Shell cordovan belts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JohnMS, Jun 8, 2004.

1. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

http://www.landsend.com/cd....7191810 Lands' End for some time has offered a shell cordovan belt in color 8 for $89. Has anyone purchased this belt that can comment on the quality? My thinking is that not just any belt maker could work with shell cordovan and perhaps this is a belt made by the same maker as makes Alden shell belts or Ben Silver. Can anyone shed some light on this belt?

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Strange, they only have it in 32, 38, 40 ... totally skipping 34 and 36? It's a good price, though. Too bad they don't have a bigger picture so we could see if/how it's put together from shorter pieces.

3. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I think shell cordovan belts are always made from multiple pieces. The horsehide isn't big enough to cut an entire belt from lengthwise.

4. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior member

They had a full range of sizes when they started out, but the sizes not seen sold out quickly from what I recall.

I too had heard/read that shell cordovan belts must be made in pieces. In speaking with Lands' End, they confirmed that belt is made that way.

They don't have my size or I would give the belt a try. lands' End has a very liberal return policy.

5. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

While on the topic of belts - anyone ever seen the Sulka belts that Flusser mentioned - yellow webbing with alligator trim? They sound great, I've always hoped to find one.