• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share It Before You Wear It

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. But I figured the info would still be helpful if case you get something similar later.

It is, thanks.

Does this look too much like a suit jacket (it is)?
upload_2018-8-16_12-30-49.png

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if I should go in for it. I once had a far junkier jacket that looked similar and I wore it often. I agree that with the right buttons it would make a nice colder weather, thicker jacket. Here's a closer picture of the material:

upload_2018-8-16_12-37-59.png

emptym

Reaction score
That looks like but has enough texture to be worn as a SC. I'd probably tuck the flaps.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks like but has enough texture to be worn as a SC. I'd probably tuck the flaps.
Thanks gents - I ordered it. Fall's right around the corner. My button shop said they don't have brown MOP but they have a strong selection they'd be happy to go through with me.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're interested in brown MoP I got mine from @kentwang . They don't list them on their website but if you get in contact with someone they might be able to sell you a set.
Strong lead. I will reach out if I don't find something pleasing. Thanks duder!

flvinny521

Reaction score
I'm posting this a few different places, so I apologize in advance if you've read this multiples times. I'm currently working on MTM garments from two different companies, and I'd just like some feedback about which cut you feel is better for my body and the garment's use. I have my own thoughts already, and I may use both, but I just would like confirmation or for you to save me from an awful mistake if I'm wrong. I live in a very hot climate, and I'm having some suits made after a recent promotion. While I do wear a suit for work five days per week, I do not have to be ultra conservative. I am still very much a menswear beginner, but already I'll likely be dressed better than anybody I'll run into on a daily basis.

So, I'm about 5'7" and stocky at about 190 lbs. I've got a hips forward stance, a sloping shoulder, and some other postural weirdness. I am going to leave the adjustment advice to the respective companies (though if you see something and want to chime in, I'm all ears), but I'd like to hear why they may or may not be right for me, and any styling advice you may have for the final product. These are both trial garments, so there will be fabric, fit and styling changes.

The trousers are unfinished and just pinned, so obviously not at the correct length.

i-ftZBsq8.jpg
i-9ZwGHZ3.jpg
i-gnW6BQj.jpg
i-NwGXtm9.jpg

Again, the trousers are unfinished and pinned.

i-4xdzLnP.jpg
i-bTf2W5b.jpg
i-bRDPfK3.jpg
i-wDX6zhd.jpg

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm posting this a few different places, so I apologize in advance if you've read this multiples times. I'm currently working on MTM garments from two different companies, and I'd just like some feedback about which cut you feel is better for my body and the garment's use. I have my own thoughts already, and I may use both, but I just would like confirmation or for you to save me from an awful mistake if I'm wrong. I live in a very hot climate, and I'm having some suits made after a recent promotion. While I do wear a suit for work five days per week, I do not have to be ultra conservative. I am still very much a menswear beginner, but already I'll likely be dressed better than anybody I'll run into on a daily basis.

So, I'm about 5'7" and stocky at about 190 lbs. I've got a hips forward stance, a sloping shoulder, and some other postural weirdness. I am going to leave the adjustment advice to the respective companies (though if you see something and want to chime in, I'm all ears), but I'd like to hear why they may or may not be right for me, and any styling advice you may have for the final product. These are both trial garments, so there will be fabric, fit and styling changes.

The trousers are unfinished and just pinned, so obviously not at the correct length.

i-ftZBsq8.jpg
i-9ZwGHZ3.jpg
i-gnW6BQj.jpg
i-NwGXtm9.jpg

Again, the trousers are unfinished and pinned.

i-4xdzLnP.jpg
i-bTf2W5b.jpg
i-bRDPfK3.jpg
i-wDX6zhd.jpg
As I said in the other thread, I like how the S&M looks on the chest. Is that a 44R or L?

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I said in the other thread, I like how the S&M looks on the chest. Is that a 44R or L?

Not only this, but I think the midsection is more flattering from behind than the wrinkles on the Kent Wang. It almost looks like the KW is unlined and the S&M is lined.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@flvinny521 It's hard to make a prediction about which one will end up looking and fitting better since you don't have a made to measure garment yet. I am pretty familiar with KW's MTM options but I know nothing about SM's options which makes it even more difficult to advise you. Both need a lot of work. I would say that right off the rack the SM suit fits slightly better in the chest, waist, and seat of the jacket but it's still not great. The KW fits a little better in the shoulders and sleeve head. So then the issue becomes whether SM or KW will have the adjustment options to correct these things. KW might fit slightly less well overall at the moment but they may have more options to adjust in order to get a really nice fit. See what I mean? Whatever the case, both seem like a decent place to start in terms of fit. I can't see you going horribly wrong with either.

flvinny521

Reaction score

This is a 44R. I would normally take a 44S, which isn't available. Somehow, Kent Wang's 44R seems just about the right length to my eyes. I prefer the tighter armhole of the Kent Wang jacket. Also, the S&M shoulders buckle with any arm movement at all. Not sure if they're just slightly too wide or the sleevehead also needs tweaking.

Not only this, but I think the midsection is more flattering from behind than the wrinkles on the Kent Wang. It almost looks like the KW is unlined and the S&M is lined.

I think this is primarily caused by my posture. I tend to have the pooling fabric in the small of my back on all RTW jackets.

@flvinny521 It's hard to make a prediction about which one will end up looking and fitting better since you don't have a made to measure garment yet. I am pretty familiar with KW's MTM options but I know nothing about SM's options which makes it even more difficult to advise you. Both need a lot of work. I would say that right off the rack the SM suit fits slightly better in the chest, waist, and seat of the jacket but it's still not great. The KW fits a little better in the shoulders and sleeve head. So then the issue becomes whether SM or KW will have the adjustment options to correct these things. KW might fit slightly less well overall at the moment but they may have more options to adjust in order to get a really nice fit. See what I mean? Whatever the case, both seem like a decent place to start in terms of fit. I can't see you going horribly wrong with either.

Thanks for your advice. S&M, from what I understand, are even more flexible than KW, for what it's worth. I am surprised that people prefer the S&M chest; to me, the lapels are bowing more. Also, the lower armholes make the jacket seem too wide.

Anybody with thoughts on how the particular cuts work with my stature?

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rabid, I think you are fine with loafers in a church wedding if you are in the U.S. Other places may have different expectations but here you’re fine.

As for your dinner and dancing outfit I would personally stay away from pinstripes. I do think it tends to read very serious and business-like. But that’s just a nitpick as it is likely that few, if any, will object to it. You can still go with a dark suit but if it were me I would go with a solid color and a wedding tie like a silver and black Glen Plaid like this one from Kent Wang.

View attachment 1016308

Staring at that gives my eyes a seizure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads