• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shipton & Heanage Paris Collection patent shoes

larsrindsig

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a pair of shoes for eveningwear. The most attractive pair I've found is Shipton & Heanage's model from their French collection (sorry, I can't deep link to their website):

O-picc-pat-390.JPG

I have a few pairs of Sargent manufactured shoes from their UK stock and am quite happy with their construction. Does anybody have experience with the quality (both construction and materials) of these shoes? They're priced at 369 Euros (= 290 quid) which is around 50% more than the most expensive UK models. Are they worth it? The cheaper UK patent models are nowhere as sleek as these.

Does anyone have experience - good or bad - with these shoes? Alternatively, can anyone recommend a pair of great patent leather lace-up shoes (opera pumps are for later ...) with around GBP 300 as the max price point and from a European seller?

habitue

Reaction score
Nobody who has mastered the art of water polishing needs patent shoes.

And 369 Euros for a bit of plastic covered leather is ridiculous. Go for Loake or other cheap brands.

Opera pumps? Sissy!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As patent oxfords go, those look pretty nice.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they look great, although they are a bit pricey unless you are going to wear them more than once or twice a year.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very Lanvin

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been considering these as well. The other finalist for me is a pair of Edward Green Carnegies which are a bit more staid. I like these slightly more, but they are also more expensive and too expensive for how little I would wear them.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Relative to the Carnegies, they're a steal. The soles are the only thing I'm not crazy about. I like the styling and the last.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Carnegies are about $425, so I don't see how these being more expensive at $474 with today's rate are a steal.

Silverback

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you worn patent shoes before? I find they do not let your feet "breathe" well.

But these look very nice.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Silverback
Have you worn patent shoes before? I find they do not let your feet "breathe" well.

But these look very nice.

I would only wear them without socks and with heavy gray tweed pants .

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them. I also like the Brooks Brothers plaintoe version, which has a sturdier sole.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
The Carnegies are about $425, so I don't see how these being more expensive at $474 with today's rate are a steal.

I retract my previous remark. I had a recollection, clearly incorrect, that the Carnegies were close to calf shoes in price.

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I retract my previous remark. I had a recollection, clearly incorrect, that the Carnegies were close to calf shoes in price.

Grims,

Turns out I was wrong. I think EG Carnegies are in fact more than the Shiptons. I forgot to ask earlier what you didn't like about the sole? The open channels?

I really dig the Shiptons. I think they are a great twist on classic formal footwear. I haven't seen any other adelaide patent bals. Perhaps that's good and perhaps that's bad. The last shape is quite attractive. I also dig the the silk laces. Are they classic enough that I will still like them in 20 years? Only time will tell.

larsrindsig, did you pull the trigger?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had the calf version of those (Piccadilly model), they looked to be made by Crockett to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads