1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Shell cordovan creasing: how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by makewayhomer, Feb 13, 2010.

1. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Well-Known Member

I'm trying to come to terms with how shell looks in the long term, and whether I really like the way it creases. I'm certainly sure I don't like the pic below...but this is something that happens if you don't use trees and/or wear shoes that don't fit, right? right?

[​IMG]

2. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

oof. i wouldn't wear shoes like that unless i was, uh, at a fancy event in a field at a farm.

3. distinctive

distinctive Well-Known Member

They definitely wouldn't look like that on your feet. Plus, if those were calf, you would probably have holes and cracks all over them.

4. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

I think those are too large for the owner. I have a pair of shell chukkas that are a little too big on me, and they're similarly creased.

5. Spats

Spats Well-Known Member

You must only ask "shell guys." If they tell you they look fine like that, and that they are, in fact, highly desirable like that, you will like them.
    Any other questions?

6. weilian

weilian Well-Known Member

You must only ask "shell guys." If they tell you they look fine like that, and that they are, in fact, highly desirable like that, you will like them.
    Any other questions?

[​IMG]

7. Champagnelifestylenomoney

Champagnelifestylenomoney Well-Known Member

Too much creasing. Either they are the wrong size or the volume of the shoe is too much for your feet (incorrect last size) - good shoe trees would sort these problems out over time. Finally they may have been poorly re-soled pinching the uppers (new soles needed to sort this out).

8. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I hope my shells don't look like that next month.

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

This is one reason I like shell for clunky round-toed shoes. I sometimes wonder what some of the sleeker shell styles will end up looking like after five years of regular wear.

10. enigma77

enigma77 Well-Known Member

Wow I'm imagining how those shoes were when they were new. Must have been amazing.

11. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

The shoes in the pic look as if they were too large. I have shells dating back a decade, and none looks that way.

12. Siggy

Siggy Well-Known Member

Ugh! None of my shells look even close to that creased. If they did, I would never buy another pair of shells.

One thing that probably plays a role is that these are monks, with no seem at all on the vamp (and they are probably too big). My shells are mostly derbies, some captoes etc. and the space for creasing is more limited.

13. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I like plain toe shells particularly for how they show off the creases, but the shoes in the pic show them to the extreme, IMO, and not in a pleasing way.

14. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

That's definitely too much.

15. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

Here is how my oldest pair of shell looks:

[​IMG]

My PTBs usually crease a bit more since there is nothing to 'guide' the creases. Chukkas and monks will definitely crease more but that pic seems overly creased --> probably due to improper sizing. The color on them is very beautiful though.

16. Drydis Greis

Drydis Greis Well-Known Member

I'm trying to come to terms with how shell looks in the long term, and whether I really like the way it creases. I'm certainly sure I don't like the pic below...but this is something that happens if you don't use trees and/or wear shoes that don't fit, right? right?

[​IMG]

ALways use shoe trees! The creasing will still be there but not anywhere near as pronounced as in that photo. I have a number of shell shoes/boots and never let them go without trees in them after wear. Just my thinking out loud...

17. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

they look fine to me.

new:

[​IMG]

18. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

As others posted, the shoes in the OP appear mis-sized. Here is a pair of shell cordovan monks (Martegani) after about a year of being worn once a week (Stored between wearings with lasted shoe trees inserted): [​IMG] The creasing is no more severe than my other shell cordovan shoes.

19. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

^^^Those look good, and have aged nicely.

20. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

^^^Those look good, and have aged nicely.

Thanks. They're some of my favorite shoes and get spot-polished after every wearing. Every new scuff physically hurts me!