1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping shoes from the UK to US

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by coolwaterz, Oct 31, 2009.

1. coolwaterz

coolwaterz Well-Known Member

could someone tell me how this works? im about to purchase a pair of shoes from the UK for £154.78 including shipping. how much will this run me in dollars based on the exchange rate, and also will i be charged a "duty" by my post office?

im naive being that this is the first time ive ever bought an item abroad

2. larsrindsig

larsrindsig Senior member

could someone tell me how this works? im about to purchase a pair of shoes from the UK for £154.78 including shipping. how much will this run me in dollars based on the exchange rate, and also will i be charged a "duty" by my post office?

Do they not have Google in your country?

The figure you give should come to $254,57 but keep in mind that the seller ought to be able to deduct the VAT (which is 17,5%) since you're outside the EU. (Some smaller merchants don't do this; presumably the administration is considerable if you're doing it on a case by case basis).

As far as import duties I don't know the specifics of your US tax code but I do know that the tax free threshold is high in the US compared to what we have in most European countries so your package might slip through untaxed. If you're taxed you should also count on paying a handling fee to the post office/UPS/whoever the courier is.

3. Drydis Greis

Drydis Greis Senior member

im naive being that this is the first time ive ever bought an item abroad

For all the shoes I have purchased - G&G, EG, and Cleverley, I have not been required to pay import duties, handling fees, etc.

For currency conversions: http://www.xe.com/ucc/. If we start talking about PLal, you'll need it.

4. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

Do they not have Google in your country?

The figure you give should come to $254,57 but keep in mind that the seller ought to be able to deduct the VAT (which is 17,5%) since you're outside the EU. (Some smaller merchants don't do this; presumably the administration is considerable if you're doing it on a case by case basis).

As far as import duties I don't know the specifics of your US tax code but I do know that the tax free threshold is high in the US compared to what we have in most European countries so your package might slip through untaxed. If you're taxed you should also count on paying a handling fee to the post office/UPS/whoever the courier is.

Just one small point, until the end of 2009 the V.A.T. rate is 15%, after that, it returns to 17.5%.

Cheers

5. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

Make sure you have them shipped by Royal Mail