1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Sherlock (TV Series)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by bbaquiran, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Another New Yorker

Another New Yorker Well-Known Member

What are the plans for the future of the show.

2. tricota

tricota Well-Known Member

Yeah. And if you think about it, Holmes and the Doctor actually kinda fit into the same basic formula: exceptional, eccentric outsider and trusty human companion have crazy adventures. Also...Jesus and the Disciples.

I read somewhere, that Matt Smith actually read for the part of John Watson and they felt that we was a bit too "wired" or something. When they later were looking for the new doctor, they remembered Matt.

Though I agree that Sherlock and Matt's Doctor are very similar. The Sherlock rant is pretty much the same as the Doctors rant...

3. Jekyll

Jekyll Well-Known Member

I liked Moriarty.

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Based on the trailer I pretty much want to punch that Holmes in the face.

lefty

+1

5. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Just finished the first three episodes. Really enjoyed the style and the way they revealed little clues right on screen in type. Moriarty seemed a bit queer for an evil mastermind though.

Anybody know when the next episode is?

6. Roikins

Roikins Well-Known Member

Just finished the first three episodes. Really enjoyed the style and the way they revealed little clues right on screen in type. Moriarty seemed a bit queer for an evil mastermind though.

Anybody know when the next episode is?

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the on-screen overlays being used instead of the usual shots of the actual phone screen or computer screen, that and the fact they are referencing or updating actual Holmes stories. BBC is weird, so the 3 episodes are the end of the first "season." The next series will probably air next year.

7. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

That sucks. They should have made the eps 1hr instead of 1.5 and stretched it out a bit more.

I really wish American studios could produce programs half as well as the Brits do. We're just not even in the same ballpark.

8. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

To be fair, the brits express alot of the same sentiment. I would agree that the average British show > the average American. However, there is no British "The Wire", Sopranaos, 6 Feet under etc. Americans spend alot more on production, and their Drama tends to be much better.

Out of my favourite shows, 15/20 are british, but from the top 5, 3 are American.

Cool thing;

The show has sparked a new interest in Holmes, and the books are picking up sales again. As well, the coat Sherlock wears has become rather sought after.

9. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

What's the coat?

10. HHD

HHD Well-Known Member

What's the coat?

Belstaff Milford (I wondered too). Apparently 2007 season and discontinued, but Belstaff PR is putting it about that it will be available in shops for A/W 2010.

11. k4kick

k4kick Member

I really enjoyed the three episodes that we were treated to. Having read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories I thought this was rather a good modern interpretation!

Has anyone had any luck in finding his coat yet???

12. Pinhas

Pinhas Well-Known Member

Another great show from BBC; really enjoyed the modern take and could not help thinking of House while watching (not suprising since House is based on Holmes)

This is by far the most maniac-istic portrayal of Moriarty, he wasn’t described as such a psycho in the books or in other adaptations, but I sort of like it; give SH a real arch-villain to go against.

The gay innuendoes cracked me up, specially the way Watson reacts to them, maybe went a bit too far in the end of the 3rd episode but that could be a good way to present Jim’s obsession with SH.

Eagerly waiting for more!

13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Caught the first one on PBS last night. Wasn't sure I'd be able to get past the 20th century update, but I thought it worked remarkably well. Sherlock seems a bit young, but the actor grew on me.

It was very Steven Moffatt. The Doctor Who vibe was strong.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

He would occasionally chastise Watson for "sensationalizing" his cases rather than emphasizing only the cold reason that went into solving them. Also, sometimes he would say "You know my methods, reason it out." And then listen as Watson tried to draw Holmesian conclusions from detailed observations of little facts and then laugh and say "Well done but entirely erroneous."

But he never called Watson stupid or told him to shut up. And he occasionally spoke warmly of their friendship, of Watson's courage, and of his loyalty.

The friendship made the books all the more heartwarming.

I'd say Watson was more of an illustration of what an educated gentleman would think and how he'd behave in those extraordinary situations, I really dislike having him characterized as an idiot. This thread motivated me to watch the classic series, which is always good.

15. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying this immensely.

16. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Well-Known Member

I'd say Watson was more of an illustration of what an educated gentleman would think and how he'd behave in those extraordinary situations, I really dislike having him characterized as an idiot.

I didn't think he came off as idiotic at all. In fact, he seemed to be relatively well trusted as Sherlock continues to rely on him to some degree.

I thought Moriarty was terribly miscast. He doesn't seem sinister, just annoying. Like Hal Sparks.

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

The friendship made the books all the more heartwarming.

I'd say Watson was more of an illustration of what an educated gentleman would think and how he'd behave in those extraordinary situations, I really dislike having him characterized as an idiot. This thread motivated me to watch the classic series, which is always good.

Wait, wut? [​IMG]

18. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

I thought Moriarty was terribly miscast. He doesn't seem sinister, just annoying.

This. He isn't a professor, that's fine. But they made him TOO high-pitched voice bi-curious metrosexual. psychopath.

19. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

I just thought he seemed like a big queer.

20. ArteEtLabore14

ArteEtLabore14 Well-Known Member

Anyone have a torrent link? Can't find any English versions on Pirate Bay.