• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shibumi Firenze classic accessories & bespoke tailoring - official affiliate thread

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Dear Benedikt,

Just received my fukubokura as wells as a custom tie I had ordered and some socks; its a great job on your guys part once again.

I was wondering if you could answer a tie construction question if you don't mind. I figured I'd ask you because I have both types from you and you actually talk on the forum!

When looking at self-tipped versus hand-rolled, do you see any longevity differences? Obviously the hand-rolled looks more artisanal, more relaxed and is lovely. Do you notice earlier fraying on hand-rolled at all?

I should clarify, this has not been so much an issue with your ties. I have noticed this a lot w/ Drakes London ties - my self-tipped ones from them are fine but a lot of their hand rolled ones fray somewhat easily.

Thanks you,

Andrew

Maximus Rex

Reaction score
@Braddock - I have sent you a couple messages regarding some of the ties from your new collection. In particular, the images on the website are often lighter than the actual ties. I was hoping to see a picture with the ties in more natural lighting to gauge the color shade more accurately. Can you do this? Please see my PM to you for the details.

Thanks in advance!

A.D.

Reaction score
I stumbled upon Shibumi years ago and loved what I saw, the blockstripes were especially enamoring. But back then I had the wrong mindset, buying lesser quality items which predictably were never really cherished. Now I'm rectifying my mistakes by buying very select items that truly speak to me.

As such, I ordered this yesterday: https://shibumi-firenze.com/ties/woven/2997/triple-block-stripe-grenadine-linen/silk-tie-navy/white/olive

triple block.jpg

When I recieve it, I'll post some pictures of the tie out in the wild. Thank you Shibumi for creating these beautiful and interesting color combinations.

A.D.

Reaction score
As promised, here are some pictures:

86722895_2593855970741956_9181563519525453824_n.jpg

84219495_1097837227237439_6859339908771741696_n.jpg

86336779_2896776343694573_5600921612099518464_n.jpg

Very pleased with the tie!

I picked the 9 cm option in standard length. I was considering the short size, but I find this length to be perfect even at my modest height of 5'6. If you're tall or like to wear the back tie-blade longer than the front, you should definitely opt for the long version. The fabric is crisp, light and summery, but I think it can be worn most of the year. I actually didn't find it too strange together with denim given its structure.

Braddock

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Dear Benedikt,

Just received my fukubokura as wells as a custom tie I had ordered and some socks; its a great job on your guys part once again.

I was wondering if you could answer a tie construction question if you don't mind. I figured I'd ask you because I have both types from you and you actually talk on the forum!

When looking at self-tipped versus hand-rolled, do you see any longevity differences? Obviously the hand-rolled looks more artisanal, more relaxed and is lovely. Do you notice earlier fraying on hand-rolled at all?

I should clarify, this has not been so much an issue with your ties. I have noticed this a lot w/ Drakes London ties - my self-tipped ones from them are fine but a lot of their hand rolled ones fray somewhat easily.

Thanks you,

Andrew
Sorry that I've never replied to this, I must have overlooked this. In my experience there's no difference in longevity, the only differences are usually only Grenadines due to their delicate weaving. But for repp stripes or printed silks I can't see any difference there. However, we're also always pleased to repair ties that were bought from us for free.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
Sorry that I've never replied to this, I must have overlooked this. In my experience there's no difference in longevity, the only differences are usually only Grenadines due to their delicate weaving. But for repp stripes or printed silks I can't see any difference there. However, we're also always pleased to repair ties that were bought from us for free.
Thanks much - possible just poor construction on some of the Drakes ones.

I definitely see what you mean on the Grenadine. I have two garza grossa from you and both have frayed a little. (This however is not your fault - its because I let my dog jump on me when she is wearing her harness and velcro + grenadine = disaster!) :p

Follow up question - do you think that the grenadine falls back to shape better while hanging if its not self-tipped? This I feel I have noticed but might be fooling myself.

Endnote: One of the ties you included in my fukubokura was a boucle. I never would have purchased this on my own and now I really love it and want more.

Braddock

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Braddock - I have sent you a couple messages regarding some of the ties from your new collection. In particular, the images on the website are often lighter than the actual ties. I was hoping to see a picture with the ties in more natural lighting to gauge the color shade more accurately. Can you do this? Please see my PM to you for the details.

Thanks in advance!
Just replied you now.

View attachment 1336163
View attachment 1336164
View attachment 1336165

I picked the 9 cm option in standard length. I was considering the short size, but I find this length to be perfect even at my modest height of 5'6. If you're tall or like to wear the back tie-blade longer than the front, you should definitely opt for the long version. The fabric is crisp, light and summery, but I think it can be worn most of the year. I actually didn't find it too strange together with denim given its structure.
Thanks a lot guys! Very glad to hear that!

Braddock

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Braddock liking the new S/S collection. Any update on when the new madders will be available?
Should be ready and online in 2-3 weeks.

For those who didn't see so far: There is a bunch of new ties online including a couple of different kind of fabrics. My personal favourites are the printed silks; I just love the patterns and the tie knots.

https://shibumi-firenze.com/ties/

Attachments

ZheNewYork

Reaction score
Ni

View attachment 1336163
View attachment 1336164
View attachment 1336165

Nice fit! Who made the jacket?

unprocessed

Reaction score

Braddock

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Just ordered the new purple madder, excited to get it. The Oatmeal madder also seems very unique, trying to figure out what color it is (an orange beige?)
Thanks for your order! Hm I would rather say it's a light brown.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.