• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl collar cardigan recommendations

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
can the sleeve width of the Lockie/Drake's cardigan altered to be made narrower? it' the only thing holding me back from purchasing.
Our tailor has altered (taken in) sweaters for us no problem.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
Where is everyone buying their William Lockie shawl cardigans from? Also, I’m 5’8 and 140lbs, will tHe size 38 work for me? Or will I need a 36 and be stuck buying it from drakes?

Last edited:

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Where is everyone buying their William Lockie shawl cardigans from? Also, I’m 5’8 and 140lbs, will tHe size 38 work for me? Or will I need a 36 and be stuck buying it from drakes?
Do you wear a size 36 jacket or 34? If 36 then the 38 should work for you.

vicunaman

Reaction score
Northern Watters is one of your better options. There's also the recently revived McGeorge label, which used to be a good Scottish knitwear company, but now is just another one of those foreign-owned labels that trades on the company's Scottish heritage in name only. Current day McGeorge is owned by an Italian company. There's a seller on eBay (sarafsaraf) who sells offseason stock for about a third of the retail price. The shawl collar cardigan is $150. Quality is ... OK. Not worth what they wanted retail, but not bad for current eBay prices.

Or you can try any number of preppy RTW brands. Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, Club Monaco, Gant, J. Crew, and Land's End has stocked them in the past. No idea what they have this season though. Another one that has been mentioned on boards before is Black Sheep Knitwear, but frankly, I don't think it looks very good.

The problem with ones that cost under $400 is that the shawl collar itself can be a bit thin, so it lays flat. The thing that makes the S&C, Armoury, and other high-end pieces nice is that the collar is thick, so there's some volume to it. It just makes the collar line look better, but I assume with all the multipliers throughout the manufacturing chain, that extra material is probably how you end up at a $400 price point.
McGeorge used to make the shawl collar cardigan in 8 ply cashmere
@emptym Armoury's isn't made by Johnstons FWIW.

vicunaman

Reaction score
I& D McGeorge, Dumphries made a beautiful 8 ply cashmere cardigan..Kuhnert was the US agent

Spex

Reaction score
If anyone is still looking for options, Spier & Mackay just dropped their version yesterday:

(...although as a Canadian I'd still back the domestically made Northern Watters esp their VC7 cardigan. I think it looks great in the photos).

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
North Sea Clothing is another option. I actually own this one and it's very dense and very warm.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That North Sea is nice looking. I already own the Dehen 1920 shawl collar sweater-jacket, as well as a Cordings shawl so I'm not in the market, but I do also like the look of the North Sea Submariner turtleneck.

Jlord

Reaction score
The North Sea Submariner is an intense bit of knitwear.
Definitely most suitable for the outdoors or interiors no longer benefiting from central heating.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The North Sea Submariner is an intense bit of knitwear.
Definitely most suitable for the outdoors or interiors no longer benefiting from central heating.
That’s my only reservation. Living in Northern California, but not San Francisco, I have few occasions to wear a sweater like this. I’d be interested in picking one up on the secondary market (preferably new) but don’t really see these on the B&S forum. Do these go on sale at end of season every year?

Jlord

Reaction score
That’s my only reservation. Living in Northern California, but not San Francisco, I have few occasions to wear a sweater like this. I’d be interested in picking one up on the secondary market (preferably new) but don’t really see these on the B&S forum. Do these go on sale at end of season every year?
He occasionally puts them on sale, though not with a regular schedule that I've recognized.
I've picked up two of his knits second hand from Ebay. Both at a considerable discount, and due to the quality with very little signs of wear.

Jlord

Reaction score
Just wanted to add in the following brand for consideration.

I've managed to get a hold of one. It's knit by Scott & Charters with Z.Hinchcliffe wool (just as from NMWA) but from a lighter yarn. It's plush whilst remaining fairly light. Cut slimmer and shorter for a "modern silhouette" it's lovely to wear. But ff you're looking for something super luxurious and indulgent it's not quite at the level of it's competitors.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could not resist diving into the North Sea. I picked up the Expedition Cartigan and am *very* impressed. We shall see how often I have a chance to wear it but it feels truly like a piece of "lifetime" clothing. Considerable money, but considerably well spent if I get sufficient use out of it. I expect I may sell my Dehen 1920 (unworn) as I like the fit of the North Sea better.

I also picked up the Submariner but think I may prefer the Diver due to the drop shoulder on the Sub. The high waist style of these sweaters are an encouragement to stay slim. There's a natural tension here with bitter cold weather being the only time you can wear these, and my fondness for dark beer, braised meats, and scotch by the fire when it's chilly.

Despite having overdone it on "heavy" sweaters (a favorite being an SNS Hering the weighs in at several lbs.), based on my initial purchase I'm a fan of North Sea and offer a hearty endorsement (albeit with no wear time yet).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
North Sea Clothing is another option. I actually own this one and it's very dense and very warm.

tts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads