• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell cordovan - elaborate joke or conspiracy?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wore my C&J/Polo cordovan ankle-jodhpurs today. Got a tiny sprinkle on them from the door to the car, the car to the office door, etc. Looked down at them on errands on my way home and they had nasty looking little spots all over them! I've heard of this but I hadn't seen it to this extent. After getting home I polished the bejesus out of them. But who knows if it will help - after all, I did polish them when I first got them. I just sprayed some water on one as an experiment, so we'll see what happens.

Anyway what are your experiences with cordovan in rain? I've noticed that some cordovan seems to refuse polish - it just smears around forever and never sinks in the way it does on leather. And can you get a real shine out of it like you can get a mirror finish on leather? It always seems to end up a bit waxy and/or rough to me. I like the look of it, but I wonder if it's possible to get it really shiny.

Side note - never break in wholecut shoes that don't fit snugly. If you get a pair that you insist on keeping but they aren't snug to begin with, put in insoles or whatever until they are snug before allowing them to break in creases in the leather. I thought these were pretty snug but in hindsight I should have put in thicker insoles (I don't think a 1/2 size down would have fit) before wearing them, because now they have a lot of creases on the uppers. I don't think it will look bad after they are broken in a bit more, but if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't wear them without having them snug in the first place.

minimal

Reaction score
Cordovan, in my experience, get's little raised "dots" in the rain that disappear when it dries.

I almost never polished my cordovans: usually just a good brushing. The very very few times I polished themwas with a tiny amount of polish, and I think it was a special type as it was marked specially for cordovan. (Allen Edmonds has polish that's marked for cordovan, whether or or not it's any different I don't know.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I've worn shell cordovan in the rain and have found that they polish up nicely afterwards once tried. Hope it all works out for you.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Being that Cordovan comes from a Horse's Ass it just might be an elaborate joke
laugh.gif

P.S.: If those C & J's are a size 11D, I'll help you stop being the Butt of a joke
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

billiebob

Reaction score
My polo cordovans and BB Aldens regularly get pretty wet, but thankfully never get bumps.

The Aldens positively gleam after a brushing. The Polos I can't seem to shine much at all, except for the very toe tip.

pkincy

Reaction score
FWIW, the AE store folks recommended their Cordovan cream for the Leeds I purchased and said not to use a wax as it would build up. So far I have followed their advice and have been pleased.

Perry

pejsek

Reaction score
I've never had any trouble with cordovan in rain--in fact, I probably wear cordovan shoes in the rain more than any others, mostly because they tend to have rather stout soles. But then, of course, my cordovans have usually had years to find themselves and get comfortable in their skins before they become acquainted with my feet. For all I know, new cordovan may be a bit different. Just keep in mind what you already know: cordovan is tough and will only get better.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sorry J, no problem in the rain. I did have trouble, in the begining, getting them to shine, due to putting too much wax on. by using a piece of wet nylon stocking and rubbing hard, I got a great mirror shine.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've gotten those little spots you describe on my cordovan shoes, from rain. A tiny bit of wax polish takes care of it for me.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, yeah they look fine now. I'll see how they do in the next rain. I wonder why the surface of these and some other cordovan shoes I've seen is so rough in parts, though. Is that normal for a 'good' shoe? Shouldn't they try to put the smoothest parts on the toe and counters?

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I wore my C&J/Polo cordovan ankle-jodhpurs today. Got a tiny sprinkle on them from the door to the car, the car to the office door, etc. Looked down at them on errands on my way home and they had nasty looking little spots all over them! I've heard of this but I hadn't seen it to this extent. After getting home I polished the bejesus out of them. But who knows if it will help - after all, I did polish them when I first got them. I just sprayed some water on one as an experiment, so we'll see what happens.

Anyway what are your experiences with cordovan in rain? I've noticed that some cordovan seems to refuse polish - it just smears around forever and never sinks in the way it does on leather. And can you get a real shine out of it like you can get a mirror finish on leather? It always seems to end up a bit waxy and/or rough to me. I like the look of it, but I wonder if it's possible to get it really shiny.

I tend to wear my cordovan shoes on rainy days, J. The old "is cordovan warmer than calf" debate not withstanding, I tend to think that my toes are toastier in thicker soled Alden cordovans.

I have seen bumps develop in the rain, too. For what it is worth, Alden says that you should never try to polish your cordovan shoes when wet. I thought the fear might be that you could take up one of the bumps, (Pull the scab off of the wound?) but that is pure speculation on my part.

I hear people talking about polishing their cordovan shoes to a mirror finish, and am green with envy. I can do that regularly with calf, but have never been able to do it with cordovan. I also have wondered about the unevenness (the roughness) on some of the Alden cordovan shoes that I have. Regardless of where the bumps come from, could this be a case of "natural state of the raw material adds character" ?

Bic

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Hmm, yeah they look fine now. I'll see how they do in the next rain. I wonder why the surface of these and some other cordovan shoes I've seen is so rough in parts, though. Is that normal for a 'good' shoe? Shouldn't they try to put the smoothest parts on the toe and counters?

This is certainly not too uncommon for shell. Mine haven't done that, but it happens. As you've noted, it goes away, and there is no permanent damage. Remember that shell cordovan is basically a handmade product with much variation. In other words, don't worry...be happy.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
J, very strange. I go out of the way to wear cordovan in the rain, and buy cordovan boots for just this purpose. It is denser than calf and something in the membrane (whatever gives it that "waxy" appearance) keeps out the rain. The shoes never soak through, or even come close. Can't say that about calf. I have never had a spotting problem, either. I have cordo from Brooks (Alden), Vass, and Carmina.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics