• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shipping costs from UK?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm looking at a pair of ankle boots on Ebay and the seller quoted me 40GBP to ship them here. Is that realistic? That's 80 bucks!

I'm looking around ebay.co.uk on the boots and people are quoting anywhere from free (?!) to 25-ish GBP. 20-25 seems to be normal for stores like Pediwear.

If I want to appear to have done my homework, what shipping service should I tell the seller to use? And which one is going to hit me with the least customs/duties/whatever other hassles?

Thanks.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
22.50 GBP to ship half a dozen shoe trees to Budapest. FWIW.

TKDKid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I'm looking at a pair of ankle boots on Ebay and the seller quoted me 40GBP to ship them here. Is that realistic? That's 80 bucks!

I'm looking around ebay.co.uk on the boots and people are quoting anywhere from free (?!) to 25-ish GBP. 20-25 seems to be normal for stores like Pediwear.

If I want to appear to have done my homework, what shipping service should I tell the seller to use? And which one is going to hit me with the least customs/duties/whatever other hassles?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I sent your Asprey boots to you as a small packet via Royal Mail's bog standard Airmail service, which would mean a maximum of just over GBP 20 in today's prices.

Tracking is then available via their Airsure option for an additional GBP 4.20.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That's about what I thought. (Thanks again, BTW, still enjoying them.
smile.gif
) I wrote the seller saying just that, that I had had boots sent over for 20-25 GBP. I'll see what happens.

Thanks all.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, as you are aware, people add a "handling" charge to the shipping. This is for a variety of reasons, but it's basically a mechanism to off-set ebay and paypal fees. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is an e-bay policy that says you can only charge actual shipping costs. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I think a little bit extra is okay, and many times it's just an over estimation if you don't know what part of the country you're shipping to, actual weight, etc., but it shouldn't be a huge margin. A high shipping cost has a tendency to turn bidders away, but you'll get bidders who overlook it or figure ordering Int'l is the only way to get the goods they can't buy in their own country.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Small packet rates are good value but once you go beyond these, there is rather a jump. I'm not familiar with the limits of the definition and I haven't bought stuff from the UK for a long time due to the exchange rate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads