• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share It Before You Wear It

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread is for advice seekers who want quick, simple, advice on whether or not they should wear a particular outfit. You will find critiques, suggestions, and advice all geared toward informing you about your clothing choices BEFORE you step outside the door.

Do you have a cocktail party you're about to attend and aren't sure if the shirt you've chosen goes well with your jacket? Are you heading to a job interview and don't know if you are wearing an appropriate tie? Do you have a big date coming up and want to know if you're unknowingly dressed like a douche? Consider this the testing ground! Why not utilize the relative anonymity of the internet to your advantage by getting judged by strangers before you risk getting judged by your friends and peers?

Here's how it works: Lay out your clothes on the bed, or some other flat surface, and take a picture. Post the picture here and give us some idea of the context. In other words, where are you going? What are you doing? Who are you going to be around? Then, the fashion brains floating around Style Forum will advise you on whether your choice is a good one or, if not, what easy things you can do to improve the look.

Here is what I mean by laying your clothes out and taking a picture of them:

(Image from Bow Ties & Sweet Dreams Tumblr account)
tumblr_p79gg2gKbJ1u2rc3mo1_1280.png

Your pictures don't have to be this professional looking but do try to take your pictures in good light so that we can see some akin to the true color and texture of the items you are wearing.

Simple enough?

I hereby call on the expertise of @GBR @Gus @Veremund @Thin White Duke @Andy57 @An Acute Style @Murlsquirl @Burzan @Gerry Nelson @in stitches @emptym @mossrockss @Claghorn @PCK1 @venividivicibj @Coxsackie @sugarbutch and probably a whole slew of others who don't come to mind at the moment.

RabidOrphan

Reaction score
I like yours with the polo shirt a little better. Ideally it would be something with a more substantial collar than most polo shirts offer but sans tie is the way to go.
I don't know why, but I think wearing a collar shirt with a shawl collar sweater is too repetitive, so I usually wear a short sleeves Henley instead.

RabidOrphan

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I have worn navy shawl collar cardigan with white OCDB and it looked perfectly fine, but when I tried a polo shirt with this set up, it looked stranged.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find a polo and a cardi is a bit like socks and sandals in that if it’s warm enough for a polo, it’s too warm for the cardi, but hey, that’s just me. :)

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So basically, this is the forever lonely thread?

"Does this bike jersey make me look fat?"

fatguyinspandex-1-01.jpg

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd wear the tights pulled up a little higher to show off the goods. Next...
Funny you mention that. That was the one piece of criticism my dear mother shared.

"PULL YOUR PANTS DOWN. I CAN SEE YOUR CAMEL TOE FOR CHRISSAKE."

emptym

Reaction score
The first couple pics made me feel like I was out of my element. But the second couple put the thread squarely in my field of expertise. Bo may know baseball, but I know spandex.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Eli Curt You can't dress down a dinner jacket. What you are doing is, in effect, dressing dressing up your shirt and jeans. That's not a terribly formal looking dinner jacket, at least. It's cotton, doesn't appear to have grosgrain lapels (though correct me if I'm wrong), and looks like horn or plastic buttons. Not exactly the most traditional looking thing. My suggestion is that if you are going to go with the contrast of wearing it with a black turtleneck, don't be wishy-washy by pairing it with jeans. It looks discordant and wonky. I actually think it looks kinda good with the turtleneck, but try a proper pair of trousers.

My sister found the love of her life and they're tying the knot the first week of June. Naturally, it's a perfect occasion for a white cotton dinner jacket. It came yesterday so I threw it on with what I was wearing and it got me thinking: how far down can I dress this thing?

This is a black turtleneck and jeans. View attachment 959340

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I'm planning to wear this suit and tie for a wedding I have in San Francisco. Here I tried it with a very plae blue shirt, I think in real life it looks good but do you think I should go with a white shirt as I initially planned?

40806823984_3b91a2d04d_k.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads