• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving Problems

Singlemalt

Reaction score
DE razors (safety razors) are truly fantastic. I've been using an extremely cheap wilkinson one for the last little while with great effects. I've noticed the following to really help with shaving.

1. Shave after showers while the hairs are still wet.
2. I like thick lather/soap/cream, helps for me.
3. Shave slowly, paying attention to keeping the blade perpendicular to your pull.
4. Shave lightly (with a light touch)

And I also strongly encourage seeing a dermatologist or barber (maybe first a barber). You could ask him for solutions first or get an experimental shave first and see if you get the same problems after a pro takes a shot at your face (beard).

This is the Wilkinson, super cheap. I'm currently upgrading, but still fairly happy with this one.

stefanl

Reaction score
I've also had problems with irritated skin, particularly in the neck area. I found since I switched to a safety razor, all irritation stopped. I shave every second/third day.

I always shave after showering, since the facial hair and skin is much softer then. Before stepping into the shower I quickly boil half a litre of water in an electrical kettle, takes about a minute. I then pour the water in a small porceline container and let my badger brush soak in the boiling hot water while I shower. I also pour some boiling water in my shaving soap. I use this soap and find it fantastic: (This makes the badger brush very warm and having some warm water in the soap helps building a great lather).
http://www.gents.se/truefitt-hill-luxury-shaving-soap-wooden-bowl
I buy merkur razor blades and change the blade every 5-6 shaves. They are dirt cheap, like less then a dollar a blade cheap, and they are much sharper then Gilette blades.

During shower I exfoliate and wash my face as usual. I then shave pretty much like this guy does here. The video is well worth watching:

After shaving, I wet my face several times in as cold water as you can possibly get from your tap for about 30 seconds. This will close your pores and help with irritation. Wipe my face with towel, apply shaving balm, and use some cologne.

The whole ritual excluding showering takes about 10 minutes and it's well worth it. Being able to shave against the grain without any irritation is worth it alone :)

hoozah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the best shaves I get are when I let my facial hair grow for a few days then shave in the shower without lather. Just use hot water and a good razer.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, I start to have skin issues if I try and shave every day. I find it hard on my face. Currently, my routine is every other day. This has been working well and sometimes I skip one more day over the weekends to give my face a an extra rest.

MrSterling

Reaction score
DE razors (safety razors) are truly fantastic. I've been using an extremely cheap wilkinson one for the last little while with great effects. I've noticed the following to really help with shaving.

1. Shave after showers while the hairs are still wet.
2. I like thick lather/soap/cream, helps for me.
3. Shave slowly, paying attention to keeping the blade perpendicular to your pull.
4. Shave lightly (with a light touch)

And I also strongly encourage seeing a dermatologist or barber (maybe first a barber). You could ask him for solutions first or get an experimental shave first and see if you get the same problems after a pro takes a shot at your face (beard).

This is the Wilkinson, super cheap. I'm currently upgrading, but still fairly happy with this one.
Thank you for the advice, both my parents are doctors but maybe I should see a dermatologist.
Here we don't have barbers who shave etc.

I never saw DE razors like that here in shops, it would be easier if I can start with something similar.

I've also had problems with irritated skin, particularly in the neck area. I found since I switched to a safety razor, all irritation stopped. I shave every second/third day.

I always shave after showering, since the facial hair and skin is much softer then. Before stepping into the shower I quickly boil half a litre of water in an electrical kettle, takes about a minute. I then pour the water in a small porceline container and let my badger brush soak in the boiling hot water while I shower. I also pour some boiling water in my shaving soap. I use this soap and find it fantastic: (This makes the badger brush very warm and having some warm water in the soap helps building a great lather).
http://www.gents.se/truefitt-hill-luxury-shaving-soap-wooden-bowl
I buy merkur razor blades and change the blade every 5-6 shaves. They are dirt cheap, like less then a dollar a blade cheap, and they are much sharper then Gilette blades.

During shower I exfoliate and wash my face as usual. I then shave pretty much like this guy does here. The video is well worth watching:

After shaving, I wet my face several times in as cold water as you can possibly get from your tap for about 30 seconds. This will close your pores and help with irritation. Wipe my face with towel, apply shaving balm, and use some cologne.

The whole ritual excluding showering takes about 10 minutes and it's well worth it. Being able to shave against the grain without any irritation is worth it alone :)

That sounds promising, I really want to try it now.
Also, Gilette shaving foam/cream is horrible, as is De Vergulde hand. Of normal store bought shaving creams i tried (in The Netherlands) I like Nivea shaving gel for a sensitive skin the best.
http://www.nivea.nl/producten/Mannenverzorging/sensitive/Sensitive-scheergel
I'm sure there is better out there, but not in 't Kruidvat.
Also dutch right!
Well, most of my products now are also nivea and they are pretty good, I'll probably start with one from nivea. But not a gel, I want to use a brush.

MrSterling

Reaction score
And how long did it last untill you guys could shave well, and did you cut yourself a lot?

Reaction score
You may need a mild shaver like a vintage Gillette blue tip super speed. See if the guys at razoremporium.com have any or ask them if they can recommend any other shavers or pre/post creams that will help you with your shave.

I switched to using DE razors and a badger brush about two years ago. Shaving is fun now and I get such better shaves now too!

bmathe02

Reaction score
Razor emporium does not have favorable reviews on the shaving forums.

stefanl

Reaction score
And how long did it last untill you guys could shave well, and did you cut yourself a lot?

I cut myself mabye a handful of times in the first couple of weeks, since then, I very rarely cut myself unless I'm in a rush. If I do cut myself I use a styptic pencil and cold water, which stops the bleeding pretty instantly and seals the cut. It takes about a couple of months to really get the hang of it. If you search youtube there's videos of more advanced techniques one can use when using a safety-razor. Then there's all the different ways to form the lather, and which consistency the lather should have. Some use pre-shave oils before they apply the lather, some don't.

You should just invest in a good razor, some shaving soap, a brush, good aftershave and moisturizer and learn and try new stuff along the road. I've been doing it for a couple of years now, learning more all the time, and there's just no way I would go back to 4/5 blade gilettes. Now I'm getting more and more curious to try a straight razor/knife. :)

jase0007

Reaction score
I went through the same problems for years.. Tried Creams, lotions, potions, pills, just name it and I tried it !!!
The solution was in the end simple !!! You need to make sure that the shave is not too close and your shaver helps to dislodge stubborn hairs as you shave.

The little shaver above does just that. I have been using it for years - It's wonderful !!! Try it you will be amazed at the result..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics