• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaving chest hair?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a matter-of-opinion question for you all...

What is your opinion on shaving chest hair? My girlfriend has been pressing me about this for a long time, and I think that it would be a nice valentine's day present. The only reason I haven't is because I kind of like it; preserves some masculinity.

I am not covered in hair like a bear or anything; I just have a large area on my upper chest and some on my stomach.

I was planning on using my electric razor (its waterproof) and shaving cream. Any special techniques?

Thanks guys.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
For our brethren who are covered like a 70s shag carpet, I think it's a pretty good idea to shave.  At the least, they should do major trimming periodically.

It doesn't sound like you need to keep up the shaving after this one instance (unless, of course, you decide you like the look).  My opinion, there's nothing wrong with shaving -- except for the dreaded thicker, blacker hair growing back.  If I were in your situation, I'd shave it as a nice surprise for the girl.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For our brethren who are covered like a 70s shag carpet, I think it's a pretty good idea to shave.  At the least, they should do major trimming periodically.

It doesn't sound like you need to keep up the shaving after this one instance (unless, of course, you decide you like the look).  My opinion, there's nothing wrong with shaving -- except for the dreaded thicker, blacker hair growing back.  If I were in your situation, I'd shave it as a nice surprise for the girl.
Is the hair going to grow back?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got out of the shower....

Figured "what the hell" and went for it.

Not only do I have the body of a 12-year-old again, I am all red and irritated from never having shaved there. Oh well. It certainly does help muscle definition though, no complaints there.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, I just had a realization... Did I just take one big leap towards "metrosexual"? I hope not
confused.gif

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugghhh man.... I can't believe you just did this, haha. Just wait till you put on a shirt, for the next few days it's going to be itchy as hell.

I did this once, and afterwards I was convinced it was the worst decision EVER. I can't believe you did it for some chick... A litttle chest hair is manley.

What did you ask your girl to do in return?

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your chest has never been shaved before so it's going to have some irritation the first time - it will go away; there is a line called brave soldier that makes a shave gel and a product called code blue which have been recommended to help with body shaving and post shaving irritation

you can also moisturize as well to help

when the hairs start to grow back in, it will itch like a motherf'er but it will subside and no they will not grow back in any different than before or faster

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugghhh man.... I can't believe you just did this, haha. Just wait till you put on a shirt, for the next few days it's going to be itchy as hell.

I did this once, and afterwards I was convinced it was the worst decision EVER. I can't believe you did it for some chick... A litttle chest hair is manley.

What did you ask your girl to do in return?
I haven't asked my girl for anything in return....but that is a REALLY good point. Any suggestions?

I woke up this morning all itchy and uncomfortable....not looking forward to more of this.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
If there is a next time, use clippers (like from a home hair kit). You can choose whatever length you want and you'll leave a little hair left, so it won't itch as much.

High_Roller

Reaction score
I've shaved it. I didn't like it. Stubble came within two days and the itchy feeling wasn't pleasant. I did some waxing by myself in certain places where the hair was getting out of hand. Last Friday, I went in for the full chest/stomach/back waxing. Some irritation after the fact, but it's gone. The feeling now is much better. I wonder how long it's going to last.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Let us know how it goes, man. Hope your girlfriend likes it and that it doesn't itch too much.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Last Friday, I went in for the full chest/stomach/back waxing. Some irritation after the fact, but it's gone. The feeling now is much better. I wonder how long it's going to last.

High_Roller, I am really eager to get your experiences on having your back and chest waxed. I have thought about doing this for some time, but the wuss in me is afraid of the tremendous amount of pain that this would cause. Does it hurt, or do they give you some sort of medication to ease the pain?

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
from what i understand, take two painkillers about an hour before you go in for your waxing and you'll be in better shape

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding?? C'mon man... BTW, I would be interested to know how the whole thing turns out (haha) Â I think I am a little to hairy to do this though- not in a gross way, more in the Tom Seleck sense (at least this is what I tell myself) Â I can't imagine shaving my chest while the rest of me is still covered in dark black hair. Â I guess it's really a case by case basis.
I'm pretty damn disapointed about this whole thing. She came to visit today, she liked it, but made fun of my pale-ish skin (even though I'm tanner than her.) and the fact that I missed a spot. What the hell.... Last time I do any nice things like that for her...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads