Shanghai Tailors: Midrange

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by WR237, Sep 21, 2013.

1. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Thanks for the review, @Stebbin . I don't know if this came up in your discussions with C & G, but is it possible to go in for a fitting on their lower-end suits?

Also, does anybody know anything about their shirts and trousers, or have an (even) cheaper recommendation for somebody in Shanghai to make those?

2. Stebbin

Stebbin Senior member

I'm based in Sydney so all my orders were online CMT but it's best to ask Amy Yang. I normally use Luxire or Charles Tyrwhitt for my shirts so I cannot comment on the quality of C&G. However, their trousers that came with my suits have been very nicely detailed with curtain waistband, a cotton fabric for the pocket lining and bemberg that is half lined. Perhaps the only criticism I can offer is the seat and hip measurements were a little tight but maybe it's saying more about me getting out of the office more than their tailoring.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

If you're in Shanghai, then I'm sure you can have fittings for any tailored clothing Amy and her team create. Ask Amy herself to make sure, but I'm sure it won't be a problem.

4. tharr011

tharr011 Member

I'm in Shanghai and am currently in the process of getting a pair of flannel trousers made from C&G. I have been to their office for a measurement and will be going for a fitting next week. Amy is very helpful and she showed me some of their work and I was impressed. The one annoying thing is that the office is harder to get to from public transportation. Its far out in Pudong. I got the sense that the large majority of their work comes from MTM from other countries/companies. The craftsmanship is impressive but they don't do the work in the office so they have to call the tailor in for fittings and measurements. If the trousers turn out like they should I will get more shirts and jackets as well.

5. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

Hey guys, am in Shanghai for a few days from tomorrow.

Is C&G worth using over the usual tailors from HK, in terms of price v quality? I'm based in HK. If it's a more cost effective option, I'll give them a try (all HK tailors start from about HKD6000-7000 for a suit). Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

6. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

I went to the Shanghai South Bund fabric market and ordered a lot of shirts from stall 237.

Pricing was 150RMB (USD24), no haggling; quality of the fabric was comparable to usual offerings from Jantzen in HK (Jantzen's pricing is about HKD400-500 per shirt, so basically I'm saving 50-60% at the fabric market).

Jennifer there can speak English alright; I speak passable Mandarin so that made the process easier with other staff, the staff were generally friendly but busy. You can imagine people wandering in and out randomly like most busy China retail places so they get pretty packed, not to mention a lot of expats because they've had some positive reviews from other expats.

I got them to copy the cut of a couple of shirts that I'm very happy with, so I hope they work out - pricing made me buy a few more shirts than expected!

I ordered on Friday and said I want them by Sunday, they agreed but unfortunately when I got there on Sunday, they still needed a few more hours. So instead, they'll be delivered to HK within a couple of weeks - so I'll give a comprehensive review then.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

7. tharr011

tharr011 Member

I actually ordered a pair of burgundy corduroy pants from stall 237 on Sunday. I just went there because there seemed to be good trip advisor reviews about that stall.

I went to C&G for a trouser fitting and they looked very good. I also placed an order for a sport jacket when I was there. I think C&G is somewhere between MTM and "true bespoke" with multiple fitting. I believe there is one fitting with a half made up garment and then the finished product.

One thing about C&G is that it doesn't seem like they have many fabrics on hand. They have plenty of swatches but they have to order the actual fabric from the company so you have to pay shipping.

Pound for pound (or RMB for RMB) C&G would probably be better than most Hong Kong tailors. But to get the most out of the process you would probably need to be in Shanghai for over a week or have very good measurements to send them.

8. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

Tharr01,

How much were the items you ordered at C&G, roughly? Would be interested to see how prices compare to HK.

9. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Shanghai C&G also do CMT tailoring, so feel free to buy your fabrics elsewhere and bring them in.

C&G will do true bespoke, MTM, whatever you want and are willing/able to pay/have time for. To get the very best results, naturally being on hand for measuring, fittings etc. is a given, so if you're in that area, give them a go.

10. tharr011

tharr011 Member

Yeah I think Wraith is right, if you pay a little extra you can get more fittings. I paid about $250 for a pair of flannel trousers and $500 for a sport jacket. The flannel was Hardy Minnis and the sport jacket was Huddersfield Cloth.

11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Even if they don't have the fabric on hand, they can order just about any brand fabric in for you. Expensive or not so, it's all about what you want and can afford.

12. tharr011

tharr011 Member

My experience with C&G has been great. The tailors know what they are doing and Amy is very nice and helpful. The construction and fit of the products seems to be great. This has been a great first step into bespoke. Granted, my only other experience was mid tier MTM back in the states but this is a totally different level (but actually cheaper).

Really my only regret is I didn't start getting things made earlier in the season. I really want a tweed sport coat but I don't know if it will be worth it because it would be after the New Year until I actually get it. I may just get some 3-season stuff made.

Also, Amy said they are planning on moving offices in the next month to a more centrally located location in town.

On another note, Suitsupply is building their 2nd Shanghai store on Angfu Lu.

[​IMG]
    This is the gun check jacket that is currently being made up by C&G.

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ Great stuff. Thanks for updating us :)

14. justinzx

justinzx Member

Hi all,

Currently in Shanghai and have been a long time lurker to this site. Have used a wide variety of tailors both in HK and SH (Chan to the fabric market) and looking to make a batch of shirts and suits without breaking the bank. How much woudl C&G shirts cost and what fabric do they use? Thank you!

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ You'd best ask Amy Yang at C&G. Like all tailors, they use a variety of fabrics, and costs vary depending on the factors involved.