Sherlock (TV Series)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by bbaquiran, Aug 2, 2010.

1. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

I wasn't sure about the guy who plays Holmes at first, but he grew on me. He reminds me of Tom Baker a bit.

First episode felt kinda like, "I'm the Doctor, welcome to the TARDIS".

2. barims

barims Senior member

I'm presently watching the first episode and find it mighty promising

Cumberbatch and Moffat's Sherlock is rather the missing link between Greg House and Matt Smith and Steven Moffat's current incarnation of the Doctor - one can see why Cumberbatch decided aginst being the new lead of Doctor Who and Smith was passed over for Watson. Moffat rather likes the trope of the exciteable, socially abnormal deductive genius, it seems

I'm more familiar with Brett's series than I am the books, but tonally, the update feels as vintage as it is modern - a feat well played

3. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

First episode felt kinda like, "I'm the Doctor, welcome to the TARDIS".

Yeah. And if you think about it, Holmes and the Doctor actually kinda fit into the same basic formula: exceptional, eccentric outsider and trusty human companion have crazy adventures. Also...Jesus and the Disciples.

4. barims

barims Senior member

^ Yes, I touched on that when I acknowledged that the two characters currently have the same writer and showrunner

5. ArteEtLabore14

ArteEtLabore14 Senior member

6. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Senior member

What are the plans for the future of the show.

7. tricota

tricota Senior member

Yeah. And if you think about it, Holmes and the Doctor actually kinda fit into the same basic formula: exceptional, eccentric outsider and trusty human companion have crazy adventures. Also...Jesus and the Disciples.

I read somewhere, that Matt Smith actually read for the part of John Watson and they felt that we was a bit too "wired" or something. When they later were looking for the new doctor, they remembered Matt.

Though I agree that Sherlock and Matt's Doctor are very similar. The Sherlock rant is pretty much the same as the Doctors rant...

8. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Based on the trailer I pretty much want to punch that Holmes in the face.

lefty

+1

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Just finished the first three episodes. Really enjoyed the style and the way they revealed little clues right on screen in type. Moriarty seemed a bit queer for an evil mastermind though.

Anybody know when the next episode is?

11. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Just finished the first three episodes. Really enjoyed the style and the way they revealed little clues right on screen in type. Moriarty seemed a bit queer for an evil mastermind though.

Anybody know when the next episode is?

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the on-screen overlays being used instead of the usual shots of the actual phone screen or computer screen, that and the fact they are referencing or updating actual Holmes stories. BBC is weird, so the 3 episodes are the end of the first "season." The next series will probably air next year.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

That sucks. They should have made the eps 1hr instead of 1.5 and stretched it out a bit more.

I really wish American studios could produce programs half as well as the Brits do. We're just not even in the same ballpark.

13. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

To be fair, the brits express alot of the same sentiment. I would agree that the average British show > the average American. However, there is no British "The Wire", Sopranaos, 6 Feet under etc. Americans spend alot more on production, and their Drama tends to be much better.

Out of my favourite shows, 15/20 are british, but from the top 5, 3 are American.

Cool thing;

The show has sparked a new interest in Holmes, and the books are picking up sales again. As well, the coat Sherlock wears has become rather sought after.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

15. HHD

HHD Senior member

What's the coat?

Belstaff Milford (I wondered too). Apparently 2007 season and discontinued, but Belstaff PR is putting it about that it will be available in shops for A/W 2010.