• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell cordovan creasing: how much is too much?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to come to terms with how shell looks in the long term, and whether I really like the way it creases. I'm certainly sure I don't like the pic below...but this is something that happens if you don't use trees and/or wear shoes that don't fit, right? right?

49152564.jpg

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oof. i wouldn't wear shoes like that unless i was, uh, at a fancy event in a field at a farm.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I think those are too large for the owner. I have a pair of shell chukkas that are a little too big on me, and they're similarly creased.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You must only ask "shell guys." If they tell you they look fine like that, and that they are, in fact, highly desirable like that, you will like them.
Any other questions?

weilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spats
You must only ask "shell guys." If they tell you they look fine like that, and that they are, in fact, highly desirable like that, you will like them.
Any other questions?

laugh.gif

Reaction score
Too much creasing. Either they are the wrong size or the volume of the shoe is too much for your feet (incorrect last size) - good shoe trees would sort these problems out over time. Finally they may have been poorly re-soled pinching the uppers (new soles needed to sort this out).

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
49152564.jpg

frown.gif

I hope my shells don't look like that next month.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The shoes in the pic look as if they were too large. I have shells dating back a decade, and none looks that way.

Siggy

Reaction score
Ugh! None of my shells look even close to that creased. If they did, I would never buy another pair of shells.

One thing that probably plays a role is that these are monks, with no seem at all on the vamp (and they are probably too big). My shells are mostly derbies, some captoes etc. and the space for creasing is more limited.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like plain toe shells particularly for how they show off the creases, but the shoes in the pic show them to the extreme, IMO, and not in a pleasing way.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's definitely too much.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is how my oldest pair of shell looks:

XNBeU.jpg

My PTBs usually crease a bit more since there is nothing to 'guide' the creases. Chukkas and monks will definitely crease more but that pic seems overly creased --> probably due to improper sizing. The color on them is very beautiful though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads