1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Sherlock Holmes?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by JLibourel, Dec 22, 2009.

1. denning

denning Senior member

Just a few more thoughts on this thread:

As far as Holmes' knowledge of martial arts goes, Holmes told Watson that he had used the Japanese art of baritsu to hurl Professor Moriarty into the chasm of the Reichenbach Falls. I just asked my colleague Dave Cater, editor of Inside Kung-Fu, if he had ever heard of a martial art called baritsu. He said he had not. In the movie, Dave informed me, Holmes states that he had been studying Wing Chun (a real martial art) for four years.

I suspect "baritsu" may have been a figment of Doyle's creative imagination.

I believe you are referring to bartitsu, not baritsu. See:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartitsu
    It's the iGent's martial art.

Edit: Jan was right. Doyle referred to it as Baritsu, which has aparrantly confused some people as he may have invented the term, or he may have mis-remembered it after hearing it, or it may have been an editing mistake.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I'll be interested to get the reactions of any of you who go and see the new Sherlock Holmes movie coming out on Xmas Day. I had been eager to see it. However, after seeing some stills showing Robert Downey, Jr., as Holmes sporting designer stubble, I am strongly disinclined to go see it. I grew up as a boy regarding the impeccably groomed Basil Rathbone as the quintessential Holmes. Later I discovered the original illustrations of Sidney Padget. I also enjoyed Jeremy Brett's portrayals of Holmes. After all that, I am very disinclined to go see a movie with a designer-stubbled Holmes. A friend of mine remarked that they seem to have re-made Holmes as an action hero in the mould of Spider Man. He is a professor at decent private college. Recently he made an allusion to Sherlock Holmes in one of his classes. It was evident that several of his [American] students had no idea who Holmes was. Similarly, I made an allusion to The Hound of the Baskervilles to a woman the other day. She had never heard of it! An interesting commentary on the decline of general cultural literacy. I have heard it said that Sherlock Holmes, Dracula and Tarzan are the three most familiar figures from literature worldwide. Interesting that they were all nearly contemporaneous.
    Jeremy Brett FTW
    Another reason why I like you both. Am a very serious Holmesian. Will not see the movie. ~ H

3. bcx

bcx Senior member

I've seen a screening of this and while not your typical Guy Ritchie movie, it was fun and a good popcorn flick.

4. willpower

willpower Senior member

Betcha it'll be popular with the "gangsta" crowd, what with the characters saying "Holmes" throughout the flick.

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Betcha it'll be popular with the "gangsta" crowd, what with the characters saying "Holmes" throughout the flick.

Will all the cholos write an "essay" about how good it was Holmes?

6. romafan

romafan Senior member

JLib- Doyle wasn't so keen about his brainy protagonist. He much preferred to write 'serious' historical fiction, but the detective stories paid the bills. The WSJ ran this yesterday - as AF would say, very intersting!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...677394758.html

Just a few more thoughts on this thread:

As far as Holmes' knowledge of martial arts goes, Holmes told Watson that he had used the Japanese art of baritsu to hurl Professor Moriarty into the chasm of the Reichenbach Falls. I just asked my colleague Dave Cater, editor of Inside Kung-Fu, if he had ever heard of a martial art called baritsu. He said he had not. In the movie, Dave informed me, Holmes states that he had been studying Wing Chun (a real martial art) for four years.

I suspect "baritsu" may have been a figment of Doyle's creative imagination. Doyle was very free and easy about making up stuff like that. For example, the "swamp adder, the deadliest snake in India" in "The Speckled Band" is otherwise unknown although people have tried to identify it with the Russell's viper or the banded krait. Doyle obviously didn't know squat about snakes: You can't train a snake with a whistle, they're deaf, and they don't drink milk. The term "Penang lawyer" for a cane weighted with lead seems to have been made up by Doyle. In one of the stories, Dr. Watson mentions using a gun called a "tiger cub." Neither I nor yet my pal Garry James, who knows a great deal more than I do about British firearms of the Victorian era and is quite a Holmesian into the bargain, had ever heard of such a gun.

For all the reverence paid to the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Holmes movies, bear in mind that in some ways they do more violence to the stories than the current movie. They yank Holmes and Watson out of the late Victorian era and plunk them down in the 1930s and '40s. In at least one of the movies, Holmes is fighting the cruel Nazis, with whom Professor Moriarty has allied himself. I can recall Holmes expressing his amazement to the evil professor that even he could stoop that low! Mind you, it has probably been about 57 years since I was watching those movies on TV!

7. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Is it just me, or is this threak a study in this board's latent (or not so latent) Anglophilia?

Would everyone be this up in arms if the tale being butchered was, say, the Epic of Gilgamesh? The story of the Battle of Thermopylae?

It's just you. There was plenty of indignation here re the depiction of the Battle of Thermopylae in "300".

8. Homme

Homme Senior member

Will all the cholos write an "essay" about how good it was Holmes?

[​IMG]

9. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I liked the movie. It was fun! Might see again. Cinematography was not as cool as it was in Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking barrels but it was still quite good.

10. Althis

Althis Senior member

fun movie to watch, interesting explanations at the end and some funny dialogue

the way they did some of the fight scenes was pretty cool with all his premeditated attacks

11. why

why Senior member

I got a good laugh at all the critiques of Holmes as a 'serious literary figure'.

12. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Going to see it with my boys and my nephews this afternoon.

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

There have been no "guys" that I know who've seen it who have liked it. All the girls I know who've seen it have liked it. This is not confidence inspiring. [​IMG]

14. Crazy-Leprechaun

Crazy-Leprechaun Member

As much as I wanted this not to be a full on action flick, I will probably still see it.

15. forex

forex Senior member

Shitty movie,two hours wasted[​IMG]