1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Shaving razors and products

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by k4lnamja, Nov 5, 2012.

1. zissou

zissou Senior member

Merkur razors are in Myhabit today. Although, I greatly prefer my old Gillette adjustable razor.

I recently switched from Derby to Personna blades and am getting a much nicer shave.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

B&B? Did I know this already? Has shaving amnesia set in?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  3. suited

suited Senior member

I used to use a Merkur, but the additional time it takes to shave in that manner wasn't a good trade off, for me at least. Maybe I wasn't practiced enough. It can be enjoyable to apply cream with a brush and shave with a DE razor, but I found it to be time consuming.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  4. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

Love my Merkur razor. I use a Feather blade. I've tried a bunch of different razor blade brands, but I've found Feather is very, very good. As far as time is concerned, it is slightly more time consuming because I use a badger hair brush and the likes instead of dispensing from a can, but I've got my shave down to a few minutes and am usually nick free. However, I've been using a safety razor for a couple of years and there definitely is a learning curve.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

SMF. I think I was in the first batch of members. Its a long time now, so I don't really remember the specifics. There was a Canadian skincare shopping site (men essentials???) that had a forum and I was a part of that. Then I moved over to SMF when that died.

I need some new DE blades. Tried Derby, Feather, and a few others. Any recommendations?

6. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

You don't like Feather or Derby? Maybe try Merkur? http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Razor-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades/dp/B000JPMHWK

(I haven't tried them)

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

8. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

really? It takes me about 3 minutes, although I only do one pass. I don't believe in the whole 3-pass super smooth shave. For me it was mainly about improving my skin, as it's always been very sensitive.

I also don't really understand the people on those forums that have more than 1 razor, brush, soap or cream etc.

Although my shaves are much more enjoyable and less daunting now that I have confidence that I won't get ingrown hairs and razor burn, it's still a chore, so I don't get the people that think shaving is some type of luxury experience.

9. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I also don't take much longer to shave with my new Merkur (Christmas gift) than with the Fusion I was using before. The shave is superior; the blades are less expensive, and I have much more control. I do, however, understand the luxury experience. That's also why I get a shave at the barber a couple of times per year.

1 person likes this.
  10. dream34

dream34 Member

Never underestimate the importance of a good brush, personally I have a Simpsons Chubby (Anniversary gift from the wife) I have been using for a few weeks now and I have noticed a difference in how easily my cream lathers, the quality of the lather and the softness of the hair/stubble when I shave. I have also used a good number of the English creams and found all to be comparable in terms of lather and effectiveness. In my case it boiled down to scent and I prefer the Taylor Sandalwood, for whatever reason it reminds me of father, grandfather, and trips to the old barber shops when I was a child. So far as the blades go I found I prefer the Mekur blades, but I'm an against the grain shaver who shaves daily, unless I'm spending a week/weekend at the family ranch.

11. Oksu

Oksu Member

Having a good brush is absolutely essential to building a lather. You will definitely want a badger hair brush, and although the difference between each "grade" of badger hair (silvertip, best, etc.) is not super, super pronounced, there is a difference. I personally use a Best Badger brush by Edwin Jagger.

My cream of choice is TOOBS Jermyn Street, although I also like their Rose scented cream a lot. Jermyn Street, for whatever reason, builds the best lather for me.

I greatly prefer Feather blades. They're very thin and very sharp, and I've found are only at their best for your first 2-3 shaves, but they're the best in the game. I also use, and have no problem endorsing, Derbys.

12. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Hello, gents. I am working my way through my first set of Merkel blades, and have two packages of Gillette Platinum to use afterward (all part of a kit I received for Christmas, with my razor). According to the sales rep at AoS, where my parents bought the stuff, the Gillette blades are more like a straight razor (I guess less flexible?) and therefore require a bit more skill to use. Is this good advice, generally speaking? And, should I have any problem progressing to the Gillette blades? I was going just fine at first, but as I get more used to the razor, I am being a little more cavalier, which has led to cutting myself a couple of times in my last few shaves. If I'm still doing that every so often by the end of this package of blades, should I get another pack of the same Merkels, before moving to the others? Is there another blade that might be better? The times I've cut myself have all been my own error - either by getting careless with the razor, or by not realizing the blade was past its pull date. I'm also not using a brush yet - fully plan to, as soon as I can afford to get a decent one.

13. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

FYI:

Barbasol on sale at CVS- 2 for $3.00

Cheers

14. Shoeliker

Shoeliker Well-Known Member

I wanted to get a good DE shaving set for my son-in-law's upcoming birthday. After some research I went to the Edwin Jagger's website. One of Jagger's recommended U.S. stockists is Lee's Razors. I contacted Lee and ordered a shaving set for my son-in-law. Of course, I don't have the products yet, but I couldn't be happier with the service I received. In this day and age, we get used to dealing with phone sales people who know nothing, can't make informed decisions about what product would best serve your needs, or who can't solve problems. So far, Lee gets an A+ on the first two points. There haven't been any problems, so I can't, and hopefully won't, have to learn about that, but I am very impressed with Lee's Razors so far! :D

15. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Lee's is great, some other great vendors include West Coast shaving, Vintage Blades and Bull Goose.

16. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

That's a perfectly normal part of the learning curve. You'll adjust soon and the bloodletting will abate. :)

I started using a straight razor about 15 years ago and went through a similar phase, as do many people at the Straight Razor Forum. Now I can't even remember how many years ago it was the last time I nicked myself.

17. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Get a cheap one for the time being. Using one will give you a much better idea of what you'll want to look for when you get a proper one.

18. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Does anyone have a good resource for someone that's interested in giving this a go?

19. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

Badger & Blade

20. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Thanks! I'll give it a go soon.