• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shipton and heneage

JohnMS

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I contacted Shipton and Heneage regarding their shoes. Many of their styles and names of styles looked familiar and they confirmed to me those that were Crockett and Jones shoes. They also have what they call an upper-line, S&H Paris. The following shoe is shown on that website:
shipton1.jpg
First question: Any guesses as to whether or not this is a C&J shoe and if so, a handgrade? Second question: Their prices seem about where Plal prices are (give or take a few dollars). I would be interested in your experience out there with this company. Thanks.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I ordered 3 pair of shoes from S&H two or three years ago. At the time, I was told that the shoes that I ordered were made by Sargent.

I don't have any complaints about them, and suppose if their prices were competitive, I would order again.

Bic

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shipton & Heneage is a (mainly) mail order shoe seller with branches in London and Paris. (Paris might be more of a shop; unlike London they are situated in a main shopping area like Boulevard Haussman).

London stocks shoes at three different price points: Premium, Select and Grade. Premium is made by C & J, Grade by Alfred Sargent and Select I don't know. The French range stocks different models, at only one price point. Although I have never seen them in the flesh (or is that "in the skin") they look to me very much like C & J, although probably not made to "Handgrade" specifications.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering ordering some shoes from S&H. Does anybody know how do they ship. What service they use. I refuse to use FEDEX and UPS due to their outrageous fees

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife ordered custom house shoes for me from them 3 years ago. They sent a sample shoe for sizing, then added custom initials. The whole process was very smooth and on-time. I don't recall which carrier they used for shipping however.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How come the US store sells shoes not available at the UK seller who sends me those nice discount vouchers?

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FAIK their standard line of shoes is no longer made by AS. They are now made in Italy and are Blake Stitched. The higher line is still made by C&J however.

blakewho

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of Shipton & Heneage Paris at John Rushton's sale in London last summer. They were definitely made by Sargent.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laufer
I am considering ordering some shoes from S&H. Does anybody know how do they ship. What service they use. I refuse to use FEDEX and UPS due to their outrageous fees

I bought two pairs of shoes from them and I recall the shipping was via Fed Ex and did not seem outrageous. You should ask. The shoes were fine and the only downside was that the on-line service was down for about a week because the person who handles it was "on holiday." So, that caused a delay, which they apologized very nicely for. And since one pair was backordered, they shipped them for free when they came in. The shoes I got were the chocolate suede tassel loafer "Dart" model and a pair of suede jodphur boots. Good prices and good quality (not up to EG standards by any means, but neither am I). And I keep thinking I need a pair of their famous velvet slippers: black with the pirate symbol but that might be too much.

So, I say put aside the shipping fees issue and try them.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Lee,

You reply is very helpful so thank you very much. Now here is little story that involes UPS
I ordered a pair of shoes from Herring Shoes in England, they were shipped by UPS, since I live in apartment complex UPS driver did not want to leave those in central office but I had to come to UPS office and pay brokerage fees to pick them up.
Fair enough. However this UPS location is open for pick up only during certain hour like 5:30PM to 8:30PM. I arrived there and the nhad to wait because the queue line was long, I waited for 50 minutes, finally very helpful UPS CS informs me that they cannot accept credit cards for payment only checks or money orders not even cash.
I do not carry checks with me so I ask nice lady to write me a check for $29.00 and i give her cash. I come back to the service window where now diferrent CS tells me that no checks are accepted, only money orders, I cannot beleive what I am hearing but there is no one to escalate this service this entire place is overcrowded and in big mess.
I decide to go to nearby CVS and buy money order and came back moment before closing to finally picka up package. So this brokerage fee cost me twice as much, I did not ask that lady for money back I destroyed the check.
So you see I am little bit resitant to place another oversee order through UPS. Also I heard horror stories about FEDEX when ordering stuff from oversee from many other forum members.

Anyways thanks again for your reply

skokiekid

Reaction score
I bought 2 shoes from S&H. Prompt delivery. I am very happy with the shoes. They seem to be well made. When I had a problem, S&H was very quick to resolve it.

They said their shoes are made by Cheaney and Crockett & Jones (among others). If you ask them about specific models, they will tell you who makes the shoes for them. They said that C&J make the Lowndes double monks for S&H.
inlove.gif

S&H has periodic $50 coupons.

Getzione

Reaction score
Cheaney also makes some of their models. Atleast thats what they told me when i inquired about one of the wholecut shoes.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laufer
Mr. Lee,

You reply is very helpful so thank you very much. Now here is little story that involes UPS
I ordered a pair of shoes from Herring Shoes in England, they were shipped by UPS, since I live in apartment complex UPS driver did not want to leave those in central office but I had to come to UPS office and pay brokerage fees to pick them up.
Fair enough. However this UPS location is open for pick up only during certain hour like 5:30PM to 8:30PM. I arrived there and the nhad to wait because the queue line was long, I waited for 50 minutes, finally very helpful UPS CS informs me that they cannot accept credit cards for payment only checks or money orders not even cash.
I do not carry checks with me so I ask nice lady to write me a check for $29.00 and i give her cash. I come back to the service window where now diferrent CS tells me that no checks are accepted, only money orders, I cannot beleive what I am hearing but there is no one to escalate this service this entire place is overcrowded and in big mess.
I decide to go to nearby CVS and buy money order and came back moment before closing to finally picka up package. So this brokerage fee cost me twice as much, I did not ask that lady for money back I destroyed the check.
So you see I am little bit resitant to place another oversee order through UPS. Also I heard horror stories about FEDEX when ordering stuff from oversee from many other forum members.

Anyways thanks again for your reply

You're welcome. Sounds like you might not be in the USA (where I am) so that might have a lot to do with the poor service. UPS and Fed Ex in the USA are great. It's our regular postal service, run by the government, that sucks. Happy to be of help and kind regards.

juliank

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting the Wandle and was wondering if people think their boots are a good buy price/value wise ? This is my first boot and although I've had my eye on C&J or Ferragamo's the new ones are outside of my price range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads