• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shark - James Woods

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone else seen the new show, Shark, with James Woods?

Have to say he should be added to the list of very well dressed television characters...

P.S. I tried to find the thread where we've discussed best-dressed film and tv characters before, but I couldn't seem to dig it up.

EDIT - just realized that he's not wearing a pocket square in this picture. He generally seems to wear one in the show, which was one of the first things I noticed and liked about the character.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a nice knot.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that he's generally well-dressed on the show. However, I often feel that the color choices - or lack thereof - are wrong. He wears too many gray-ish shirts and ties. The color combo makes him look washed out, imo.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at Anto Shirtmakers last week Thursday, and we started to talk about actors they dress (because a PA had just come in for some shirts for a TV show), and Shark came up. Apparently the producers had specified Armani for the show's clothing, but James Woods would have none of that, so for the 3rd show onward, he had Anto make the shirts, and someone else for the suit.

If anyone watches Studio 60, their costuming is very nice as well and character-appropriate. For example, the chairman character's jackets has the highest gorge I've seen on TV --- very Attolini-like --- and he dresses like how one might imagine a power-dressing, alpha-male executive type to dress.

--Andre

lawyerdad

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm struck by what apparently is this Hollywood conception that big-shot lawyers (or maybe just criminal defense lawyers?) dress monochromatically. Didn't David Duchovny often do the same sort of blue-tie-on-blue shirt thing on The Practice?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I'm struck by what apparently is this Hollywood conception that big-shot lawyers (or maybe just criminal defense lawyers?) dress monochromatically. Didn't David Duchovny often do the same sort of blue-tie-on-blue shirt thing on The Practice?

I think you mean Dylan McDermott, and my memory is that he did dress this way. I think the reasoning behind this is probably to give the attorney a bold, powerful look. Despite what we may think of the monochromatic look (personally, I think it shows a lack of imagination), it is a kind of "in your face" bold look from a color perspective. Coupled with a dark suit, it gives the character a look of power.

tsherry

Reaction score
Looks like he's wearing an Explorer. I will wear that watch or even a Submariner with an odd jacket, but never a suit. Once again, probably a costume guys' take on big city lawyer.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsherry
Looks like he's wearing an Explorer. I will wear that watch or even a Submariner with an odd jacket, but never a suit. Once again, probably a costume guys' take on big city lawyer.

Not that it matters, but it's a Daytona.

Sorry to drag this thread up, but I just watched the show last night and wanted to see if a thread on this one existed already before starting a new one. I think that he's dfinitely among tv's best dressed.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see that Jeri Ryan is in the cast of Shark. Most of the nation wouldn't know the name Barack Obama if it weren't for her.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe this pic is not representative in that the character usually also has a silk pocket square. And yes, the square, tie, and shirt are often overly similar for my tastes.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I see that Jeri Ryan is in the cast of Shark. Most of the nation wouldn't know the name Barack Obama if it weren't for her.
What's Jeri's Obama connection?

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
What's Jeri's Obama connection?

Her ex-hubby ran for senate as republican against Obama. The polls were a lot closer until she revealed how Hubby took her to sex clubs to watch people get their freak on. Didn't sell well to the voters and he got slaughtered during the election.

bryce330

Reaction score
Actually, Ryan's husband dropped out and the Republicans had to replace him with Alan Keyes. Ryan might have won had he stayed in.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40