• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shipley & Halmos tuxedo blazer?

jdk123

Reaction score
Hi gents, I came across this Shipley & Halmos tuxedo blazer and pants at Barneys while shopping for a tuxedo for my upcoming wedding. I usually wear a 38R but that size in this jacket was very tight. I ended up trying the 40 and it fit much better.
It's a notch lapel with 2 buttons. Black color. The jacket has a single central vent in the back. Alterations in the pants and sleeves are needed.

I was wondering if I could get some forum members thoughts or comments on jacket fit and look? The salesperson continually said I looked great in the jacket, but I'm a but suspicious of salespeople :) Unfortunately, I didn't have any friends or my fiance around to ask for opinions. Any comments would be appreciated.

Link to jacket: http://www.barneys.com/Tuxedo-Blazer/501523828,default,pd.html

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than the pants and sleeves, the fit looks good. However, a proper tuxedo is not supposed to have two buttons or flap pockets (or, according to many, notch lapels). Also, the shoulders look too square, although that could be mostly body type and it's not so bad for a formal event.

Rolex Luthor

Reaction score
Besides what was said above, dinner jackets (please don't say "tuxedo blazer") traditionally don't have vents at all.

In return for the learned advice you will receive from this forum, you can do us a favor and throw away those shoes.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In addition to what others have said, it might be the camera angle, but this dinner jacket seems a bit long on you. Also just the whole of the thing seems like a black business suit with shiny lapels...it just doesn't have the elegance of a tuxedo. But then such a garment can generally not be had cheaply, so depending on what your price range is, this may be one of your better options. However I urge you to at least try this one before buying that one:

http://www.suitsupply.com/shop/1.P1109A/Tuxedo?filter_27=736

jdk123

Reaction score
Thanks all for the responses so far. I'm familiar with the blacktieguide and proper tuxedo jackets but I can't seem to find many decent peak lapel, one button jackets in the Seattle stores I've visited so far. Some of the more reputable stores I visited told me they simply don't even carry tuxes anymore. I'm really hoping to avoid the rental option.

I think I'm going to pass on buying this particular Shipley jacket - I also feel the length is a bit long.

@unbelragazzo: the vitale barberis jacket looks very nice. I only wish Suitsupply had a Seatle store so I could try it on! Do you know how true to size their jacket and pants run?

btw the shoes were just what I was wearing when I walked in the store and definitely not my tuxedo shoes.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks all for the responses so far. I'm familiar with the blacktieguide and proper tuxedo jackets but I can't seem to find many decent peak lapel, one button jackets in the Seattle stores I've visited so far. Some of the more reputable stores I visited told me they simply don't even carry tuxes anymore. I'm really hoping to avoid the rental option.

I think I'm going to pass on buying this particular Shipley jacket - I also feel the length is a bit long.

@unbelragazzo: the vitale barberis jacket looks very nice. I only wish Suitsupply had a Seatle store so I could try it on! Do you know how true to size their jacket and pants run?

btw the shoes were just what I was wearing when I walked in the store and definitely my tuxedo shoes.

They offer free shipping both ways. I suggest just ordering your normal size and giving it a try.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I only wish Suitsupply had a Seatle store so I could try it on! Do you know how true to size their jacket and pants run?

I find the jackets run a bit small. I'm usually a 40R but I could hardly get the 40R SuitSupply tux jacket on so I'm definitely a 42 in that brand. It's a really nice jacket though and I'm considering purchasing it myself.

Fred

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely a good choice not to buy that jacket.

rileym

Reaction score
I just got my tux from Suitsupply and word of advice, check the measurements you need against what they have published. Or do like others have suggested and buy both the R and the L and return the one that fits least well. I'm about 6'1 and a pretty solid 38R most times, and this "Smoking" tux was easily long enough in an R, easily wide enough at the shoulders, but the sleeves are easily 3/4" short. And the functioning cuffs are working against me here. I'm not even sure if there's 3/4" allowance in the sleeves but even if there is it'll move the buttons 3/4" up away from the cuff. IMO they're already too far up the sleeve.

I'm a little confused as to why this jacket is sized this way... I've never come across a jacket where the fit was conservative but the sleeves were straight-up too short. If you've got a long torso but shorter arms I expect this might work better but I'm going to have to return this and opt for the 38L instead, and take the jacket hem up 1", and hope the button doesn't wind up too low.

Otherwise, I was really impressed by the value here - it shipped well-packed, with stuffing in the sleeves to help maintain its shape. Really sharp garment bag with a zippered compartment. I think this stacks up extremely well against anything else in the sub-$500 range @ full retail.

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Obviously the suit is too big for his size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads