• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell Cordovan Wallet Pron

Nightawl

Reaction score
This wallet by Ragnar Goods is insane

Any idea what leather is used on the inside? Did it come with all those marks?

Recently made a navy Rocado Shell Cordovan wallet, with orange Alran chevre interior. Wew, what a combination!

DSC08319.JPG

DSC08329.JPG

DSC08346.JPG

trevorplease

Reaction score
Any idea what leather is used on the inside? Did it come with all those marks?

It’s J&JF Baker dark stain oak bark leather and I think the white wax? will brush away but I’ll leave it to wear naturally

brandall10

Reaction score
Me neither, though I am not a fan of irregular stitching either, e.g., Frankenstitch, Veldtschoen, etc.

The thing about this wallet though is it is supposed to be totally audacious, big/bulky as all get out. The default version appears to be thicker than the shell version - over an inch empty!

https://ragnargoods.com/shop/erik-veg-tan-bifold-wallet-natural-sghxk

I'm a huge fan of Norwegian and Franken stitching... just can't deal with that kind of bulk (even with shell).

Last edited:

brandall10

Reaction score
I ordered a Chester Mox No. 8 Shell wallet about 6 weeks ago. After a slight delay while they awaited a new supply of leather from Horween, I got a shipping notification today. Checked their Instagram, and sure enough:

View attachment 972303

Fairly confident one of these is mine. They look absolutely gorgeous. I already know I'll love this particular design (#53 compact bifold) because I have one in CXL. Looking forward to using this Shell version. :nodding:

Any updates on this? I've had a CM card case for years, see they have a variety of shell items. Kinda like the version of this in black shell w/ yellow interior.

Nightawl

Reaction score
It’s J&JF Baker dark stain oak bark leather and I think the white wax? will brush away but I’ll leave it to wear naturally

Oh yup then that's normal. It will/should get a nice semi gloss when you brush away the layer of wax.

The thing about this wallet though is it is supposed to be totally audacious, big/bulky as all get out. The default version appears to be thicker than the shell version - over an inch empty!

https://ragnargoods.com/shop/erik-veg-tan-bifold-wallet-natural-sghxk

I'm a huge fan of Norwegian and Franken stitching... just can't deal with that kind of bulk (even with shell).

It used to be that leather, in its original form or what's sold by the tannery, was always pretty beefy/thick. IMO not suitable straight out of the box for making small accessories. But recently, many of the leather distributors and even tanneries are willing to split the leather down to much thinner and workable thickness, and some crafters even have splitters of their own. So there's no real excuse for thick wallets anymore, unless that is specifically the style that you are looking for.

trevorplease

Reaction score
The card slots and even the main inner panel have been thinned out. I wish I could see the full weight / grain of this leather as it does seem super substantial but I think it’d make for an unwearable wallet.

Edit: lol I am looking at pictures of the full grain leather unthinned and they are beastly

Last edited:

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Any updates on this? I've had a CM card case for years, see they have a variety of shell items. Kinda like the version of this in black shell w/ yellow interior.

It's a fantastic wallet, can't really beat the combo of Horween shell and Bellanie's craftsmanship. However, I decided to part with mine as I'm becoming strictly a front pocket carry/card case guy.

See my B&S listing in case you're interested, or just to check out the pics: https://www.styleforum.net/buyandse...orween-shell-cordovan-hand-made-in-usa.11229/

classicsaphic

Reaction score
Wanted to quickly share with y’all this really awesome little piece I purchased for my girlfriend a while back. A few months ago Ashland ran a limited run of marbled navy shell cordovan wallets and I managed to snag a little and have it made into a minimalist wallet. The color variation on this one is incredible and changes depending on the way the light hits it. Unfortunately my partner ended up not using it even once (she already has a Corter midwallet, a Benjamin Bott Wren and a shell Machine Gun Jack) so I’m going to have to find it a new home but I figured I would share some pictures with you all before I have to part with it.

08BA5435-2A38-471D-9D68-2642FE18D758.jpeg

6947DD62-CCD7-4572-BE15-FC0D89B0364A.jpeg

016C307E-EF30-4CD8-9B36-88B6755B6BA8.jpeg

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wanted to quickly share with y’all this really awesome little piece I purchased for my girlfriend a while back. A few months ago Ashland ran a limited run of marbled navy shell cordovan wallets and I managed to snag a little and have it made into a minimalist wallet. The color variation on this one is incredible and changes depending on the way the light hits it. Unfortunately my partner ended up not using it (she already has a Corter midwallet, a Benjamin Bott Wren and a shell Machine Gun Jack) So I’m going to have to find it a new home but I figured I would share some pictures with you all before I have to part with it.

View attachment 1061570

View attachment 1061571

View attachment 1061572
That. Is. Hawt.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Which US vendor offers the best bang for the $ 100% SC wallet at the moment? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads