1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Share It Before You Wear It

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Caustic Man, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

I usually pair grey jackets with blue trousers, and blue jackets with grey or brown trousers.

2. Epicure

Epicure Senior Member

I'm a little perplexed by your own state of perplexity over trouser pairings for the pictured jacket. Assuming an appropriate weight of fabric is observed, I can see this jacket pairing with any pair of non-patterned odd trousers you might throw at it.

When I consider all the winter weight trousers in my wardrobe, I can't think of a pair that wouldn't work with this jacket. To my my eye, and IMHO, any of the following would work, though the list is certainly not exhaustive:

-any shade of off-white from the lightest cream to darker hues of beige and taupe, etc.
    -any shade of brown through light tan to chocolate or charcoal brown
    -any shade of grey
    -any shade of navy, including brighter, medium blues right through to indigo
    -any shade of olive
    -burgundy
    -bottle/forest/hunter greens
    -teal
    -petrol blue
    -purple
    -black :devil::stirpot:

With the darker, saturated colours, I think you'd do well to choose fabrics with a melange effect, and the same goes for the brighter, saturated colours, unless a pair of trousers in those categories happens to be something like corduroy or moleskin. In light coloured neutrals, this rule won't hurt to observe, but is likely to be less critical to a successful pairing.

3. Deonyi

Deonyi New Member

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but I've been told not to wear desert boots with socks and shorts. Is this actually a 'rule' or good advice? This is how I usually dress when going out in public in shorts. Note that I'm from Australia. I thought this was how walk socks were meant to be worn.

fit.png

4. RabidOrphan

RabidOrphan Well-Known Member

I think you broke this thread with this picture.

I don't know what the rules are, but if the weather is cold, wear pants. If the weather is hot, don't wear sweater, long socks, and boots.

Edit: A word.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018

5. Eli Curt

Eli Curt Senior Member

Blinks.

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

Plan to wear this to a wedding. Haven't took the suit to the tailor, that's why it still have the basting. Will pair it with a white linen square and... I need to get black shoes haha.

[​IMG]

7. ColinYB

ColinYB Member

If you remove the socks or wear a much shorter variant, you could pull off the SAS desert look from WWII, which admittedly I only know of from comics I used to own 20+ years ago.

8. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Distinguished Member

I can't find a full picture online but I know what you mean! Full English Patient style.

9. toplel

toplel Senior Member

Showoff