• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shawl Collar Cardigan … advice sought, please?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a Lockie shawl collar cardigan (lambswool), which has held up well. I think I bought it about six or seven years ago.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree with this statement. My camelhair cardigan is definitely softer than my lambswool ones

i'm referring to general robustness of wear , yes camelhair can be softer than lambswool . nor is it fragile the stuff has been made into floor coverings since forever ( still is ) . camelhair refers to a specific breed ( or maybe it's a species not sure ) and is sorted right off of the critter as it's collected , not shorn . there is quite a spectrum of fineness and coarseness in camelhair , even discounting the guard hairs .

ch will have a significantly longer staple length and , i have found in general , more integrity of yarn and fabric ( we're talking knits here) than lambswool . incidentally , i don't consider pilling a defect but a good staple length and a combed prep is a good bet for those who are looking to avoid .

lambswool is something of a hodgepodge term insofar as it doesn't refer to a specific breed ( it refers to first-year , first-shear ) and is often processed as unsorted , but some shops do pedigree their lambswool .

i've personally knitted quite a bit of stuff up with camelhair ( in blends typically ), simply because it makes up really well and is worth the time and effort , i've found it to wear durably yet next-to-skin soft . lambswool in my opinion is reliably soft but makes a not-great semi-worsted yarn imho . maybe if i saw it in a true woolen spun or something that i might reconsider .

worth noting most yarns are processed as worsted or semi-worsted ( true woolen spun is rare to see these days ), it could be that i just find fault with how lambswool is processed for knitting yarn and find that those processes favor ch which is much more hairlike and amenable to the typical modern processes . lamb is delicious tho .

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I ordered a William Lockie shawl cardigan from Baltzar. I’m interested to see how it compares to offerings from the standard brands - Brooks Bros, J. Crew, etc. Based on the reviews, I think I’ll be happy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads