourself?

2. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior Member

Darts on the back won't slim the chest if they don't come up too high. Alternatively the waist can be taken in at the side seams.

Removing the chest pocket is easy especially if you use a seam ripper. This is best done if the shirt hasn't been washed much yet, otherwise the underlying fabric might have a slightly different color.

3. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

You might be lucky to be able to remove the pocket thus - however the very act of attaching it damages the fabric to which it is attached.

4. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior Member

I have removed the chest pocket on a couple of new shirts with no visible damage.