• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shipping costs on eBay returns

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
Sad to report I've recently had two bad transactions on eBay. One was supposed to be a pocket square that turned out to be a scarf (it was impossible to tell from the listing photo) and the other was a pair of gray trousers that were listed as "new" but had a giant moth hole in them.

I have contacted both sellers asking for a full refund including both shipping fees, the original and what it will cost to return them. They are refusing. They say I am only owed the sale price with no shipping AND minus the eBay listing fees. I don't know what to do about this now, I am considering the PayPal dispute resolution thing.

Before I do, can anyone tell me who is right here? If the item is defective and the customer is not at all at fault, why should he have to absord any costs? Also, does anyone have experience with PayPal mediation and what results did they get? Thanks in advance.

guitone

Reaction score
You need to file a dispute with ebay and if you paid with Paypal, one with them as well. I would say your are entitles to everything back but you may end up stuck with the shipping fees.. Get that dispute in, don't leave negative feedback as they will just do the same for you, just file 2 disputes and let the sellers know you are doing so after you have done it...paypal will more than likely refund your money..make sure you print and bookmark the auctions for a reference, and supply ebay with the number. I have always had good luck, but you do need patience for this process.

Good luck

Originally Posted by fatherseanfan
Sad to report I've recently had two bad transactions on eBay. One was supposed to be a pocket square that turned out to be a scarf (it was impossible to tell from the listing photo) and the other was a pair of gray trousers that were listed as "new" but had a giant moth hole in them.

I have contacted both sellers asking for a full refund including both shipping fees, the original and what it will cost to return them. They are refusing. They say I am only owed the sale price with no shipping AND minus the eBay listing fees. I don't know what to do about this now, I am considering the PayPal dispute resolution thing.

Before I do, can anyone tell me who is right here? If the item is defective and the customer is not at all at fault, why should he have to absord any costs? Also, does anyone have experience with PayPal mediation and what results did they get? Thanks in advance.

v0rtex

Reaction score

In my experience both providing and recieving eBay refunds a seller is within their rights to not refund shipping costs. Although anyone wishing to provide excellent customer service is usually best advised to provide them it's not mandatory.

In the past I've negotiated that if the seller wants an item returned they can refund the shipping cost I paid to recieve the item and I'll pay the shipping cost of returning the item.

Listing fees should never be deducted as the seller can request a Final Value Fee Credit from eBay and have all fees credited back to their account if the transaction falls through.

Paypal/eBay's dispute resolution is fairly arbitrary, I've always recieved refunds when I've had a problem but heard plenty of horror stories. Just make sure all the paperwork is in order (photos of damage, e-mail transcripts, package tracking numbers) and the chance you'll get a refund goes up exponentially.

johnpemberton

Reaction score
I state on my T&C's that i do not refund shipping costs, to prevent scammers taking advantage, however if I have made a mistake, the customer gains a refund of their shipping (both ways). Some of my best customers are those who have returned items, and then gone on to buy more items, as they trust my integrity. This is not the norm though!

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex
In my experience both providing and recieving eBay refunds a seller is within their rights to not refund shipping costs. Although anyone wishing to provide excellent customer service is usually best advised to provide them it's not mandatory.

But this is a case where the item was listed as "brand new with tags" and "never worn" and it had a big hole in it. Would eBay still expect me to take the hit for shipping costs x2 when I'm absolutely not at fault for anything?

Jill

Reaction score
But this is a case where the item was listed as "brand new with tags" and "never worn" and it had a big hole in it. Would eBay still expect me to take the hit for shipping costs x2 when I'm absolutely not at fault for anything?
Then you are reasonable to request a full refund, including shipping costs. Just be aware that if a seller is hesitant or seems somewhat testy about it, it's because we deal with some VERY unreasonable people. I can think of a dozen or more incidents where someone had something 3-6 months (a season - long enough to wear it several times) before asking for a refund, then DEMANDING a full refund for something silly, like a loose button, while threatening a negative feedback.

If you treat your seller professionally, and courteously, he will likely respond in kind. It is the arrogant, unrealistic buyer ("I just got a nearly new $1800 Oxxford sportcoat for $59, and I'm OFFENDED that it had a pill on the lapel" which of course could be pulled or shaved off within 6 seconds with a $4 fabric shaver) that we ban from ever buying again. If you are dealing with someone who has 14 feedbacks, then you can be a little demanding or suspicious. But if you are dealing with someone with 2000, and a 99% positive, then please assume that he's not trying to "cheat" you out of that big ol' $49. He's likely a full-timer, and will make it right if you give him a chance.

OK. Rant over. Just treat him with the respect you would like if you were a seller. Most of these guys aren't trying to rip you off. If they ARE, then by all means, "school 'em!" We full-timers don't need the bad rep from them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads