• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl collar cardigan recommendations

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a vote for the William Lockie shawl cardigan & can't recommend it enough. I considered the Scott & Charters one, but I preferred the look (tighter weave) of the WL; plus this camel hair is sooo comfy & soft. FWIW, I inquired with Ben Silver on their shawl cardigan maker and they replied that it was William Lockie.

I had a Epaulet x Northern Watters shawl cardigan before and like @avsmusic1 I found the wool uncomfortable to wear casual like with a short sleeve tee.

906802-f7b2460c6c4e9e985aec7932610f53ed.jpg

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a vote for the William Lockie shawl cardigan & can't recommend it enough. I considered the Scott & Charters one, but I preferred the look (tighter weave) of the WL; plus this camel hair is sooo comfy & soft. FWIW, I inquired with Ben Silver on their shawl cardigan maker and they replied that it was William Lockie.

I had a Epaulet x Northern Watters shawl cardigan before and like @avsmusic1 I found the wool uncomfortable to wear casual like with a short sleeve tee.

906802-f7b2460c6c4e9e985aec7932610f53ed.jpg

Handsome fit on you!

I have pull the trigger and ordered the William Lockie Shawl Cardigan as well in size 38. Now I have to wait until the Factory produce one as it was a part of a group order (they only accept order if it contains 4 pieces of same size) ..

I wear suits in size 38R, so hopefully it would be a fit close to yours in the photo above (what size did you go with, and what size of suit are you wearing - If I may ask)?

Wanted to go with size 36 as a safe bet, being that I like the close fit, but couldn't do it, considering all other size were 38 ..

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you @Nikola ! I went with size S, which I believe is "40" (not 100%)? I typically wear 38R in suits (38 Eidos, 36 Formosa) and consider this a good fit for me. There's a little bit of slouch to it, but not too loose. I think 38 should be exactly what you're looking for, so I hope it works out for you

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you @Nikola ! I went with size S, which I believe is "40" (not 100%)? I typically wear 38R in suits (38 Eidos, 36 Formosa) and consider this a good fit for me. There's a little bit of slouch to it, but not too loose. I think 38 should be exactly what you're looking for, so I hope it works out for you

Thanks so much for letting me know ..

You are correct. The size 40 at William Lockie corresponds to S. I went with 38 and was told it's the XS.

I believe the smallest they are making is XXS or 36 ..

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the longest of long shots, but does anybody know if S&C or WL or anyobdy who makes a similar shawl cardigan will do MTO lengths? Like take a stock size and just knit the body and sleeves shorter? These all fit long on me and the cost of altering the sleeves after purchase is too much.

I have a Northern Watters shawl collar cardigan which I love, but want something with a bigger shawl/more roll to it.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the longest of long shots, but does anybody know if S&C or WL or anyobdy who makes a similar shawl cardigan will do MTO lengths? Like take a stock size and just knit the body and sleeves shorter? These all fit long on me and the cost of altering the sleeves after purchase is too much.

I have a Northern Watters shawl collar cardigan which I love, but want something with a bigger shawl/more roll to it.

I guess the only way to find out is to send the WL an e-mail with this request ..

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess the only way to find out is to send the WL an e-mail with this request ..

Yeah worth a shot. Nikola, how did you get in on the WL GMTO and do you know the measurements of the 36/38 sizes?

68Bullitt

Reaction score
@Spaghettimatt: You can contact NPeal and they can make sleeve adjustments to existing models at no additional cost. Due to my long arms, I have to have them add an extra 1.5" to my knitwear. As for the length, I believe you'd have to use their MTO program.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Spaghettimatt There was a group of guys at Wimbledon Wardrobe thread who were ordering these cardigans in size 38 as they thought the regular 40 would be too roomy for them, so I jump ship and I am now waiting for my preferred color in size 38 ..

As I understood, in order for the Factory to change the size at least 4 cardigans is needed with 50% down payment ...

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@flashjack Very nice fit on you. Saw these on sale as well, though their size system backed me off ..

The smallest was medium I believe and knowing that it corresponds to 42 size in suits I decided to skip, being I wear a suit 38.. Though the price was amazing .. I believe only about $230 ..

What size did you go for, and what size of a suit do you normally wear If I may ask?

flashjack

Reaction score
@flashjack Very nice fit on you. Saw these on sale as well, though their size system backed me off ..

The smallest was medium I believe and knowing that it corresponds to 42 size in suits I decided to skip, being I wear a suit 38.. Though the price was amazing .. I believe only about $230 ..

What size did you go for, and what size of a suit do you normally wear If I may ask?

I went for the large and wear a 42R typically. As you can see it's a fairly slouchy sort of fit, and i could have taken a medium as there's quite a bit of stretch in the wool. I'm 6'1 to give you an idea on the length.

Jon 1981

Reaction score
can the sleeve width of the Lockie/Drake's cardigan altered to be made narrower? it' the only thing holding me back from purchasing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads