• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shark Appreciation Thread

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good call on the last pic TS.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
267197580_487d14fadc.jpg

This is my next planned dive. Coco's Island, aka Jurassic Park, is said to have LOADS of hammerheads. Hopefully I'll get over there before the end of the year.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
This is my next planned dive. Coco's Island, aka Jurassic Park, is said to have LOADS of hammerheads. Hopefully I'll get over there before the end of the year.
Watch out for velociraptors dude. They know how to open doors, I bet they can SCUBA dive too!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Velociraptors? I'm far more worried about the spitters. Those bitches can swim!

Can they spit underwater? That would be quite talented.

Megalodon_diver.JPG

d111a.jpg

At an estimated length between 40-60 feet in length, weighing 52 tons, with teeth sometimes measuring around seven inches wide by six and a half inches tall:

168565cki7.jpg

megalodon_1336.jpg

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I once punched a shark in the face. It died instantly.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyto
Did anyone see the Shark Week special last night on the USS Indianapolis? According to that show, the current thinking is that silkies and oceanic white tips were the primary culprits, with blues possibly mixed in. Also, based on interviews of survivors, the vast majority of deaths appears to have been due to drinking saltwater (hallucinations and aggression), with only a (relatively) small number of attacks on healthy survivors--the number of corpses found with bites on them probably skewed perceptions of what actually happened. Many were likely severely injured or dead to begin with.

I saw the special. I thought it was reasonably well done, though I found some of the visuals a little confusing, and I also thought it was a bit repetitive (probably didn't need to be 2 hours long). I found the testimony of the actual survivors the most riveting, but I thought the actor who played the doctor was very good. I liked how they cut in the actual rescue footage near the end.

I believe they also mentioned mako sharks as potential culprits. I remember reading previously that most of the deaths related more to exposure and drinking saltwater than the sharks. The shark expert in the program stated that there wasn't a mass feeding frenzy like many people thought, but that the sharks acted as sharks normally do in the wild. They circled and, for the most part, attacked the dying and already dead. There was one scene where the doctor was swimming from one group of men to another, and a shark surfaced next to him and swam around him a bit before moving on. Perhaps the shark decided he was too healthy and wasn't worth the effort or risk to attack when there were other, easier pickings in the area.

I also found it interesting that some groups of survivors were constantly surrounded by sharks and had to fight them off, while other groups saw no sharks or only a few.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I thought the Indianapolis crew was attacked by tiger sharks? Though, admittedly, my source for this may well be Captain Quint.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, the Indianapolis was attacked by a variety of Pacific sharks. One of my father's friends, survived the incident.
ShowLetter-1.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Sorry, but that is not the South African Coast. It is the north tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. Unless SA built a replica. Whites are known to cruise Drake's Bay and the Farallons, but I've never heard of one coming through the Gate.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just got a pair of loafers in shark.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton, that photo is likely to be a fake. I know that. But, I thought it was fun.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
Manton, that photo is likely to be a fake. I know that. But, I thought it was fun.

What gets is me is, if someone is going lie in the caption, why use such a recognizable landmark? It's like faking a picture of an ape on the Empire State Building and saying, "This was shot in Kuala Lampur."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads