1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shell Cordovan Wallet Pron

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Deusis

Deusis Senior member

I had a ton of questions over on /r/goodyearwelt about Glazed vs. Unglazed Shell Cordovan due to several of Viberg's recent releases - so I wrote a little article about it. Since I work with a ton of leather and have lots of both Glazed and Unglazed, both leather goods and boots, I felt like I may have the most experience beyond someone at Horween. Check it out and let me know what you think!

1 person likes this.
  2. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Deusis

Deusis Senior member

One week of use on my personal Horween Unglazed Natural Shell Cordovan "test pattern" bifold. This particular bifold is not hand stitched but is machine stitched with #138 natural thread. I am particularly proud of the cleanliness on both sides of it. I am almost to the point where I am comfortable commercially selling my machine stitched products.

All these photos are taken on a piece of unused, clean Unglazed Natural Shell for comparison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. crizq0

crizq0 Member

Ashland Fat Herbie Cordovan no. 8 with 1 month of wear.
    My very first cordovan wallet. Love the smell and how nice the leather feels. Seeing how it patinas is amazing. Was considering getting a used cordovan wallet but I think I prefer getting a new one and seeing the gradual changes first hand.

In this thread I haven't really seen the inside of the wallets after some use. Are you guys getting the rough marks on the inside of the wallet as if there are rocks or sand rubbing. Does this usually happen when cordovan is rubbed together?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. brax

brax Senior member

It may be the lighting but that certainly doesn't look like #8 to me.

6. crizq0

crizq0 Member

Whoops, I meant to write Color 8 Marbled. Not sure if that makes much of a difference.

7. katch

katch Senior member

Love the look and layout of the Herbie

8. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Makes sense now. It definitely looks lighter than my #8 though.

9. Matty123

Matty123 Senior member

Ashland Bugs Color 8 reverse interior. Been using it for about a week. Very happy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. classicsaphic

classicsaphic Active Member

I'm pretty sure that is normal. My non-reversed Bugs Moran has similar sanding marks from the shell rubbing together while in my pocket. You should be able to take some Venetian Cream and the smooth side of a spoon to those scratches if they bother you though.

11. classicsaphic

Hey everyone! I recieved another awesome wallet from J Michael the other week. This one is in a gorgeous emerald Italian shell and a really nice black veg tan and honestly it is adorable. It's super tiny and minimalist but it is built like an absolute tank. J Michael does amazing work. I will make sure to post more photos when I have the time!

I also have a really awesome wallet coming in from Jesse over at Guarded Goods which I am suuuuuper stoked about. I cannot stress enough how awesome it is to work with Jesse. I will make sure to spam the thread with photos of the wallet once it arrives if he doesn't beat me to it. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    2 people like this.
  12. Matty123

Matty123 Senior member

Question, My ashland color 8 wallet, pictured above, is getting some scratches on it from going in and out of my denim pockets. it must be getting scratched by the rivets. the scratches aren't deep. they are fairly superficial. any recommendations for getting rid of them?

13. katch

katch Senior member

Brush and deer bone

14. Matty123

Matty123 Senior member

Right, just like I do with my boots. Stupid me

15. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

I've found that if I don't carry my wallet for a couple days (because using a card case or something), it blooms far more than my shoes. Takes a lot of brushing to work the oils back in. Sometimes I wipe with a cloth and use it to moisturize my shoes.
    :nodding:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  16. Deusis

Deusis Senior member

Here are some recently created projects!

Horween Armangnac Shell Cordovan and Natural Chromexcel Horsehide

[​IMG]

Some lucky customer got a rare "three stamper".

[​IMG]

A little Horween Marbled Black Shell Cordovan:

[​IMG]

Horween "Frankenshell" Wallet. Made from Dark Green, Color 4, Marbled Black, and Color 8:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. classicsaphic

That Frankenshell wallet is lit! One of these days I am going to have to break the bank and commission one! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Deusis

Deusis Senior member

Now this isn't a wallet, but I'm sure you all appreciate it just the same.

Horween Scotch Grain Saddle Shell Cordovan. Darker than Natural and maybe a little darker than Whiskey too. Beautiful color with fantastic texture.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Deusis

Deusis Senior member

Haven't posted anything good in awhile! Here are some recent things...

A nice, small shipment of Shinki Hikaku Shell Cordovan in various colors.

[​IMG]

A Horween Green Marbled Shell Cordovan Bifold

[​IMG]

And doing a little dye experimentation on some Unglazed Natural Shell Cordovan

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. classicsaphic

Hey guys! I recieved my custom minimalist bifold/modified money clip wallet from Jesse the other day and I am so incredibly happy with how it came out. The proportions are perfect and the workmanship and construction are 10/10. This was the second version of the wallet and it is my FAVORITE wallet so far, so much so that I'm already planning on ordering another in natural shell. Here are some quick snapshots from yesterday. Check out that crisp machine stitch and the ever so convenient stamp peek! :slayer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    4 people like this.