• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl collar cardigan recommendations

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The storied Drumohr and Ballantyne were closing down, if not for the Italian investors. The new Drumohr and Ballantyne conflate tradition and innovation, create modern designs by Italian knitters using the best quality yarns sourced in Italy and the UK.

As far as I know, Ballantyne is gone. Caerlee Mills has completely closed, and the brand Ballantyne is now just made by one of the other factories in Scotland. And it's sold for more money than if you just went to that house line from that factory. The guy who took over Ballantyne, while very nice and well intentioned, is mostly doing the job of marketing "bare finished" qualities in Scottish knitwear. Something I think is very important, but it's no longer what the brand was just a few years ago.

The other two you named, Pringle and Drumohr, exist in name only, as far as I'm aware. I don't think they even make in Scotland anymore. I bought some things from them since they were taken over by outside investors, and I found the quality to be disappointing. At least compared to the old stuff.

Video of Caerlee Mills getting dismantled.

Last edited:

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

La Fin Du Monde

Reaction score
As far as I know, Ballantyne is gone. Caerlee Mills has completely closed, and the brand Ballantyne is now just made by one of the other factories in Scotland. And it's sold for more money than if you just went to that house line from that factory. The guy who took over Ballantyne, while very nice and well intentioned, is mostly doing the job of marketing "bare finished" qualities in Scottish knitwear. Something I think is very important, but it's no longer what the brand was just a few years ago.

The other two you named, Pringle and Drumohr, exist in name only, as far as I'm aware. I don't think they even make in Scotland anymore. I bought some things from them since they were taken over by outside investors, and I found the quality to be disappointing. At least compared to the old stuff.

Video of Caerlee Mills getting dismantled.

@dieworkwear if you were to recommend a brand/s to go with, what would you recommend? It is so hard to navigate the quality of garments these days...

DSauerwald

Reaction score
I thought of ordering that one, any chance if you could post a photo wearing it?

Also, I am usually a size 38R in suits, should I order it in size Small, or it will still be too generous? I like the slim fit with these cardigans ..

I’ll post a pic later today. I’m a 38R and the small fits perfectly.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll post a pic later today. I’m a 38R and the small fits perfectly.

Thanks, looking forward!

Mostly interested to see how the shawl collar itself fits, as it appears to be a bit exaggerated compared to other shawl cardigans ..

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear if you were to recommend a brand/s to go with, what would you recommend? It is so hard to navigate the quality of garments these days...

If you're not constrained by budget, I think William Lockie, Scott & Charters, Drake's, The Armoury, Cordings, Ben Silver, The Andover Shop, and The Wardrobe Wimbledon are all quite nice.

They just fit very differently, but you can tell how they'll fit from most online photos. Half of those will fit looser and longer, with a shawl collar that drapes like a heavy roll of dough. The others will fit trimmer and shorter, with a wider collar that sits closer to the body. The first has an elongated silhouette; the second has a relatively rounder silhouette. Most people will probably find the second a bit easier to wear, but they're both nice. The first is good if you want something that fits like outerwear.

They're expensive though. Getting something in lambswool instead of cashmere will make things more affordable, but those are still like $300-400. If you want something more affordable, it kind of depends on your budget and what specifically you're after.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're not constrained by budget, I think William Lockie, Scott & Charters, Drake's, The Armoury, Cordings, Ben Silver, The Andover Shop, and The Wardrobe Wimbledon are all quite nice.

They just fit very differently, but you can tell how they'll fit from most online photos. Half of those will fit looser and longer, with a shawl collar that drapes like a heavy roll of dough. The others will fit trimmer and shorter, with a wider collar that sits closer to the body. The first has an elongated silhouette; the second has a relatively rounder silhouette. Most people will probably find the second a bit easier to wear, but they're both nice. The first is good if you want something that fits like outerwear.

They're expensive though. Getting something in lambswool instead of cashmere will make things more affordable, but those are still like $300-400. If you want something more affordable, it kind of depends on your budget and what specifically you're after.

Where could someone find the Scott Charters cardigans online, except those leftovers at Nomanwalksalone?

I believe they are closed down at the moment and not producing anything until the Summer ..

Also, do you think the Cordings and Drakes both have the same manufacturer - William Lockie?

I assume they are just putting their stickers instead of manufacturers and sell it for profit ..

La Fin Du Monde

Reaction score

Thank you again. Incredibly helpful insight.

DSauerwald

Reaction score
Here’s a picture. Not the best, I’m afraid, but you get the idea. It’s not slim fit, but the shawl is generous, which I love. Quality of make seems quite respectable to me, though I’m no expert.

4375DAAC-E6B3-43B0-BBB6-75EF699BD3E9.jpeg

68Bullitt

Reaction score
Also, do you think the Cordings and Drakes both have the same manufacturer - William Lockie?

I assume they are just putting their stickers instead of manufacturers and sell it for profit ..

Drakes are made by William Lockie. I have one from each and they are both identical. The only reason to go with Drakes is to get a color that's outside of W.L.'s staple offerings - Navy, Flannel, Dark Natural.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s a picture. Not the best, I’m afraid, but you get the idea. It’s not slim fit, but the shawl is generous, which I love. Quality of make seems quite respectable to me, though I’m no expert.

View attachment 904534

Great fit on you, better than I hoped for! Thanks so much for posting.

Too bad the high postage cost to Europe, where I live, teamed with the import duties and taxes would double the price of this sweater making it not so attractive purchase .. Just found that out upon trying to order it..

Drakes are made by William Lockie. I have one from each and they are both identical. The only reason to go with Drakes is to get a color that's outside of W.L.'s staple offerings - Navy, Flannel, Dark Natural.

Thanks for confirming this. It's what I thought - there's no one else that could replicate their work to that extent .. The Drake's markup is quite high ..

68Bullitt

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming this. It's what I thought - there's no one else that could replicate their work to that extent .. The Drake's markup is quite high ..

It certainly is an expensive item and one that had been on my wishlist for a couple of years. However, early 2017 saw the £ take a hit and once the exchange rate was about $1.18 I decided to purchase the green cashmere from Drakes. In addition to deducting VAT, I was pretty happy with my purchase.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[No longer relevant]

Last edited:

avsmusic1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it blasphemous to ask for recs on cotton options? I love this look and the utility of these pieces but I have a mild wool allergy and generally find thicker knit wool too warm for wearing indoors. I have one of the northern waters cardigans from epaulet and love it, but rarely wear it b/c it's too warm for my office and I can't wear it more casual (with a t-shirt) outside the office b/c the wool will irritate my skin

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads