• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl Collar Cardigans

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often wear cardigans in the winter, mostly zippered ones, and vests too and I've been thinking lately of getting a shawl collar cardigan. I'm still not sure how much I'll wear it and if I'll like it so I want to try them out by buying a more inexpensive one rather than shelling out big bucks for a Cucinelli or something. I know some will disagree with this approach but so be it.

I went to Banana Republic and they probably had the best selection of inexpensive shawl collar cardigans to be found anywhere. Here are a few. Tell me which one you prefer and why or offer any alternatives.

A. Monogram Cashmere: http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...222&pid=606151

I really like this one for the color and the fabric is very soft but I HATE that breast pocket and it ruins it for me.

B. Heritage Striped: http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...222&pid=606368

I really like this one but I'm not sure about the stripes. I sort of like them but prefer solid. It fits well too.

C. Monogram DB Merino: http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...222&pid=586564

This one is perfect. I love the collar, the eight buttons and the fabric but it's black
frown.gif

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That B. Heritage Striped cardi makes me want to cut myself and not in a sexy way.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The stripey one would make you look like a 1920s jailbird. The cashmere one is nice. You can eventually find one on teh ebayz with some looking -- I found an unused BB camelhair shawl collar cardigan for a very reasonable price which suited me fine until my fiancee appropriated it. Luckily she didn't find the Arnys 12-ply cashmere one that I replaced it with.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a cable knit RL one from last season that's nice. Finally got some chinos to go with it and a shirt I haven't worn yet but I want to wear.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I love shawl collars on nearly anything, and I have maybe ten shawl collar cardigans.

If we stick with mall-wear, here's something cheap:

JCrew Spencer

Here's one that's more, but the cashmere is surprisingly good quality:

JCrew Shaker

I actually have this second sweater. The fabric is supposedly milled in Italy, and at least in terms of what I can discern, it is very nice.

Of course, the rockin' stuff will be Scottish, or one of the higher end Italian makers.

- B

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
The stripey one would make you look like a 1920s jailbird.

That's not a good look?
confused.gif

izlat

Reaction score
A looks great but even on sale seems a bi expensive for BR - how good is this cashmer?
B - don't know, maybe I could work that somewhow.
Not a fan of C - something looks wrong

Cheers

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#3 from BR has some potential for those of us who wear black. The stripey thing is awful. The pocket does ruin #1.

The JCrew sweater looks nice, but that's a lot of money for J Crew. At that price point, I'd save for something better.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
The JCrew sweater looks nice, but that's a lot of money for J Crew. At that price point, I'd save for something better.

I have the better stuff, and the J. Crew shaker compares favorably to them, except for the plastic buttons.

- B

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go all out (I have actually considered buying this):

pFILSON1-3931904dt.jpg

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My office is often unbearably cold, and I'm not the biggest fan of wearing a sportcoat/jacket while seated. I searched around for a shawl collar, but ended up settling on a shirt-jacket from Freeman's Sporting Club. I grabbed a tan (mustard, really) herringbone first, but fell out of love with teh color after a few days. I'm heading back this wknd for either a navy or the one pictured below. Really great quality, made in Manhattan, unlined, wool is light and soft as butter and a good price since everything in the store is 25% off right now ($225-250ish).

photo_shacket.jpg

http://www.freemanssportingclub.com/...on_shacket.htm

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scruff
photo_shacket.jpg

Can you please stop buying stuff that I want?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads