• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share your muscle building leg workouts

BigSur

Reaction score
I've always had skinny legs and it wasn't until just recently (about six months ago) that I decided to do something about it, but have had little success. I realize that thick legs will not happen overnight, but I suspect my improvised routine has alot to do with the minimal results I've had thus far. My legs have gotten considerabley stronger but not that much thicker. I've bought two books off Amazon and browsed a couple of websites but haven't really found anything. Any suggestions?

gyea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Do squats...

deadlifts and HIIT (high intensity interval training)

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stretch my arms parallel to the floor. I stand on my toes with my feet six inches apart, then I bend my knees, hips down, spine straight until my thighs are parallel to the floor. I hold it for 20 to 30 seconds and repeat it 9 times.

dave023

Reaction score
Eat big , think big and squat and deadlift big!!

You're a lucky man!!since there aren't any secrets to building big and strong legs...

vanity

Reaction score
I got some help from a friend and have added close to 100lbs to my squat in 2 months. ****** is also getting bigger and rounder and my legs are filling out. The problem was overtraining before.

Usual routine:
Squats - 4 sets
Walking Lunges - 3 sets
Deadlifts - 4 sets
DONE.

Change-up routine
Front squats - 4 sets
Box step-ups - 4 sets
Walking lunges - 3 sets
DONE.

I used to do squats, deadlifts, leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, everythign in one day. Like 18-20 sets. My legs wouldn't grow and I'd really, really hate leg day. Now I bang out 11-12 sets and I'm done. I'm still really tired but it's working wonders. And I enjoy doing legs a LOT now.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eccentric exercise has been shown to improve: hypertrophy of muscle.

I would suggest you implement:
1. Squats
2. Lunges
3. deadlift
4. Sled Leg Press

Focus on slower negatives and drop sets.

In addition to curls,extensions etc.

Use a supplement like NoXplode
Eat 6 times a day every 3 hours.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Eccentric exercise has been shown to improve: hypertrophy of muscle.

I would suggest you implement:
1. Squats
2. Lunges
3. deadlift
4. Sled Leg Press

Focus on slower negatives and drop sets.

In addition to curls,extensions etc.

Use a supplement like NoXplode
Eat 6 times a day every 3 hours.

Nonsense on noxplode

Studio27

Reaction score
I'm not saying any of the advice given is bad, but for a beginner:

why the hell would you be using supplements if you don't know how to work out properly yet? squats, straight leg deadlifts, lunges... start w/ a light weight & learn form as they're the more "dangerous" exercises. and eat more.

Who cares about the scientific evidence about concentric vs. eccentric contraction, compound vs. isolation, static vs. dynamic, etc. The difference will be minimal for a beginner.

eat a lot, often. exercise safely and consistently. skip HIIT for now (again, this type of training isn't all everyone cracks it up to be for anything other than conditioned athletes. I've got the research to back it up); do it later if you need to, or some other form of cardio.

eat, lift, sleep. rinse & repeat.

oh yeah, and squats.

edit: I should also add that everyone's body responds differently. Some people respond better to a higher volume, some to heavier weights, etc. etc. You'll learn as you get more into the game and then can develop something to fit your needs & body.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knucks
Nonsense on noxplode

Hardly. Verified via me and my weightlifting crew time and time again and again.
Caffiene has consistently been shown to be a performance enhancer. Documented
Creatine does allow one to perform better, endurance and strength are greater.

In this case, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Neo1824

Reaction score
I've never tried noxplode, but can say that creatine does wonders for my strength levels..legs and otherwise. I use phosphagen hp and see a ramp up in my strength within a week.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Studio27
why the hell would you be using supplements if you don't know how to work out properly yet? squats, straight leg deadlifts, lunges... start w/ a light weight & learn form as they're the more "dangerous" exercises. and eat more.

Who cares about the scientific evidence about concentric vs. eccentric contraction, compound vs. isolation, static vs. dynamic, etc. The difference will be minimal for a beginner.

eat a lot, often. exercise safely and consistently. skip HIIT for now (again, this type of training isn't all everyone cracks it up to be for anything other than conditioned athletes. I've got the research to back it up); do it later if you need to, or some other form of cardio.

eat, lift, sleep. rinse & repeat.

oh yeah, and squats.

edit: I should also add that everyone's body responds differently. Some people respond better to a higher volume, some to heavier weights, etc. etc. You'll learn as you get more into the game and then can develop something to fit your needs & body.

He's been training for six months, if he is having problems with form and performing basic core excersises wrong, which he hasn't stated but you are saying he has, then he needs a Personal Trainer to take him around before doing anything else.

I'll strongly disagree with your assumption against scientific evidence. If one wants to increase muscular hypertrophy and minimize risk of injury, the recommendations made are quite sound. You should train according to your objective not just train for the sake of training and ignore basic priniciples.

He should start training NOW according to his objectives.

We'll agree to disagree in this case.

gyea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Studio27
again, this type of training isn't all everyone cracks it up to be for anything other than conditioned athletes. I've got the research to back it up

isn't the purpose of HIIT to burn as much fat as possible, while building muscles, and not compromising muscle mass. why do you say its only for conditioned athletes?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo1824
I've never tried noxplode, but can say that creatine does wonders for my strength levels..legs and otherwise. I use phosphagen hp and see a ramp up in my strength within a week.

Yes, it is amazing I've tested using it and not using it and it is remarkable. We've had the creatine discussion before. And as you experienced it does work quite well. NoXplode (yes, crazy name) is successful and the supposed #1 supplement. because it contains 200 mg (2 cups of coffee) caffiene and creatine so it does indeed work quite well. Caffiene increases strength, focus and athletic performance. In fact, I believe the Olympics have it as an illegal substance above a certain miligram dose.

Creatine consisently works for me also, my strength and endurance is noticeably increased when running a cycle of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads