• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shell Cordovan comes from...?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume' expired' horses? Was asked recently how shell cordovan leather is procured from the horses I could not find definitive (or at least reputable) sources on this...

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's a market for horse meat...

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American horse meat is sold in Europe (and elsewhere I suppose). A choice bit of horse meat landed on my plate in Genève, Switzerland. Tasted good with garlic butter and frites.

Virchow

Reaction score
IIRC Horween's shell comes from Canadian horses. Where the rest of the horse goes, I don't know.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canadian horses, eh? Then I didn't eat the horse your shoes were made from.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would love to eat a horse or cow wearing shoes made of its hide.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm calling PETA!!!!!
While it sounds twisted it's actually a respect thing, use every part of the animal, ya know? Maybe freeze it's eyeballs as ice cubes too!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he he.

Very little gets wasted from a slaughtered animal. It's actually pretty amazing.
!

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the shell pair in the experiment? Alden or Allen Edmonds? Great video, makes you think how much work was put into making a pair of shoes when wearing shell cordovan.

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff... however, I guess what I am curious about is are horses specifically bred and then killed primarily for the hides or are the hides obtained from horses that were put to sleep for other reasons then the hides are procured. I assume the latter for pragmatic reasons but just curious if others know specifically.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting stuff... however, I guess what I am curious about is are horses specifically bred and then killed primarily for the hides or are the hides obtained from horses that were put to sleep for other reasons then the hides are procured. I assume the latter for pragmatic reasons but just curious if others know specifically.
I imagine it's the same as any other animal. They raise them for the meat and hides and sell them. It would be rather difficult to run around asking people to give you their dead horses...

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cute little baby ponies are tortured so that the epi released conditions the skin right before they are skinned alive.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the shell pair in the experiment? Alden or Allen Edmonds? Great video, makes you think how much work was put into making a pair of shoes when wearing shell cordovan.

I think Horween's preparation for chromexcel is also as time-consuming.

EMartNJ: good point. I guess more calf hide could be due to more more consumption.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 111 33.6%
  • 8”

Votes: 99 30.0%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.9%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%