• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shaving sans cream

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
last night i shaved in the shower without any shaving cream/foam/oil/ or soap. nada. zilch. just water on my face and the blade to my skin. i shaved just as close as i normally do and without any irritation. i nicked myself once on a pimple.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
congratulations?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you.
satisfied.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I hardly ever use anything but water when shaving. I think I've had the same can of barbasol shaving cream sitting in my bathroom since sophomore year of high school.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I hardly ever use anything but water when shaving. I think I've had the same can of barbasol shaving cream sitting in my bathroom since sophomore year of high school.

Congratulations on being Asian.

If I shave without cream, my face gets as red as TS is after one shot of beer.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Congratulations on being Asian.

If I shave without cream, my face gets as red as TS is after one shot of beer.

Ah, but at least a third of my facial hair is course, curly, red, and Irish.

And it takes more than a shot of beer. It generally takes about 3/4 of a pint.

Bastard.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In retrospect, I don't even remember you having anything to drink at all that time I was up in Seattle. Really, that was quite rude of you to leave me hanging as I was downing three drinks. Shame on you, Slim, shame.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
In retrospect, I don't even remember you having anything to drink at all that time I was up in Seattle. Really, that was quite rude of you to leave me hanging as I was downing three drinks. Shame on you, Slim, shame.

Dammit, I'm like the only high post count person left who hasn't partied with j and Slim.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Dammit, I'm like the only high post count person left who hasn't partied with j and Slim.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I haven't partied with Jon either. Or Steve.

MrRogers

Reaction score
I don't understand shaving w/o cream or oil. Is it to save the 10$ a month on supplies or a display of masculinity?

I use AOS oil/brushed cream/ and aftershave lotion everyday. I suppose I could shave dry, but whats the point??

MrR

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's just generally unneccesary for some people. I don't think there's anything inherently more manly about not using shaving cream. Unless you shave with a knife like I do
smile.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recall reading a while back that hair conditioner can work as a substitute for shave cream

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I recall reading a while back that hair conditioner can work as a substitute for shave cream
Shaving cream , as far as I've been lead to believe, serves two main functional purposes, to lubricate the skin, so that a blade can pass smoothly along it, and to wet the hairs so that they swell and can be cut easier. Shaving creams lubricate the skin, but most will also strip away many of the oils that help your skin retain moisture, thus increasing your dependance on shaving cream to lubricate. If you use shaving oil instead of shaving cream, after a while, you should be perfectly capable of running a gilette mach 3 along your wet face without cutting yourself or irritating the skin at all. Wetting the hairs so that they are eaier to cut is not difficult, in fact, if you shave right after a shower, your hairs are already fully moistened. As far as lubricating the skin, I find it relatively unneccesary, water seems to work just fine for me, but understandibly if you find yourself needing more, try baby or olive oil for an inexpensive shave. You need very little of it. I'm not saying that its not an aesthetically pleasing and relaxing ritual for many people, but I prefer to put some water on my face, wet the head of my razor, and shave in about 20 seconds.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrRogers
I don't understand shaving w/o cream or oil. Is it to save the 10$ a month on supplies or a display of masculinity?

I use AOS oil/brushed cream/ and aftershave lotion everyday. I suppose I could shave dry, but whats the point??

MrR

i was in a hurry or too lazy to apply the cream. after a couple of strokes i realized that i was perfectly comfortable without it. if you don't need it, why use it? give it a try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads