• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl collar cardigan recommendations

NickInTO

Reaction score
I'm looking for a nice shawl collar cardigan to wear with a CM/business casual wardrobe. I love the Scott & Charters version, but can't spend ~$400.

Any recommendations for a quality cardigan at half that price (or less)? Does anyone have any experience with the Suit Supply cardigans?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Northern Watters makes a nice cardigan in PEI for $249.

emptym

Reaction score
I normally wouldn't do this, but I'm going to recommend something more than the S&C one, the Armoury cardigan. I looked around a lot for a good sc cardigan and couldn't find any that looked as good as the Armoury's. It's expensive, but worth it for something I wear often and will for decades. The collar is perfect imo. Most others are too skimpy or oddly shaped. I also liked the ribbing, cuffs, hem, and pockets. My only complaint is that it does pill a bit. I'd love a Drakes cashmere one, but they're priced beyond my comfort zone.

Some have said Johnstons of Elgin makes the Armoury/Drakes ones, and they sell one for a bit cheaper than the ArmouryDrakes, but the specs may be a bit different. You might also look for a good vintage one. I have one by Peconic Bay Traders that I really like, but the collar doesn't lay flat. @dieworkwear would have some good recommmendations.

Edit, not much on his blog, except a rec for Club Monaco ones. Ebay has some, like this one.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Northern Watters is one of your better options. There's also the recently revived McGeorge label, which used to be a good Scottish knitwear company, but now is just another one of those foreign-owned labels that trades on the company's Scottish heritage in name only. Current day McGeorge is owned by an Italian company. There's a seller on eBay (sarafsaraf) who sells offseason stock for about a third of the retail price. The shawl collar cardigan is $150. Quality is ... OK. Not worth what they wanted retail, but not bad for current eBay prices.

Or you can try any number of preppy RTW brands. Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, Club Monaco, Gant, J. Crew, and Land's End has stocked them in the past. No idea what they have this season though. Another one that has been mentioned on boards before is Black Sheep Knitwear, but frankly, I don't think it looks very good.

The problem with ones that cost under $400 is that the shawl collar itself can be a bit thin, so it lays flat. The thing that makes the S&C, Armoury, and other high-end pieces nice is that the collar is thick, so there's some volume to it. It just makes the collar line look better, but I assume with all the multipliers throughout the manufacturing chain, that extra material is probably how you end up at a $400 price point.

@emptym Armoury's isn't made by Johnstons FWIW.

emptym

Reaction score

La Fin Du Monde

Reaction score
Northern Watters is one of your better options. There's also the recently revived McGeorge label, which used to be a good Scottish knitwear company, but now is just another one of those foreign-owned labels that trades on the company's Scottish heritage in name only. Current day McGeorge is owned by an Italian company. There's a seller on eBay (sarafsaraf) who sells offseason stock for about a third of the retail price. The shawl collar cardigan is $150. Quality is ... OK. Not worth what they wanted retail, but not bad for current eBay prices.

Or you can try any number of preppy RTW brands. Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, Club Monaco, Gant, J. Crew, and Land's End has stocked them in the past. No idea what they have this season though. Another one that has been mentioned on boards before is Black Sheep Knitwear, but frankly, I don't think it looks very good.

The problem with ones that cost under $400 is that the shawl collar itself can be a bit thin, so it lays flat. The thing that makes the S&C, Armoury, and other high-end pieces nice is that the collar is thick, so there's some volume to it. It just makes the collar line look better, but I assume with all the multipliers throughout the manufacturing chain, that extra material is probably how you end up at a $400 price point.

@emptym Armoury's isn't made by Johnstons FWIW.
@dieworkwear If you could rate the top three to five brands, what would you recommend?

I just joined and would appreciate your thoughts.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Check out Hackett as well, they sometimes have really nifty and bery British sc cardigans (bought a double breasted one a few years back, that I really love and that is elegant enough even for business wear). They ain't cheap either, but if you get them at sales prices the value for money is good.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear If you could rate the top three to five brands, what would you recommend?

I just joined and would appreciate your thoughts.

William Lockie and Scott & Charters are my favorites, and they make for other brands, but they fit very differently from each other. Largely depends on what you want. I don't know if you can really rate them like that.

La Fin Du Monde

Reaction score
William Lockie and Scott & Charters are my favorites, and they make for other brands, but they fit very differently from each other. Largely depends on what you want. I don't know if you can really rate them like that.

Yeah, I have encountered this before. What the brand and the manufacturer don't always correlate, thus the quality of garments vary.

I appreciate it. I was just interested in getting some solid recommendations.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, I have encountered this before. What the brand and the manufacturer don't always correlate, thus the quality of garments vary.

I appreciate it. I was just interested in getting some solid recommendations.

Sorry, I don't mean that the brand and the manufacturer differ. I mean S&C-made cardigans fit and look differently from William Lockie-made ones. Which you prefer is a matter of preference.

La Fin Du Monde

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't mean that the brand and the manufacturer differ. I mean S&C-made cardigans fit and look differently from William Lockie-made ones. Which you prefer is a matter of preference.

Thanks, that's a helpful clarification. On average - what have you noticed about the fit and look between the two?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, that's a helpful clarification. On average - what have you noticed about the fit and look between the two?

The S&C has an elongated silhouette. It's a little longer and the collar drapes like a fat roll.

The WL has a slightly rounder silhouette. It's shorter and the collar is wider. Collar also sits closer to the body, doesn't fall like a big roll.

If you Google around, you can find images. The WL is easier to wear. It's what most people think of when they think of a chunky shawl collar cardigan. The S&C fits a bit more like outerwear. I like both.

La Fin Du Monde

Reaction score
The S&C has an elongated silhouette. It's a little longer and the collar drapes like a fat roll.

The WL has a slightly rounder silhouette. It's shorter and the collar is wider. Collar also sits closer to the body, doesn't fall like a big roll.

If you Google around, you can find images. The WL is easier to wear. It's what most people think of when they think of a chunky shawl collar cardigan. The S&C fits a bit more like outerwear. I like both.

Wonderful distinctions.

Thank you good sir.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads