• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving Cream on Shoes

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont laugh at me too bad - I just bought a new baseball glove. and as I was heading back to being 11 and my dad and I 'breaking in the glove' I remember that his method of choice was plain old Barbasol. So I went and bought some, and among my errands today I picked up a pair of florshiem captoes that were in terrible shape from goodwill for 2.50. Since I had nothing to lose - I used the cream to clean the shoes before polishing them. It looked phenomenal - I wish I had taken pictures.

Any thoughts on doing this?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

- B

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still put Barbasol on my ball gloves, but I don't think I'd put it on shoes.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read (in a book) that shaving cream is a good way to strip off layers of shoe polish accumulated over years of polishing, probably because of the alcohol, but that it won't be too harsh on the leather.

--Andre

khaki sack

Reaction score
Go for it. And post photos.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive got some old shoes layin around...new project?!

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have also used Barbisol as a leather softener on sporting equipment. It has never ruined any of that leather. However, with the large amount of commercial leather conditioners and neutral polishes available, I would not save $7.50 at the risk of ruining a pair of EG's. With the thrift-store florsheims...you'll find out if it's safe without negating the savings. let us know.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder what it is about barbasol??

Well - I didnt get pictures cause i didnt think of it. However, the shoes were dirty dry creased slightly, and after just the cream they looked great, and took polish to the point of being decidedly wearable. I guess the effect is more of what its like to use saddle soap?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics