Shaving Cream Question

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by ClassyGuy1, Jul 30, 2009.

1. ClassyGuy1

ClassyGuy1 Well-Known Member

I currently use a Gillette Fusion Power Razor with Gillette Fusion Shaving Gel (found at any grocery/drug store) or sometimes use Barbasol (Yes, the $1 a can stuff). I have always been interested in using a bit of a high end shaving "cream", but the only shaving "cream" that I've used was a brand called Alba and it didn't lather like the Gillette or Barbasol or Edge or anything lathers and foams. Are there any shaving "creams" that lather just like a can of Edge (If so, can you reccomend one) or are they all going to be the consistency of body wash?

2. fdbaker

fdbaker Senior member

Use this http://www.amazon.com/Art-Shaving-Pr...8971873&sr=8-2 followed by this http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-of-Sha...8971933&sr=8-3. It is expensive, but I've never used anything (and I've tried a lot) that's given me a closer, more comfortable shave.

I currently use a Gillette Fusion Power Razor with Gillette Fusion Shaving Gel (found at any grocery/drug store) or sometimes use Barbasol (Yes, the $1 a can stuff). I have always been interested in using a bit of a high end shaving "cream", but the only shaving "cream" that I've used was a brand called Alba and it didn't lather like the Gillette or Barbasol or Edge or anything lathers and foams. Are there any shaving "creams" that lather just like a can of Edge (If so, can you reccomend one) or are they all going to be the consistency of body wash?

3. wetshaver

wetshaver Active Member

If you really would like to explore completely different 'universe' (and not only high-end traditional shaving creams), then try to take a closer look at "Reviews - Badger & Blade".

You shouldn't be disappointed.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Enjoy.

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

They will lather, but you'll need a brush to whip them up with some water. Brands I use include:

Proaso,
    Salter's
    Trumpers
    Truefitt & Hill
    Prep
    WARS
    Art of Shaving

You'll have to search for them, none are widely available but most can be found on-line.

Then there are the artisan lines:

St. Charles Shave
    The Gentleman's Quarter
    Mama Bear

And then there are the soaps

etc. etc. etc.

5. thebarber

thebarber Member

6. Salon Clearwater

Salon Clearwater New Member

I used Gillette Foamy shaving cream. I don't try any other brands of shaving cream.

7. Rex_Tremende

Rex_Tremende New Member

You don't need a lather for a good shave, just a good lubricant for the blade. I heard it explained once that lather is mostly air, and air is a poor lubricant. I tried shaving oils a few times, but didn't like the effect of those on my sink. I settled on- and now order Ahava Foam Free Silk Shave (and the shower gel) by the box online.

Regards,
    Rex.