• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shell belts...

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just popped into C&J to grab a belt and noticed they sell Shell Cordovan belts - it seems they only sell them in black though.

Anyone know of a good source for shell belts in other colours?

Thanks in advance,
Stephen.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Alden (and shoemart/shermanbros/etc.)
BB
Ben Silver, maybe?

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB? I'll pop into them tomorrow. I've never actually seen shell belts before. Liked the look and feel of them. Wonder what they'd be like after a lot of wear...

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
keep in mind that shell is not long enough to make a belt so a true shell belt will be made up in "pieces".

Yup - noticed the seams - actually quite liked the effect. They were £150 though which is pretty steep...

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll bet Ron Rider can hook you up as well. Don't know if you know of him or not, but he's SF member RIDER and he's both the US rep for Martegani shoes and has his own shoe company which produces quite a few cordovan models. I seem to think he's done some belts in the past. Might be worth checking.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
I'll bet Ron Rider can hook you up as well. Don't know if you know of him or not, but he's SF member RIDER and he's both the US rep for Martegani shoes and has his own shoe company which produces quite a few cordovan models. I seem to think he's done some belts in the past. Might be worth checking.

I've bought some shoes from him off eBay in the past - will send him a PM thanks.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers is probably most easily accessible.

They have Black, #8, and tan/whiskey

tsherry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
BB? I'll pop into them tomorrow. I've never actually seen shell belts before. Liked the look and feel of them. Wonder what they'd be like after a lot of wear...

I have a color 8 shell belt from BB that has seen quite a lot of wear. It looks brand new. As mentioned, they are pieced so the color may not be uniform.

DandySF

Reaction score
I found the cost of BB's shell belts to be more than I was willing to pay. They have a calf version that provides a similar look, for about $85. The buckle comes in either silver or a golden color, a detail I nearly overlooked in the store lighting. The calf version goes well with my Alden shell loafers in #8.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never owned a shell belt, but I saw an old one a couple of weeks ago that was still straight and looked almost new. It's made me consider one for when my current dress belt needs replacement.

Omega Man

Reaction score
Should give Alden shell cordo belts a try. Got one from Tom at LeatherSoul, very well made and hefty. You have the option of choosing the color of the buckle. A little more expensive, but well worth the price.

vitix

Reaction score
Hello, My name is Vincent Tarroux. I do sell some belts and cordovan belts. I have 8# Horween cordovan in stock but I can provide other colors with extra cost. My price is 140 EUR or 200 USD for oxblood (8) cordovan. I'll add an extra cost of 15 EUR/20 USD for black, whisky... Cordovan. You also have a wide choice of buckles from Poursin Paris. So my blog http://patines-glacages-souliers.blogspot.com/ leather http://depiedencap.leforum.eu/image/...6472b0.jpg.htm buckles from Poursin, I can have more styles if you want. http://depiedencap.leforum.eu/image/...4f45d3.jpg.htm I'll post a completed belt on monday. If you have any questions?

mtf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
keep in mind that shell is not long enough to make a belt so a true shell belt will be made up in "pieces".

Zebra's have the shell cordovan membrane that runs the length of their back and not just the rear haunches like horse. I hear that they are large enough that you can make a rifle case out of one. I talked to Horween about tanning them and the CEO mentioned that he hasn't seen one in decades. Zebra typically aren't farm raised since the meat is typically only used in balogna or hot dogs. Apparently the actual shell membrane is inside the animals hide. It needs to be removed and salted very quickly after death. I imagine it's very difficult to do in time with such tough animals that are so resistant to domestication. But it would make an awesome souvenir next time I'm in Africa if I could talk someone into tanning it.

coltboy75

Reaction score
www.beltman.net

I have a horsehide, elephant and the no buckle belt. I love the no buckle belt when traveling in airports or train stations as you do not need to remove it for the metal detectors. Made to order, excellent service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads