• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sharpened Metal, and other Every Day Carry Items

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caxt
My EDC is a SOG Flash II non-serrated.

And I hear what you're saying about college carry, I do it most of the time, but I also realize that if it somehow falls out or gets seen by some pansy I am going to be in hot water.

Unless they have it under school policy that you can't have a knife, you should be fine.

My walk 2 miles to school and back everyday so I pretty much necessitates it though.
Because you're going to shankin' a fool when he tries to jack yo ****, huh brah?
facepalm.gif

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Your college has an issue knives?

Just about every college campus I've ever been on had a no weapons policy.

Like a few others I carried everyday and never had a problem but it was still against campus policy.

caxt

Reaction score

Because you're going to shankin' a fool when he tries to jack yo ****, huh brah?
facepalm.gif

As opposed to what? Just handing him my wallet? Maybe I could also tell him where to find my car and apartment, would that be better?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As opposed to what? Just handing him my wallet? Maybe I could also tell him where to find my car and apartment, would that be better?

It would be better than pulling a knife on a mugger only to find that he's carrying a gun.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
It would be better than pulling a knife on a mugger only to find that he's carrying a gun.

+1 or even a knife.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As opposed to what? Just handing him my wallet?
You're out a wallet and whatever cash you have. Carry 12 bucks on you and a credit card and you'll just be out 12 bucks, a wallet, and the $5 to replace a driver's license. If you use a money clip in your front pocket, you're just out a wallet and the $5 to replace your DL.

Maybe I could also tell him where to find my car and apartment, would that be better?
Wicked straw man, bruh.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're out a wallet and whatever cash you have. Carry 12 bucks on you and a credit card and you'll just be out 12 bucks, a wallet, and the $5 to replace a driver's license. If you use a money clip in your front pocket, you're just out a wallet and the $5 to replace your DL.

Wicked straw man, bruh.

+1. winning a knife fight usually involves a dozen stitches. loosing a funeral.

caxt

Reaction score
Well, different philosophies I suppose.

-Agree to disagree then.

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Ha
Originally Posted by BP348
Just about every college campus I've ever been on had a no weapons policy.

Like a few others arried everyday and never had a problem but it was still against campus policy.

Ha my state is about to legalize concealed carry if guns on state schools and you can't even carry a knife.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, different philosophies I suppose.

-Agree to disagree then.

It's amazing that some people will actually go out of their way to try and figure out how they could make the mugger's job easier for him, rather than defending themselves.

"Well guys, if you just carry some cash in your front pocket you can hand it right over and make the mugger's transaction nice and easy"!

Muggers aren't the only people you might encounter while walking in a bad area. We had homeless drunks and teenagers from the area causing all kinds of trouble in the campus housing area. I'd much rather have a knife on me than nothing at all. It doesn't mean to have to pull it out on a mugger, but I'd rather have in case something went wrong.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
It's amazing that some people will actually go out of their way to try and figure out how they could make the mugger's job easier for him, rather than defending themselves. "Well guys, if you just carry some cash in your front pocket you can hand it right over and make the mugger's transaction nice and easy"! Muggers aren't the only people you might encounter while walking in a bad area. We had homeless drunks and teenagers from the area causing all kinds of trouble in the campus housing area. I'd much rather have a knife on me than nothing at all. It doesn't mean to have to pull it out on a mugger, but I'd rather have in case something went wrong.
You're trolling or a ******* moron. Ever been mugged? Ever been stabbed? Both suck, but getting mugged sucks a whole lot less and doesn't involved a ton of stitches or dying. You give your ****, back off, and then bolt. The money clip was actually to keep your cash. You toss your wallet that has a credit card, which is hassle free to deal with. Can't part with your wallet? That's an issue that you should probably get looked in to. Don't buy **** you can't part with. Homeless drunks aren't quick, and will normally get off your case if you back off, get out of their way, and let them get whatever sense of control they crave by scaring off the rich spoiled kid with a nice house, food and shower. Still not working? Run. Can't? Toss the wallet. Then, and only then would I worry about fighting my way out. That said, getting stabbed didn't have the same sort of immediate effect on me that getting clocked does. Ever cut yourself badly, only to notice it after you're covered in blood? Also, if he's that aggressive and drunk, a knife probably won't back him off either. He'll probably just pull his own. I'd bull charge and bolt if I was corned. You mention kids causing trouble. You really going to stab a guy who's getting in your face or calling you names? If you want something for self defense, carry a gun. If you want a convenient and useful tool, carry a knife. People need to learn to drop the ego and deescalate situations instead of perpetuating them.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh -- I dislike where this thread has gone.

I keep a Buck knife under my motorcycle seat, and a Leatherman multi-tool in my glove compartment. I am pleased to report that I use the waiter's pull I also keep in my glove compartment far more often than either.
oregonian_winesmiley.gif

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're trolling or a ******* moron. Ever been mugged? Ever been stabbed? Both suck, but getting mugged sucks a whole lot less and doesn't involved a ton of stitches or dying. You give your ****, back off, and then bolt. The money clip was actually to keep your cash. You toss your wallet that has a credit card, which is hassle free to deal with. Can't part with your wallet? That's an issue that you should probably get looked in to. Don't buy **** you can't part with.

Homeless drunks aren't quick, and will normally get off your case if you back off, get out of their way, and let them get whatever sense of control they crave by scaring off the rich spoiled kid with a nice house, food and shower. Still not working? Run. Can't? Toss the wallet. Then, and only then would I worry about fighting my way out. That said, getting stabbed didn't have the same sort of immediate effect on me that getting clocked does. Ever cut yourself badly, only to notice it after you're covered in blood? Also, if he's that aggressive and drunk, a knife probably won't back him off either. He'll probably just pull his own. I'd bull charge and bolt if I was corned.

You mention kids causing trouble. You really going to stab a guy who's getting in your face or calling you names?

If you want something for self defense, carry a gun. If you want a convenient and useful tool, carry a knife. People need to learn to drop the ego and deescalate situations instead of perpetuating them.

I do.

Your post starts off bad, then gets epic as you single handedly have somehow been able to predict the outcome of every single mugging/robbery that will ever happen, and has ever happened. Then you ask if I'm going to stab a guy that calls me a name. Classic. I'd offer up a rebuttal but I sincerely doubt you'd be able to process it, let alone learn anything from it. In an effort to not further derail this thread, I guess I'll take caxt's point and say that different people have different ways of seeing the world.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you guys stop this and start posting pictures of cool flashlights/pocket knives/multitools/keyhooks/lighters/mini pry bars/wallets/**** whistles/paracord bracelets/underwater titanium breathing straws/usb drives/weatherproof matches/diamond encrusted condom cases/lockpicking sets/tactical water bottles/compasses/smart phones/james bond style nail clippers/bottle openers/etc. that you carry in your pockets/bags again?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads