• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving Problems

MrSterling

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, I've been looking around for a while but finally decided to make an account.
I'm 17 y/o (18 within 2 weeks :) ) and I come from Belgium. Therefore my apologies for my lack of english voc & grammar!

Please take your time to read this because i am having this troubles for so so long.

I've been having problems with shaving for quite some time. For my age I already have a rather strong beard. But let's start with the beginning so you guys have an idea of everything i've already tried.

So i guess it starts at 14 years, when boys start shaving their downy moustache. I started with a electric shaver of Braun. Well, in the beginning that worked, but after some time (1,5 years?) when my hairs started growing on my neck and cheek the Braun wasn't doing his job anymore. I just couldn't get rid of the hairs.

Therefore I changed my electric shaver, I went to Philips. Why? Because braun has just 1 head that moves in one direction. I thought Philips would be better because they have three heads and you can move them in every direction.
But same story, again when my beard grew stronger this wasn't doing the job anymore, I can't get rid of all the hairs.

So that's the time I decided to go away from electric shavers and switch to Gilette.
My dad also shaves electric so he couldn't give me a proper introduction into shaving so I had to figure it all out myself.
Used the techniques i learned from the web.
But when I shave with a razor from Gilette I am really smooth but I have a lot of irritation. So I tried tons of products. Different balms, after-shaves and so on. I also switched from Mach3 to Fusion but that wasn't a solution either and I really want to get rid of the irritation because, be honest, it's ugly.

For the moment I changed back to the philips because the irritation was really bad with the Gilette razor, I had it in my neck and on my cheeks.
But now I also have irritation in my neck with the electric razor.

So how I shave right now, I let my beard stand for about a 5 days/ a week, and when it's really long I trim it and then shave it, then it's smooth and are all my hairs gone but I always want to be smooth!

So my main question is if I should change to a DE razor. It's almost my birthday so I could ask for something like this (http://www.manandshaving.nl/product/625/mühle_stylo_scheerset_zwart_chroom_klassiek_scheermes.aspx).
Is it worth the investment and will I be sure that this will help me?
I already read that you really need a month to get used to it, but after this time it should be very good.
Will i get rid of the irritation with a thin lather and a single blade?

Hoping to get some answers and thank you for reading this.

Again pardon my english!

sinfjotli

Reaction score
I switched to DE razor about a year ago, after using Mach 3 for about 3 years, and electric before that. I'd say that after few weeks, I was definitely getting better results than with Mach 3, and the whole shave just became much more pleasurable. Just make sure to shave WITH the grain if you are getting a lot of irritation.

The set you posted looks good, although if you can look around, you will find cheaper options, which are just as good. I am using Edwin Jagger DE89, which has the same head as the one you posted, just the handle is different, and it is only 20 GBP, so might be a good starting if you are not sure about DE yet.

A great resource and a forum is here: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Interactive_Guide_to_DE_Razor_Shaving

MrSterling

Reaction score
I switched to DE razor about a year ago, after using Mach 3 for about 3 years, and electric before that. I'd say that after few weeks, I was definitely getting better results than with Mach 3, and the whole shave just became much more pleasurable. Just make sure to shave WITH the grain if you are getting a lot of irritation.

The set you posted looks good, although if you can look around, you will find cheaper options, which are just as good. I am using Edwin Jagger DE89, which has the same head as the one you posted, just the handle is different, and it is only 20 GBP, so might be a good starting if you are not sure about DE yet.

A great resource and a forum is here: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Interactive_Guide_to_DE_Razor_Shaving

Thank you!

Shaving with the grain is the problem , my hair grows in different directions but I can only see it when my beard is longer. On my cheeks it makes a sort spiral, it's weard (but it's not as striking and ugly as it sounds) and that's why i blead there and have irritation when i shave. Also in my neck it grows in different directions.

And you are right, i better try a more cheaper set before buying the high-end ones.

I'll take a look on that forum!

bmathe02

Reaction score
As noted above look into badgerandblade.com for more information on DE shaving.

My suggestion is go for a cheaper muhle model for now. See if it helps in a month or so and then only buy the pricey one you mentioned. Your paying extra for the exotic handle. Muhle makes I belive 3 or so different heads only. Stay clear from muhle r41 2011 head as that is their most aggressive and would cause initial difficulties when you are just trying to figure out if DE is worth it.

MrSterling

Reaction score
As noted above look into badgerandblade.com for more information on DE shaving.
My suggestion is go for a cheaper muhle model for now. See if it helps in a month or so and then only buy the pricey one you mentioned. Your paying extra for the exotic handle. Muhle makes I belive 3 or so different heads only. Stay clear from muhle r41 2011 head as that is their most aggressive and would cause initial difficulties when you are just trying to figure out if DE is worth it.

Okay, I'll take my time reading it.

Are you also saying that DE shaving is better for a sensitive skin or probably better for me when I tried everything else?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Are you also saying that DE shaving is better for a sensitive skin or probably better for me when I tried everything else? 

Switching to DE is good for a number of reasons - partly because of the razor/blade, and partly for the extra care you tend to take when using one. A good soap/cream is essential and if your skin is sensitive you absolutely do not want to scrape the same area twice, at least not without new lather on it. Use a hot, damp towel to soften the beard beforehand and reduce the work the razor has to do.

Badgerandblade has plenty of good info and recommendations. Good luck.

Last edited:

bmathe02

Reaction score

Its great for sensitive skin since its only one blade passing your skin not 5. Less chance of irritation if you do it right. But plenty of people use 5 bladed razors and there skin feels fine. I personally have no skin irritation at all when using gillette's finest and newest but I prefer a de. When first learning de shaving I would get irritation and little weepers of blood. After I got the hang of it 2 months (perfection 1 year) smooth sailing thou I can never shave as fast as I did with cartridge shaving.

MrSterling

Reaction score
Its great for sensitive skin since its only one blade passing your skin not 5. Less chance of irritation if you do it right. But plenty of people use 5 bladed razors and there skin feels fine. I personally have no skin irritation at all when using gillette's finest and newest but I prefer a de. When first learning de shaving I would get irritation and little weepers of blood. After I got the hang of it 2 months (perfection 1 year) smooth sailing thou I can never shave as fast as I did with cartridge shaving.

I hope I will push through those 2 months because a part of my problem is that I tend to give up after a few miserable shaves because of frustration. (It's really no fun to walk around with the rash on your face.)

I also will have to take the time.

Now another question is: how often do I have to shave? Every day, every 2 days? The problem is that when I irritation and 2 days after the first shave I still have that irritation and when I shave over it it becomes worse and it bleeds a lot.

sinfjotli

Reaction score
If you don't have to shave every day (i.e., you are not required by your school or job) and you are bleeding or get irritation, give it a couple of days between shaves. I shave every day except weekends, and while my neck sometimes gets irritated, giving it a break for 2 days helps a lot.

Another good point is to use cold water when you wash your face after shaving. It helps cool down the irritation. Some people like to shave with cold water entirely (you still use hot water/shower before shaving, but when you wash your razor etc. you'd use cold), and they claim it helps fight the irritation, but I like the comfort of hot water shave :)

In the end, you have to experiment a bit to find what really works for your face, but it is definitely worth it.

MrSterling

Reaction score
If you don't have to shave every day (i.e., you are not required by your school or job) and you are bleeding or get irritation, give it a couple of days between shaves. I shave every day except weekends, and while my neck sometimes gets irritated, giving it a break for 2 days helps a lot.

Another good point is to use cold water when you wash your face after shaving. It helps cool down the irritation. Some people like to shave with cold water entirely (you still use hot water/shower before shaving, but when you wash your razor etc. you'd use cold), and they claim it helps fight the irritation, but I like the comfort of hot water shave :)

In the end, you have to experiment a bit to find what really works for your face, but it is definitely worth it.
Well that's what I'm doing now except I wait for like 5 days before I can shave properly but that is just too much. But 2 days would be fine.

That are things I already did, shave after taking a shower. Then with a hot towel soften my beard, then shave, and then adding a new "lather" (it's just shaving gel) after i softened it again with the hot water, and after the second shave I wash my face with cold water. Then wait for a minute and then apply after-shave or a balm anti-irritation. But those things aren't doing it.

Smudge

Reaction score
OP, I wonder if you are pressing the blade too firmly to your skin. When you "wet shave" as long ad the blade is nice and sharp / new, you hardly need to apply any pressure to the blade to cut the bristles. If you are bleeding, I suspect you are pressing too hard. Easy (and slowly) does it.
I also recommend having a look at the BadgerandBlade forum. Good luck!

sinfjotli

Reaction score
In that case, the best I can recommend is to ask a professional - a dermatologist or at least a barber, hopefully they should be able to help you.

GGsquared

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I had the same problem when I was your age, many years ago...

I found that preparation is very important. The night before apply a cream with glycolic acid (any AHA/BHA will do). Have a warm shower in the morning with a lot of steam and shave after.

I avoid shaving gels, creams, after shaves etc. I shave using a foamy facial cleanser with glycolic acid (again...). Then I apply a moisturising sunscreen.

MrSterling

Reaction score
OP, I wonder if you are pressing the blade too firmly to your skin. When you "wet shave" as long ad the blade is nice and sharp / new, you hardly need to apply any pressure to the blade to cut the bristles. If you are bleeding, I suspect you are pressing too hard. Easy (and slowly) does it.
I also recommend having a look at the BadgerandBlade forum. Good luck!

I did pay attention to this but indeed maybe not enough. With the de razor I think I have to press even less hard.
I had the same problem when I was your age, many years ago...

I found that preparation is very important. The night before apply a cream with glycolic acid (any AHA/BHA will do). Have a warm shower in the morning with a lot of steam and shave after.

I avoid shaving gels, creams, after shaves etc. I shave using a foamy facial cleanser with glycolic acid (again...). Then I apply a moisturising sunscreen.
I'll search for a product with glycolic acid can you find it anywhere or do you have to go to a drug store?

GGsquared

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cosmetic products have low concentrations (typically less than 2%) and therefore low efficiency. For higher concentrations go to a pharmacy, or buy online. There are many brands - I use the Neostrata products. They have different strengths from 8% to 18%. Start from the lowest to avoid irritation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads