1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Share your tie expertise

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by collegeguy88, Feb 27, 2012.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:slayer:

pics or it didn't happen :smarmy:

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

TaxGenius, it's usually safe to pick a tie that complements the minor color of the suit. Of course, it also depends on what color shirt you wear and what pattern (if any) is on the shirt.

3. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Hey dude

You look light a pretty slim guy, so you might want to look at slightly slimmer than standard (3.5") ties. If so, I heartily recommend looking for Lands End and J Crew ties on eBay. Both are fantastic value and do lots of staple soporifics.

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

B&S for sure. Lots of well priced ties from the thrift store contingent here who find nice ties that don't fit in their collection, as well as guys looking to pare down theirs. Or guys like Spoo who find them in their couch and don't know what to do with them.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I just found a Drakes shantung in there! How'd you know?

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

I'm still waiting for you to get tired of that Kent Wang bicolored knit you have and flip it on B&S. :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  7. SpooPoker

I love my Wang.

8. dorolf07

dorolf07 Well-Known Member

These are good and very wearable.

9. joeman

joeman Senior member

I'm a fan of Drake's.

10. blahman

blahman Senior member

I want to wrap your Wang around my neck.

11. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

this was the first post i read in this thread before reading the much needed previous posts. :lol::lol:

its been said, but drakes, marinella, borelli, and sam hober are tops. id also add to that list Panta and Vanda.....Vanda's perfect Navy tie is the sex. and ive been mroethan pleased with any panta ive seen.

12. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

Look at Mountain and Sackett, they are quite nice. Made in USA, too.

I disagree about TieBar ties, their retail price reflects their quality. The silk wrinkles and stays wrinkled. I have a few that have come open in the back as well. I was learning w/o SF help, though :p

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  13. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

^This (www.thetiebar.com; don't own any of the others). Also, you may want to check out two sellers on SF: deveandepot1 and idfnl. (BTW, this is not spam. I am a satisfied customer of both--nice-looking stuff at really low prices.)

14. SpooPoker

Go get your own goddamn Wang to hang.

15. Naka

Naka Senior member

Too many people on SF spending all of their disposable income on Wangs these days...

16. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

17. recondite

recondite Senior member

Hint: you need to go for low contrast looks, so no black suits for you ever. Navy and charcoal are as dark as you should get with your suiting this side of black tie where you will look fine in black for reasons you don't need to know at the moment. Medium grey solids or Glen plaids, and some greyish brown herringbones which compliment your hair, will be killer suits when you can get away with wearing lighter colored suits and need to wear a white shirt, such as sales situations.

With ties that are brightly colored such as most yellow ties or one that have very high color saturation such as bright red ties, wear a pale blue shirt especially if you are in a charcoal or navy suit.

With ties that are less bold, such as burnt orange or maroon in color, you might wear pink or yellow shirts.

Deeper colors and hues such as deep red, purple or Air Force blue ties will look great with cream or ecru shirting and pale blue shirts.

And finally with pale colors such as mauve and baby blue or deep hue such as navy or burgundy will be go to ties with white shirts.

Navy and burgundy ties will be your friends since they will look great on you with either high or low contrast looks. Some grey and chocolate brown ties will be great too, the brown looking clever when you wear dark brown shoes.

If you have green eyes, then turquoise, Kelly green, and other greens will be great, as will any color that enhances your eye color.

If you can avoid very high contrast looks; e.g., navy suit, white shirt, and bright red tie, except for the most formal of evening or later occasions, you will always look great.

Quote:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  18. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

What do you guys think of this tie for the above suit? Note, the grey in the suit is darker than it appears in the picture.

[​IMG]