• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shaq Retires

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
No. Wilt would stand up well to anyone from any era. The man was a beast ahead of his time.

Yeah, I've always disagreed with "he never played against anyone his size" argument against Wilt. There are hardly any centers in the league today that are his size. Could Brad Miller, Chris Bosh, or Chris Kaman match up against Wilt physically? I certainly think an argument could be made that the forwards and guards coming to double-team him would be bigger in today's NBA, but, as far as a one on one matchup, the center position seemes to have plateaued, size-wise.

Wilt was ten years older than Kareem and in his passing phase when they matched-up. They played each other for four seasons, Kareem averaged 26/16 and Wilt averaged 23/18.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Yeah, I've always disagreed with "he never played against anyone his size" argument against Wilt. There are hardly any centers in the league today that are his size. Could Brad Miller, Chris Bosh, or Chris Kaman match up against Wilt physically? I certainly think an argument could be made that the forwards and guards coming to double-team him would be bigger in today's NBA, but, as far as a one on one matchup, the center position seemes to have plateaued, size-wise.

Wilt was ten years older than Kareem and in his passing phase when they matched-up. They played each other for four seasons, Kareem averaged 26/16 and Wilt averaged 23/18.

I don't buy that line about him never playing anyone his size either. Very few of today's centers are better than Bill Russell, Nate Thurmond, Willis Reed, or Bob Lanier. Reed and Lanier were skilled big men who went about 6'10" and 250 lbs. and Thurmond was 6'11", strong as an ox, and never backed down. And Russell was Russell.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I don't buy that line about him never playing anyone his size either. Very few of today's centers are better than Bill Russell, Nate Thurmond, Willis Reed, or Bob Lanier. Reed and Lanier were skilled big men who went about 6'10" and 250 lbs. and Thurmond was 6'11", strong as an ox, and never backed down. And Russell was Russell.

And Artis Gilmore was massive. I think people may forget that there are a good number more than now. Dilution is probably a factor.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nate Thurmond is pretty much the coolest guy ever.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Nate Thurmond is pretty much the coolest guy ever.

Frazier, Clyde Frazier.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And Artis Gilmore was massive. I think people may forget that there are a good number more than now. Dilution is probably a factor.
I didn't mention Artis Gilmore because he played in the ABA until after Wilt had retired. Used to love watching him play, though. Can you imagine standing beside someone 7'2" with another 6-8" of afro??

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Frazier, Clyde Frazier.
Well yeah, but Thurmond used to come help out with our junior high school basketball team once in awhile. He was good friends with our coach/English teacher. Just a great guy.

Brogued

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fir3fox
To be fair Shaq was still fairly young. They did get swept and I'll agree that Hakeem out performed him in the series but the the discrepancy between their individual performances wasn't that big.
Sure, but the assertion was that Shaq would have manhandled the other centers, which he certainly did not do in the '95 Finals. When he was young, he was more prone to the manhandling too.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well yeah, but Thurmond used to come help out with our junior high school basketball team once in awhile. He was good friends with our coach/English teacher. Just a great guy.

Great story. I think few people who saw the beast he was on the court would picture him working with kids.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I didn't mention Artis Gilmore because he played in the ABA until after Wilt had retired. Used to love watching him play, though. Can you imagine standing beside someone 7'2" with another 6-8" of afro??

Good call, I misremembered. Pretty cool video of one of the few times they did match up....

http://wn.com/1972_ABA_vs_NBA_All_St...Daniels_part_1

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good call, I misremembered. Pretty cool video of one of the few times they did match up.... http://wn.com/1972_ABA_vs_NBA_All_St...Daniels_part_1
Thanks for posting this; I enjoyed it. Clearly, Chamberlain, Gilmore, and Lanier are the best big men on the floor, though I enjoyed seeing Dr. J go against Connie Hawkins. They were 2 of my favorites.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah I hear you on Thurmond. Clyde actually rode the subway to home games in the 70s, a different time.

On the centers from different eras thing, Wes Unseld was another monster averaging 14 boards per game over a long career.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think these "best ever" lists are impossible but fwiw this is ESPN's list of the greatest centers of all time, from a few years ago. 1. Abdul-Jabbar 2. Chamberlain 3. Russell 4. O'Neal 5. Olajuwon 6. Malone 7. Walton 8. Robinson 9. Mikan 10. Ewing Others receiving votes (points): Willis Reed (12), Arvydas Sabonis (12), Bob Lanier (8), Dave Cowens (6), Nate Thurmond (6), Robert Parish (4), Bob McAdoo (4), Artis Gilmore (3), Spencer Haywood (3), Wes Unseld (2), Dwight Howard (1) Unseld, Thurmond, Gilmore, Spen, those were fun guys to watch. Cowens memorized the entire Boston phone book apparently. Reed was cool. Those were fun eras. Now, there's only Dwight and Bynum....

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
I think these "best ever" lists are impossible but fwiw this is ESPN's list of the greatest centers of all time, from a few years ago.

1. Abdul-Jabbar
2. Chamberlain
3. Russell
4. O'Neal
5. Olajuwon
6. Malone
7. Walton
8. Robinson
9. Mikan
10. Ewing

Others receiving votes (points):
Willis Reed (12), Arvydas Sabonis (12), Bob Lanier (8), Dave Cowens (6), Nate Thurmond (6), Robert Parish (4), Bob McAdoo (4), Artis Gilmore (3), Spencer Haywood (3), Wes Unseld (2), Dwight Howard (1)

Unseld, Thurmond, Gilmore, Spen, those were fun guys to watch. Cowens memorized the entire Boston phone book apparently. Reed was cool. Those were fun eras. Now, there's only Dwight and Bynum....

Sabonis better than Cowens? Walton better than David Robinson? That list highlights what a complete joke ESPN is. Really, over the last decade, they've proudly shed themselves of any journalistic credibility they once had. And that's fine, they're an entertainment network, and have made millions being one. But when they try to do serious journalism, it's pretty hard to take them seriously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads