• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Shaping shoe trees yourself

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received two pairs of Grape vine hill trees in the mail. They don't fit in one pair of shoes I have because the toe is very narrow, so I was thinking about sanding them down myself-starting out with 60 grit paper and eventually using 100 to smooth it out. Has anyone tried this? I have another tree that fits them, but this seems like an easy way to customize your own trees. The cedar should be very easily shaped.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I just received two pairs of Grape vine hill trees in the mail. They don't fit in one pair of shoes I have because the toe is very narrow, so I was thinking about sanding them down myself-starting out with 60 grit paper and eventually using 100 to smooth it out. Has anyone tried this? I have another tree that fits them, but this seems like an easy way to customize your own trees. The cedar should be very easily shaped.

To my knowledge, that's exactly how to do it.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was planning to borrow my friend's power sander to shrink down some of my woodlore trees, I don't see any problem with it.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
....so I was thinking about sanding them down myself-starting out with 60 grit paper and eventually using 100 to smooth it out.

Use the grit paper only for the final touch, otherwise you work yourself to exhaustion.

Get yourself a "˜Surform Rasp', that's the tool all the last makers use these days.

Traditionally last makers have used a conventional wood rasp, those would clog and were very difficult to keep sharp.
With 'Surform Rasps' you can take a great deal of wood away in a short time, they don't clog and once the cutting blade gets blunt,
you keep the handle and replace the blade.

These tools appeared on the market maybe thirty years ago, and according to Terry Moore, last maker extraordinaire,
"They have revolutionized last making!"

Vince Lombardi's Ghost

Reaction score
Microplane makes a set of snap-in rasps that work very well. They zest a lemon very nicely as well.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about using a draw knife?

Draw knife made by Cape Forge, totally hand made in USA.

My "real" pen knife ( the knife used to cut the nib of quill pen) was custom made by them.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's