• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl collar cardigan recommendations

NickInTO

Reaction score
Some great options. I broke down and bought the S&C from NMWA during their Black Friday sale. Now if Canada Post would deliver the damn thing already...

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am here to filter the best of the best options ..

So, what do we have so far?

Scott Charters- too baggy and nowhere to be found anymore as some bigger company took them over and they are now making a new factory, so it will take -who knows how more time- before they are up and running again ..

William Lockie - their web page showing these cardigans is frozen and they cannot be added to the basket - I sent them e-mail ..

Drakes - too much expensive for what it provides compared to SC and WL ..

Am I missing something? I am from Europe, so please if someone could point out on some stockists or retailers I would be helpful ..

P.S Anyone knows who is making the cardigans for O'Connells' USA?

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks so much .. Any idea who is making those cardigans for them?

I really prefer the Scott Charters type of pockets where the "whole pocket" is visible compared to those in the link where only a upper part is visible and rest is just melted in the cardigan .. Though, would buy them regardless ..

If anyone has something more to propose, would be great .. I have a Ralph Lauren cardigan myself which fits great, but I just feel it lacks the heritage feel compared to those from Scotland like Scott Charters ..

emptym

Reaction score
If those Wardrobe Wimbledon ones are the ones I posted earlier, they looked to me the same as the Armoury or Lockie.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If those Wardrobe Wimbledon ones are the ones I posted earlier, they looked to me the same as the Armoury or Lockie.

You believe the WL is making them? How do you think they fit? They look great on a wooden doll, not sure if that's the case though .. I have the athletic build, going to gym and all that and prefer a more tailored look .. Had a issue with Scott Charters once - ordered a size 40 or 38 (I forgot), and received a shawl that felt 4 sizes too big with excess of material all over .. And that was their smallest size .. I understand these cardigans may be designed as and outwear item, but not sure how many guys could wear those smallest sizes .. And I am not short or skinny ..

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You believe the WL is making them? How do you think they fit? They look great on a wooden doll, not sure if that's the case though .. I have the athletic build, going to gym and all that and prefer a more tailored look .. Had a issue with Scott Charters once - ordered a size 40 or 38 (I forgot), and received a shawl that felt 4 sizes too big with excess of material all over .. And that was their smallest size .. I understand these cardigans may be designed as and outwear item, but not sure how many guys could wear those smallest sizes .. And I am not short or skinny ..

same reason why I tried S&C once and decide to pass, unless they make something even smaller than 36 but then the body would still be too long, guess the look is just not for me

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Buying a classic shawl collar cardigan I'd look to the renowned Italian and British knitwear makers: Ballantyne, Pringle of Scotland, Drumohr, Roberto Collina, GRP, Malo...as you require it to be business casual appropriate chunky knit is out of the picture. You are looking at light to medium weight slim fitting cardigans knitted from finer yarns.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Buying a classic shawl collar cardigan I'd look to the renowned Italian and British knitwear makers: Ballantyne, Pringle of Scotland, Drumohr, Roberto Collina, GRP, Malo...as you require it to be business casual appropriate chunky knit is out of the picture. You are looking at light to medium weight slim fitting cardigans knitted from finer yarns.

Drumohr, Pringle, and Ballantyne aren't the storied names they once were. The factories that made them great have long been closed, and to the degree they exist now, they're owned by outside investors who have turned them in your run of the mill fashion brands. McGeorge is the same thing.

To be sure, they're still "good" sweaters. But their reputation mostly runs on a heritage that has been long gone.

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Drumohr, Pringle, and Ballantyne aren't the storied names they once were. The factories that made them great have long been closed, and to the degree they exist now, they're owned by outside investors who have turned them in your run of the mill fashion brands. McGeorge is the same thing.
The storied Drumohr and Ballantyne were closing down, if not for the Italian investors. The new Drumohr and Ballantyne conflate tradition and innovation, create modern designs by Italian artisans using the best quality yarns sourced in Italy and the UK.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads