Sharing umbrella with a stranger?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Incman, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Incman

Incman Senior member

Hi everyone. This may not be 100% on topic for a clothes forum, but the majority of the people here seem to be quite gentlemanly (not sure if that's a word), and as such I hoped you might have an answer. The other day I was standing at a bus stop waiting for the bus. It was raining and I had my umbrella open to stay dry. A girl came to the bus stop after me, and she didn't have an umbrella and was just waiting in the rain. I instinctively asked her if she wanted to share my umbrella, and she said yea. My question is: Is that seen as a weird/creeper-ish thing to do, or is it pretty common practice? Thanks in advance for the help, and I apologize again if this isn't 100% relevant to the forum.

2. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Its not creepy unless youre licking your lips and touching your crotch.

3. dcg

dcg Senior member

My question is: Is that seen as a weird/creeper-ish thing to do, or is it pretty common practice?

Her acceptance suggests she didn't think so (or at the very least the weirdness was outweighed by her desire to stay dry.)

I think it's a nice thing to do.

4. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Its perfectly ok since it was a female.

5. Threak

Threak Senior member

Its perfectly ok since it was a female.

Beat me to it, +1.

6. Aluan

Aluan Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. This may not be 100% on topic for a clothes forum, but the majority of the people here seem to be quite gentlemanly (not sure if that's a word), and as such I hoped you might have an answer. The other day I was standing at a bus stop waiting for the bus. It was raining and I had my umbrella open to stay dry. A girl came to the bus stop after me, and she didn't have an umbrella and was just waiting in the rain. I instinctively asked her if she wanted to share my umbrella, and she said yea. My question is: Is that seen as a weird/creeper-ish thing to do, or is it pretty common practice? Thanks in advance for the help, and I apologize again if this isn't 100% relevant to the forum.
    Sharing an umbrella in the rain is how my parents met, so I don't think it's weird or creepy. I think it's just common courtesy. This might depend on where you live or your culture, though. You don't think it'd be rude if you were standing under an umbrella while she gets rained on and you never offered?

7. RSS

RSS Senior member

Offering to share your umbrella is quite appropriate.

8. Corniche

Corniche Senior member

9. Incman

Incman Senior member

Sharing an umbrella in the rain is how my parents met, so I don't think it's weird or creepy. I think it's just common courtesy. This might depend on where you live or your culture, though.

You don't think it'd be rude if you were standing under an umbrella while she gets rained on and you never offered?

That was exactly what I was thinking. However, it seems some people find it strange that someone would be trying to do something nice, and as such believe that they have some ulterior motive. I've held the door open before for some people and they've just stared at me like I was absolutely crazy. (I'm not btw, just an average 17 year old university kid)

10. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

It would certainly be inappropriate if I did not offer to share the umbrella with the fairer sex. The only time I don't do it is if she is really fat.

11. Incman

Incman Senior member

It would certainly be inappropriate if I did not offer to share the umbrella with the fairer sex. The only time I don't do it is if she is really fat.

LOL! I can just picture her under the whole umbrella while you stand in the rain wondering why you tried to do something nice.

12. Artigas

Artigas Senior member

I seem to remember a song on this subject.

Also as a student, I've opened a door for a lady and she walked past me to open another door for herself. I think it must be a university thing, since it's only happened there. Feminists, I guess.

13. rjacobs

rjacobs Senior member

you shouldn't share your umbrella unless she is at least, like, a 7. otherwise it's just a waste of resources

14. Souper

Souper Senior member

I seem to remember a song on this subject.

Also as a student, I've opened a door for a lady and she walked past me to open another door for herself. I think it must be a university thing, since it's only happened there. Feminists, I guess.

hermans hermits
    Bus Stop
    http://www.lyricsdepot.com/hermans-h...bus-stop.html#

15. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member