• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share It Before You Wear It

toplel

Reaction score
So, I'm about 5'7" and stocky at about 190 lbs.
[/SPOILER]

Both of those are a little long for you. Disclaimer is I'm not an expert but I'm surprised no one else is pointing that out.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's part of the difficulty. He wasn't asking for specific advice on what you adjust, he was just asking which was a better starting point for his body in his MTM efforts. In other words, he was asking what it right with these suits, not what is wrong. But both would need a lot of adjustments, length being only one.

flvinny521

Reaction score
Both of those are a little long for you. Disclaimer is I'm not an expert but I'm surprised no one else is pointing that out.

You're correct, these are both regular lengths where my final garment would normally be a short. Neither company has a 44S available to try on so this was the closest we could get up front.

toplel

Reaction score
EDIT: My mistake.

How much can you hem on a jacket length without it looking disportionate?

flvinny521

Reaction score
EDIT: My mistake.

How much can you hem on a jacket length without it looking disportionate?

Not much.

They don't just hem the length and leave everything else the same. There are many adjustments when moving from a regular to a short. I'm not suggesting they leave everything the same and chop an inch and a half off the bottom...

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understood he was saying to shorten a sized regular to a short after purchasing. I misunderstood.
They don't just hem the length and leave everything else the same. There are many adjustments when moving from a regular to a short. I'm not suggesting they leave everything the same and chop an inch and a half off the bottom...

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, the term “hem” made the question a little confusing. I have no doubt that both KW and SM would be mindful of the proportions when shortening a jacket pattern. You can ask about it to be sure. It’s definitely true that MTM will have a limit to how much they can adjust their patterns so you might want to inquire.

RabidOrphan

Reaction score
The new wedding tie came . . . unfortunately, I also impulse bought two new suits. I am 5' 4", 135 lbs, and usually 36S Ralph Lauren suits fit me well with minimal alteration. These new suits, however, feel tight in the shoulders. I am unable to cross my arms in neither of them.

IMG_0137 (2).JPG
IMG_0142 (2).JPG
IMG_0145 (2).JPG
IMG_0149 (2).JPG
IMG_0158 (2).JPG
IMG_0161 (2).JPG

The navy suit is a slim fit, and the grey suit is custom fit. Should I try size 38S or classic fit instead? All my old suits, Polo RL, RLBL, RLPL, BB Milano, BBBF, and TB suits are size 36S and still fit well in the shoulders. Thanks.

RabidOrphan

Reaction score
Those are both really bad. Tight in the wasit, bad sleeve pitch, waving in the shoulder, trousers don't drape right. I don't know what you should try except to return those.

So the jackets are too small while pants are too big?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not saying the trousers are too big they just don't drape straight. You see the bunching in the back of the leg? You shouldn't have that. Often it can be solved by lowering the rear rise of the trouser but I don't know how expensive that would be. As for the jackets they aren't right for you. In some places, yes, they are "small" or tight, in other places it's really a matter of balance and proportion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads