• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share It Before You Wear It

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sized up to a 42. This is a cotton jacket.

I'm strictly looking for feedback on the jacket fit. Is the chest way too roomy (take it in) or wear it like this?
20180831_181735-01.jpeg
20180831_181738-01.jpeg

Horses

Reaction score
I used to wear xs slim J Crew button downs to work, but I’ve gained 20 pounds from weight lifting (5’11” 150-155 pounds).

I always struggle with fit. This is a slim small. Is it too tight around my arms? I’m not super muscular or anything. I’m still in the skinny side, but but my body is so different now and I don’t know what looks right on me.

Should I get a small regular instead?

1B660A00-371D-42D6-8E70-678E1FC31C94.jpeg

AC4EE7AC-3F2E-4C76-BBE7-67C316C4C1F0.jpeg

DFA01710-FBB1-4728-B6E6-027C34678BD3.jpeg

4skin

Reaction score
I used to wear xs slim J Crew button downs to work, but I’ve gained 20 pounds from weight lifting (5’11” 150-155 pounds).

I always struggle with fit. This is a slim small. Is it too tight around my arms? I’m not super muscular or anything. I’m still in the skinny side, but but my body is so different now and I don’t know what looks right on me.

Should I get a small regular instead?

View attachment 1028693

View attachment 1028694

View attachment 1028695

It seems to be a tight fit, but from here, it looks alright... This is more about how you feel inside I guess...

iabm

Reaction score
Hi all, looking at the suit (image attached) what are your thoughts? It looks pretty good I think. I'm not sure on the purple tie and pocket square, can anyone recommend a colour that would go with this rather than purple? I'm thinking this suit, different colour tie and black shoes... A friend said it'd go with brown shoes too although I'm not convinced...

Look forward to the replies and your thoughts.

Cavani-Henry-Three-Piece-Suit-Chest-Detail.jpg

Horses

Reaction score
Hi all, looking at the suit (image attached) what are your thoughts? It looks pretty good I think. I'm not sure on the purple tie and pocket square, can anyone recommend a colour that would go with this rather than purple? I'm thinking this suit, different colour tie and black shoes... A friend said it'd go with brown shoes too although I'm not convinced...

View attachment 1028934

If you want a bold look, I think the purple you have looks good. If you're not as comfortable with a bold look, I'd recommend either a less saturated purple or a navy.

I'm don't know anything about the following stores or brands -- I just found them on Google Images and am posting for the color.

https://www.shoptieoneon.com/men-s-solid-dark-purple-tie-3658.html

https://www.thetiebar.com/product/35700

My suggestion for shoes is black.

3658.jpg

35700.jpg

iabm

Reaction score
Ah, nice one! I thought about the Navy! I wasn't sure my first post above posted so posted it in the main forum (Sorry about that).

Think Navy would be good :)

B

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked this up at barney's labor day sale. I definitely did not plan on coming home with something like this when I left this morning but there was a slight snag on the back so the discount was just too steep to walk away from.

It's a heavyweight linen in their Balthazar cut. A very interesting jacket I'll probably end up wearing with a white shirt and jeans or perhaps some earth tones trousers.
20180902_174628.jpeg
20180902_174637.jpeg

iabm

Reaction score
I just picked this up at barney's labor day sale. I definitely did not plan on coming home with something like this when I left this morning but there was a slight snag on the back so the discount was just too steep to walk away from.

It's a heavyweight linen in their Balthazar cut. A very interesting jacket I'll probably end up wearing with a white shirt and jeans or perhaps some earth tones trousers. View attachment 1029514 View attachment 1029515

Very nice! Good find! :)

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to wear...

Nope. Looks great as is.

Hi all, looking at the suit (image attached) what are your thoughts?

Never wear or buy matching tie / pocket square sets. They are cheap and tacky looking. By all means, let your pocket square complement your tie, but never a matching set.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's hard to say anything about this suit since so little of it is visible. However, from what I can see the lapels look miniscule. Not a good start. The cloth looks "okay" but I'm not a fan of muddled looking patterns. That's a personal preference, though. The contrast stitching on the edge of the breast pocket looks bad. The cloth looks like it has a small purple over-check which can be challenging. The solution you came up with demonstrates how challenging it is because the purple tie doesn't look good. The cloth of the tie and pocket square looks cheap and the smoothness of it doesn't pair well with the textured suit cloth. A more textured purple tie might work better but I'd steer clear from that color altogether. A navy or brown tie would work depending on the texture. If you insist on wearing that suit then black shoes would work but a darker brown would be okay as well as long as the tie is harmonious. I'd think twice about even wearing a suit made from that cloth, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads