• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shiny elbows after just 6hours!

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I am not convinced about this vinegar concoction, especially on wool. Vinegar lightens colors, if you have white shirts that have ring around the collar, a dab of vinegar before washing cleans them up nice. I'd be afraid of the vinegar eating away at the wool or making it lighter in color. Hopefully neither will happen.

I've heard/read the opposite; add vinegar to the wash to set the dyes and keep colors from bleeding. I've never tried, so I'm not saying it's true or not.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
I've heard/read the opposite; add vinegar to the wash to set the dyes and keep colors from bleeding. I've never tried, so I'm not saying it's true or not.

Wine stains:
Spots caused by wine can be removed from 100 percent cotton, cotton polyester and permanent press fabrics if done so within 24 hours. To do it, sponge white distilled vinegar directly onto the stain and rub away the spots. Then clean according to the directions on the manufacturer's care tag.

Freshen baby clothes:
The addition of 1 cup of white distilled vinegar to each load of baby clothes during the rinse cycle will naturally break down uric acid and soapy residue leaving the clothes soft and fresh.

Clothes washing magic:
Clothes will rinse better if 1 cup of white distilled vinegar is added to the last rinse water. The acid in vinegar is too mild to harm fabrics, but strong enough to dissolve the alkalies in soaps and detergents.

Blanket renewal:
Cotton and wool blankets become soft, fluffy and free of soap odor if 2 cups of white distilled vinegar are added to the rinse cycle of the wash.

Deodorant stains:
Deodorant and antiperspirant stains may be removed from clothing by lightly rubbing with white distilled vinegar and laundering as usual.

Hole removal:
After a hem or seam is removed, there are often unsightly holes left in the fabric. These holes can be removed by placing a cloth, moistened with white distilled vinegar, under the fabric and ironing.

Keeping colors fast:
To hold colors in fabrics, which tend to run, soak them for a few minutes in white distilled vinegar before washing.

Leather cleaning:
Leather articles can be cleaned with a mixture of white distilled vinegar and linseed oil. Rub the mixture into the leather and then polish with a soft cloth.

Scorch marks:
Lightly rub white distilled vinegar on fabric that has been slightly scorched. Wipe with a clean cloth.
Setting colors:
When you are color dyeing, add about a cupful of white distilled vinegar to the last rinse water to help set the color.

Shower curtains:
Add 1 cup of white distilled vinegar to the rinse water when you launder your shower curtain. Do not spin dry or wash out. Just hang immediately to dry.

Unclog steam iron:
Pour equal amounts of white distilled vinegar and water into the iron's water chamber. Turn to steam and leave the iron on for 5 minutes in an upright position. Then unplug and allow to cool. Any loose particles should come out when you empty the water.

Clean a scorched iron plate:
Heat equal parts white distilled vinegar and salt in a small pan. Rub solution on the cooled iron surface to remove dark or burned stains.

Cleaning Vintage Lace
Soak the lace in cold water, rinsing it several times. Next, hand-wash the lace gently with a wool detergent, such as Woolite. If rust spots are a problem, try removing them with a mixture of white vinegar and hot water.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where's the stuff about shiny suit elbows?

K

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Where's the stuff about shiny suit elbows?

K

Scorch marks? Maybe OP rubs his elbows around really really fast.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
confused.gif
im seriously worried about your mental conditions. mfan said "some" not all. RL Black Label stuff is not cream of the crop, some of the BL suit fabrics (made by Caruso) feel worse than my Hugo Boss. I like my Blue Label fabrics better sometimes...

How often do you post about things you don't know about? Is it all the time now?
Originally Posted by edmorel
I am not convinced about this vinegar concoction, especially on wool. Vinegar lightens colors, if you have white shirts that have ring around the collar, a dab of vinegar before washing cleans them up nice. I'd be afraid of the vinegar eating away at the wool or making it lighter in color. Hopefully neither will happen.
Isn't vinegar acidic? I don't understand why anyone would rub it on their clothing either.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Isn't vinegar acidic? I don't understand why anyone would rub it on their clothing either.

Man, you know all the voo doo that we do around here.

K

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
Household vinegar is 5% acetic acid. That's what gives it its pungent smell.

Liquid acetic acid is a hydrophilic (polar) protic solvent, similar to ethanol and water. With a moderate relative static permittivity (dielectric constant) of 6.2, it can dissolve not only polar compounds such as inorganic salts and sugars, but also non-polar compounds such as oils and elements such as sulfur and iodine. It readily mixes with other polar and non-polar solvents such as water, chloroform, and hexane. This dissolving property and miscibility of acetic acid makes it a widely used industrial chemical. -Wikipedia

Weren't we talking about shiny elbows though?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's been suggested before, namely on AAAC--back in its hey day.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often do you post about things you don't know about? Is it all the time now?

Above 3 deltas.

Say whatever you want but one of the Black Label suits' fabric is definitely worse than all of my Hugo Boss suits.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Above 3 deltas. Say whatever you want but one of the Black Label suits' fabric is definitely worse than all of my Hugo Boss suits.
Fabric:Suits::Apples:Oranges

Carbon Copy

Reaction score
The dye and fabrics should not be harmed by a short exposure to a mild acid, the dyes tend to be acidic themselves when the fabric is dyed. Bases on the other hand should be avoided, so don't substitute the vinegar for bleach.
devil.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Above 3 deltas.

Say whatever you want but one of the Black Label suits' fabric is definitely worse than all of my Hugo Boss suits.

now i'm worried about your mental state.

My apologies mafoo, your first post just rubbed me the wrong way in how it was phrased.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabric:Suits::Apples:Oranges

You will fail in ur SAT/GRE or whatever standardized tests if you think that's true...

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will fail in ur SAT/GRE or whatever standardized tests if you think that's true...
abc_chinglish8_070531_ssh.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads