Sherlock Holmes?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by JLibourel, Dec 22, 2009.

1. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I'll be interested to get the reactions of any of you who go and see the new Sherlock Holmes movie coming out on Xmas Day.

I had been eager to see it. However, after seeing some stills showing Robert Downey, Jr., as Holmes sporting designer stubble, I am strongly disinclined to go see it. I grew up as a boy regarding the impeccably groomed Basil Rathbone as the quintessential Holmes. Later I discovered the original illustrations of Sidney Padget. I also enjoyed Jeremy Brett's portrayals of Holmes. After all that, I am very disinclined to go see a movie with a designer-stubbled Holmes.

A friend of mine remarked that they seem to have re-made Holmes as an action hero in the mould of Spider Man. He is a professor at decent private college. Recently he made an allusion to Sherlock Holmes in one of his classes. It was evident that several of his [American] students had no idea who Holmes was.

Similarly, I made an allusion to The Hound of the Baskervilles to a woman the other day. She had never heard of it! An interesting commentary on the decline of general cultural literacy.

I have heard it said that Sherlock Holmes, Dracula and Tarzan are the three most familiar figures from literature worldwide. Interesting that they were all nearly contemporaneous.

2. r...

r... Senior member

He was a functioning addict. I mean, Sherlock was, and Robert too. So maybe this is what Robert brings to the character; enough genuineness to know that functioning addicts prolly dont shave that often.

At least Watson doesnt have designer-neckbeard.

3. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

"The Seven Per-Cent Solution" from 1976 was the first SH movie I remember that broke from the old Basil Rathbone depiction of a buttoned up Sherlock Holmes that I grew up with. I suppose it was an attempt to get closer to the literary Holmes, but it was still a bit different from what we'd become accustomed to in the movies.

I don't think I'll mind the new version, liberties and all. I plan to see it and if its anything like any of RD, Jr's recent work I expect I'll enjoy it.

4. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Worth going to see for Watson's (played by Jude Law) attire.

Looks like (in the trailer) a great Harris Tweed suit, not unlike one being finished for me tomorrow.

5. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

It looks like utter garbage to me. I'll pass.

6. r...

r... Senior member

Worth going to see for Watson's (played by Jude Law) attire.

Looks like (in the trailer) a great Harris Tweed suit, not unlike one being finished for me tomorrow.

Always about you. Always gotta turn the conversation into something about you...

7. Dentata

Dentata Senior member

I plan on seeing this just because I love Holmes and Downey, but I don't have much hope. I think Downey could be an excellent Holmes, but from what I've heard and read from people who have seen it it has been dumbed down to the point that Holmes is a relatively generic, not especially brilliant action hero.
    He was a functioning addict. I mean, Sherlock was...
    Not in this movie. Wouldn't want America's children (of any age) to think that drug use takes your brain anywhere but the frying pan.

8. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Always about you. Always gotta turn the conversation into something about you...

[​IMG]

9. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

Not in this movie. Wouldn't want America's children (of any age) to think that drug use takes your brain anywhere but the frying pan.

You're probably right, but he should be portrayed as such. I'm reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes now, and he alludes to injecting cocaine! Fucking mainlines that shit. Now that would make for a good action/mystery movie.

10. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

It looks like utter garbage to me. I'll pass.

No shit, Sherlock.

11. Dentata

Dentata Senior member

You're probably right, but he should be portrayed as such. I'm reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes now, and he alludes to injecting cocaine! Fucking mainlines that shit. Now that would make for a good action/mystery movie.

Erm...I was being sarcastic. I don't think Holmes is Holmes without cocaine. And of all people it's Guy Ritchie that decides to remove the drug use. [​IMG]

12. sjd

sjd Senior member

I think it will be enjoyable. Now that Guy Ritchie is rid of Madonna (or vice versa) he can get back to making good films again. I love Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.

13. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

I think it looks terrible. It's going to be like Shanghai Noon.

14. dpw

dpw Senior member

Jeremy Brett did a wonderful job of teasing out my ideal Holmes

15. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Looks awful. JLib, I am really surprised by your professor friend's comment. I seem to remember a lot of my classmates in elementary and middle school being fond of Holmes. But maybe that's just me wishing that was the case.