Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Share It Before You Wear It

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Caustic Man, Apr 16, 2018.

1. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Yeah, that looks good. Part of it the lack of a tie.

2. Milksteakboiledhard

Milksteakboiledhard Senior Member

I really appreciate the level of feedback you guy provide. Back to the light grey jacket and trousers pairing - I re-examined the pair and they aren't CBD navy, but more of a dark denim blue color. If I take @emptym 's recommendation and change the belt/shoes from burgundy to walnut (AE walnut), does that give me a better color palette to work with for the tie? Depending on the real world color of the jacket, would the tie below be a possibility? I'd would be wearing a solid white shirt. The jacket is slated to arrive tomorrow, so if it makes a difference I could pose it with my trousers. Thanks again.

upload_2018-5-10_12-54-57.png

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Distinguished Member

Could you lay these things out and take a picture of them together? It's hard to get a clear idea of what this would look like with so many factors left to the imagination.

4. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Yeah, it'd be best to see everything together, taken in indirect sunlight, ideally. I would guess though that a grey tie wouldn't be ideal with a gray jacket. Sometimes, a complete monochrome look could be good. Here, for example is the aforementioned gray and black jacket w/ other gray and black things. Fwiw, I wore this w/ stone corduroy pants and black shell penny loafers.
    IMG_2500.jpg

The tie you posted looks like it's too close to the color of the sport coat. Plus, it's wool and wintery, whereas the sport coat (and event) are spring/summer. So it doesn't seem likely that it would go together.

Btw, I don't think navy and burgundy aren't good together in general, just in that pic. And his shoes weren't really burgundy imo. They were more of a brown w/ red and black elements. I wore a navy suit and burgundy shoes for my wedding. Your blue pants and gray jacket may go well with true burgundy. But as mentioned, gray jackets and blue odd pants aren't very easy to pull off. In the future, I'd try to focus on light gray, mid grey, tan/khaki, and stone for pants and dark blue, dark brown, or green sport coats. They tend to be the most versatile.

5. toplel

toplel Senior Member

Yes/No?

For work; I'm in Information Technology & the bar is pretty low here. People wear jeans/bad flannel shirts up to business casual, I usually go with dark blue jeans & a sport coat.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 9:58 AM

6. Caustic Man

Does not cohere. The jeans are skinny and the jacket is more traditionally fitting, making you look top heavy. I'd suggest looser fitting pants or a slimmer jacket to bring the proportions into balance. As well, the jacket's strong shoulders don't look right with the slouchy feel of the jeans. Black shoes never seem to look right with denim and this is no exception, especially since everything else is relatively light. My advice: Scrap this look and start over.

7. toplel

toplel Senior Member

Thanks for your feedback. I am kinda top heavy so a slimmer jacket unlikely to fit. Actually lifting rn as I pretend to wfh :cool2:

Anyone else?

8. Caustic Man

All the more reason to not go with a jacket that is highly structured. Structure is meant to make less athletic men look like you. Structure on you, however, can tend to look cartoonish. Go for unpadded jackets for a more proportional look.

9. Milksteakboiledhard

Milksteakboiledhard Senior Member

I agree that the jacket's structure is too strong for the casual feet of the rest of the outfit. It looks like you changed out of your suit trousers and into your jeans.

10. toplel

toplel Senior Member

I will keep that in mind when buying my next jacket.

I already own this jacket though - can we help this by changing the pants/shoes?

11. Caustic Man

Well, yeah that was my point. More proportional trousers and brown shoes.

12. RabidOrphan

RabidOrphan Well-Known Member

Fucking on point!

I would like to recommend that topel uses shoe tree/newspaper to absorb the moisture from the shoes when he is not wearing them. Try to rotate your shoes so that you do not wear the same pair too many days in a row.