• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell+JR for £405 from 'A Fine Pair of Shoes'

monkey66

Reaction score
Just got this offer through. I have no affiliation to them but I have bought Saphir products from them in the past so I'm on their mailing list. Thought I would share, specs seem very good for the price but I struggle to be too excited on the designs.

1_3e94c238-38ec-4c04-98fe-969e82153e52_1000x.jpg
2_972da711-d8b7-4634-9275-43f93ee46e7e_1000x.jpg
9_9383a2c3-00e0-43e2-bfb5-207b650703e9_1000x.jpg
e interested to hear thoughts.
6_fec8a4b8-5d5c-4689-a31e-364bc5225dc0_2048x.jpg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had been looking for Berwick cordovan a while back but couldn’t find any retailers stocking them.

They seem good value and I’ve heard good things about Berwick.

loduN

Reaction score
This is really tempting as my first pair of shell. I'm interested in the red-brown double monks, 450€ for a shell pair with JR Soles an "fitted" trees is impressive.
I do not like their more formal pairs with visible eyelets, I guess they had no choice considering the thickness of the skin.

I just sent them an email asking for the material of the heel counter as I have sensitive heels and I hope they'll let me know where they source the shell.

Will get back to you after I get an answer.

loduN

Reaction score
Here's the answer from AFPOE CS :

"Hello Sir,

So pleased that you like our new range. The tannery is a south American tannery and the heel counter is leather-board. I hope this helps

Kindest regards

Imogen"

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the same email. I have a couple of pairs of Berwick in leather and suede and they are good value.

Cordovan is interesting - but the styles are not.

A long wing brogue, a plain cap and a Yuma style loafer would have been great. Traditional cordovan styles.

The Berwick range highlights the limitations of cordovan. It is difficult to work with and thus make a sleek shoe.

I would prefer a decent calf leather and a more attractive last in the styles which they have offered.

monkey66

Reaction score
Ok, I have rolled the dice to see what they look like in real life, recient pictures look far more sleek to me and the 15% with trees and polish just put me over the edge.
1599149122583.png

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alas, only standard widths...

monkey66

Reaction score
I got the same email. I have a couple of pairs of Berwick in leather and suede and they are good value.

Cordovan is interesting - but the styles are not.

A long wing brogue, a plain cap and a Yuma style loafer would have been great. Traditional cordovan styles.

The Berwick range highlights the limitations of cordovan. It is difficult to work with and thus make a sleek shoe.

I would prefer a decent calf leather and a more attractive last in the styles which they have offered.

Has anyone else been successful with a shell whole-cut?

monkey66

Reaction score
Very happy with these. Fit is very good for me so a slightly roomy tts. Last is sleeker in real life. Colour is darker than photos which I am pleased about as will work with mid-grey. Build quality is very nice, tight stiching and effort made on the details. Shoe trees are not fully lasted but not bad. A couple of imperfections on the shell but nothing that concerns me in the slightest.

Overall I am delighted and am a little shocked at the price point.
20200905_140149.jpg

20200905_140202.jpg

monkey66

Reaction score
OK so an update, I have sadly decided to return these.

One shoe was noticeably duller than the other so I gave them a brush and started to notice a real difference between the two shoes. The RH shoe feels soft and shell like with a few imperfections but nothing to bad and started to glow with a few minutes of brushing. The left shoe unfortunately has several rough patches and a completely different feel. It lacks the classic shell sheen and softness to the touch. IMHO the hide used on the LH shoe should not have passed QC. I tried to photo but could not get any shots that could clearly show the difference but if you handled the shoes you would see and feel straight away.

Is it possible the left shoe had some polish/wax on it that was covering up the rough patches and revealed itself when given a brush?

Everything else about the shoe was great for the price-point.

Perhaps I was expecting to much? Perhaps once should only buy shell if it is from Horween?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads